Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic management

trentboy
Grafter

Traffic management

Hi There,

do you have peak time management applied to your account or Traffic management level 1?

If you go over more than 20GB in a month between 08:00 and 00:00 your p2p, usenet and FTP traffic has traffic management level 1 applied to is which means its throttled to 512K, when you go over 25GB its 256K.

Its important to note that the peak times for traffic management are 08:00-00:00 and not 16:00-00:00 like the SUP.

It sucks, at the moment I am throttled to 128K lol.

Hence why I am moving to a new ADSL provider, 20GB clean allowance for 2/3rds of the day is pathetic.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Traffic management

OK, according to my "View My Usage" page, my peak time usage was 6.33GB last month and 28.11GB this month. The SUP says you get 30GB, so why have I just been capped?

Is it possible to tell how close we are to hitting the limits, or do we just have to guess?
N/A

Traffic management

trentham,

This 20GB allowance is only for two thirds of the day at the moment while the automated system is being developed.
Once the system has been completed and is automated you will only see this 20GB allowance during the hours of 16:00 - 00:00. The SUP only allows 30GB anyway so theres a 10GB split.

This change should be here for about the end of feb although nothing has been confirmed to say this is definate and nothing has been said to say anything to the contrary either.

Can I ask how you are managing to use the full 20GB allowance ? If its P2P or USENET, is there no way of leaving this until after 00:00 and scheduling it? If its FTP I suppose it is for both the dedicated servers you are running amongst other things. This is a little harder to control with regards to timing I have to admit but still possible.

Regards,
trentboy
Grafter

Traffic management

tomspcs,

It’s mainly P2P traffic, very little FTP.

I can easily schedule the P2P traffic and that’s what I used to do, it was scheduled to throttle right down to 5K during the peak hours, however when they introduced the new system the hours changed from 08:00 - 00:00 and I had no knowledge until I had already used 20GB.

Had I known the hours had changed I would have made sure to open my p2p traffic between 00:00 and 08:00.

If I had known about the hours and still went over my limit then I deserve the traffic management to be applied however if they change it how are we meant to know?

I never knew these hours were temporary that’s at least some good news but unfortunately its the 2nd time I have been shafted by a change in policy that I am unaware of so I am tired of putting up with crappy ADSL for the rest of the month until my next billing cycle therefore I have already started my migration.

I guess there are always going to be people affected when a new policy is released but it just feels like PN don’t really attempt to make the unhappy people happy.

They could quite easily remove the traffic management from my account and say ok fair enough you never knew about the new hours, and if I did it again then I cannot complain.
N/A

Traffic management

trentham,

I am sorry to hear that you feel shafted by Plusnet. I have to be fair to both you and Plusnet in answering this post, so please dont shoot me down for my comments Wink

In your defence it would have been highly beneficial for Plusnet to have emailed its userbase to notify them that the temporary peak time was due to be enforced until Feb. As it is this didnt happen, ultimately resulting in a lot of posts similar to yours over the past 2 months.

In Plusnets defence, there were notifications on both the portal and the boards with an update on what was happening. In this it stated that this new peak time would be in force for a short while and as a temporary measure.

I think its a little on both sides in the end of the day. More fault on Plusnets but still not completely. Its something that has happened and has passed.
I dont think the userbase will be too forgiving if such events were to arise again in the future, but assurances have already been made that communications will be improved.

Your decision to move is yours and yours alone, but if you want my advice, I would rather stick with it, sit it out and wait and see what happens. I dont think I need to mention that other companies such as F2S, nildram etc use ellacoyas also. I dont think I need to mention that wannabe, tiscali* and the rest of them have low usage allowances and are severly slow ( which suggests over crowded networks ).

I would say that despite the past Plusnet are still a damn fine ISP and one to be reckoned with. This is off course unless they decide to follow in the footsteps of others and go back on their assurances.

Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

Traffic management

I dont think I need to mention that wannabe, *zen* and the rest of them have low usage allowances and are severly slow ( which suggests over crowded networks ).

What are you on Tom? :shock: What is Zen doing in there? Has something happened I haven't heard about?
N/A

Traffic management

lol sorry,

I take that back I wasnt meant to include zen lol. I was looking at a list of ISP's at the time and zen must have crept in Shockedops: . I have said it earlier on and ill say it again "This speed problem with BT is causing me to make mistakes GRRRRrrr" lol.

Regards,
trentboy
Grafter

Traffic management

tomspcs,

I agree with your post and understand I cannot blame anyone for going over my limit, I just wish it was communicated better. the only time I visit the forums or the site is when something goes wrong with my account and by then its usually to late haha.

Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail, I know this is a good ISP but its not the only good ISP, I am moving to Zen so I think I am making a good decision, but only time will tell.

Thank you again.
shellsong
Grafter

Traffic management

Phew! You had me going there-- I thought I'd entered a parallel universe somehow! Wink :lol:
N/A

Traffic management

I'm literally computer illiterate... Can someone enlighten me what SUP, FTP etc and what the differences are? Or can someone show me the links to the means of them. The only thing I know is p2p which is like my downloads stuff from torrents right? Shockedops: Thanks.
N/A

Traffic management

I'm literally computer illiterate... Can someone enlighten me what SUP, FTP etc and what the differences are? Or can someone show me the links to the means of them. The only thing I know is p2p which is like my downloads stuff from torrents right? Shockedops: Thanks.

SUP = Sustainable Usage Policy. How much data PlusNet say you can transfer in a month without stuffing their network and/or sums. See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml
FTP = File Transfer Protocol. Oldfashioned way of shifting data between two boxes on the internet.
P2P = Peer to Peer. More recent way of downloading files (shares the task between multiple machines on the network). Torrents are one type of P2P.