cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic management on bittorrent

N/A

Seems reading these forums I am not the only one being affected by traffic managment by plusnet. I have been unable to get anymore than 3-4kb/s out a torrent between 8am and midnight. I am in a new billing period so should have my 'free' p2p/ftp/bt limit during peak times.

I did a very interesting experiment though, knowing plusnet are quick to say it could be the BT network with contention at my exchange.

My parents also use plusnet so I started the torrent on my PC using my signon and it wouldn't go above 4kb/s. Logged my account off and logged my parents account in on my router on my line,straight away the torrent went to 25kb/s then progressed to 50kb/s quickly. Logged myself back in and it went straight back down to 3-4kb/s and wouldn't go any higher until after midnight where it would jump upto 100kb/s. The torrent has many peers/seeds as its for fedora and the torrent was direct from the redhats homepage. To add insult my friends blueyonder connection within 15mins was downloading it at 480kb/s at 19:00 !! He got the download completed that night took me almost 3 days !!

To me this proves my account is being traffic managed in some way and its got nothing to do with contention or how busy plusnets network is at the time, I wonder if maybe the higher usage accounts are being treated differently from the low usage accounts even when they are suppose to have free limts.

I raised ticket explaing this plusnet advised my account is not being managed at present and guess what ! I have been asked to do a BT speed test in case it contention on the BT network. Will of course carry this out but I suspect it will just max out my line.
5 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Could I ask whether or not you've received an email saying that traffic management on your account has been lifted and that you've been reset to clean?

If you've not yet received this, then you've not been placed on a clean profile yet, and it can take up to twenty four hours after being successfully billed for your profile to be reset.
Discostoo
Grafter

ditto, here. Using BitComet, for...er...Linux ISO's(is that the line)?with poor speeds on well seeded torrents. Http d/l were half normal speed for 5 days after billing date reset. and finally when i was sent an email telling me to schedule my downloads...(i.e. my sleeping patterns to suit Plusnet) My torrent speeds wont go above 5-8kbps. even though i have a mate back in aberystwyth d/l the same file on Plusnet at 60kbps +... somethings not quite right somewhere.

I wont d/l as much as i did last month plusnet i'm sorry, i really am. I was just playing catch up after mving house and not having broadband for a while... Can i have my clean allowance back now plz?
N/A

I did not get the email to advise traffic managment had been removed from my account, I assumed that was the problem as I had been put on Level 2 the previous billing period (not happy about that would have been nice to have been advised what the limits actually were before they restricted my account but thats another story) I did state this in my ticket (twice) asking if it had been removed as the billing period changed over on the 29/1.

I can work my downloads into the limits thats not the problem but if these speeds are not sorted I will need to go else where, maybe thats what plusnet want !

(TBH it was the linux 2.5gig dvd iso I was downloading)
JonathanW
Grafter

The act of resetting accounts to clean is something that we're working on, as its currently a manual process that we're in the process of automating. As such, it can take a little while for the reset to go through, and the script that is being used does need to ensure that you have been successfully billed before it can act on your account.
N/A

The thing is though Jon, alot of us are getting the same slow speeds (5-25KB/s) on BT / P2P, without having been put onto any traffic management levels in the first place!