cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic type tracking on the portal

N/A

OK, so plusnet in its wisdom has started throttling types of traffic when you use more then X amount.

So... can we have something that tells how much we've used of these different traffic types, and what the limits are?

The 'Peak Time' traffic counters recently got added to the portal. Seems sensible to add the traffic type counters, so people know how close they are to really slow downloads.

It might encourage them to not download every bit of junk that goes past their mouse pointer...

S
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

It's only Usenet that is further restricted... and I agree there should be a Usenet data counter on the portal, but I don't believe it's currently high on the development stack.
N/A

I was sure I saw someone bitching their p2p traffic had been capped under a similar scheme?
LiamM
Grafter

The only direct shaping that occurs is when you hit the SUP levels a couple of times and you are placed on management (which is what the Off-Peak / Peak figures represent) or when you hit your Usenet 15Gb limit.

Usage within these limits should be at full possible speed on the network.

There is a little P2P shaping and Bronze shaping at peak times and busy times on the network but these don't affect users on an individual basis - they affect the network.

So it might be worthwhile to be able to see what traffic management is happening at any one time, perhaps some management graphs. But nothing of an individual user nature is required.
N/A

p2p is only capped by the SUP if u like.

But it is throttled to unuseable levels most of the time.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We are currently working to make more information available to people on the portal and should soon have graphs up there showing how much data has been dropped on each of the gold, silver and bronze queues.
LiamM
Grafter

That sounds fab...