cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Shaping - how it will affect ?

N/A

Me, Im the online gamer in the household, I play Planetside and WoW so any improvement to the service to help me at peak hours is appreciated.

The missus on the other hand is a forum hogging, photogragh uploading type person, I take it for her things will be slower ?

We are on 2mb Premier, are we likely to notice any change ?

Looking through the complaints ppl have had it looks like theyve had a good service but maybe have been a little OTT with the bandwidth. I mean some of the Gig usage quoted looked like ppl had multiple torrents going 24/7.
You guys need to be with the likes of Easynet, who with there own network (Ipsaris's fibre network) and now LLU at exchanges will be less will be less bothered by that type of behaviour.
13 REPLIES
NigelWood
Grafter

Re: Traffic Shaping - how it will affect ?

Me, Im the online gamer in the household, I play Planetside and WoW so any improvement to the service to help me at peak hours is appreciated.

The missus on the other hand is a forum hogging, photogragh uploading type person, I take it for her things will be slower ?

Neither of your activities should be adversely effected. The equiptment we're using for traffic shaping could potentially provide for better gaming by giving priority to your UDP gaming traffic. It's possible we'll launch a gamer specific product in the future.
N/A

Do you work for Plusnet?

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Full quote of post directly preceding this one removed as it's unnecessary]
N/A

Traffic Shaping

I have just read your updated t&c's and am absolutely disgusted. I understand what you are trying to achieve but you are generalising your customers into average surfers and game players. I signed up to your 2mb service because I use both P2P software (which includes VOIP - which you say you are improving - how the hell does that work?) and stream TV quite often. When you have the likes of the BBC trialling TV streaming via a P2P network it seems you are taking a step backwards with your service. The future of the internet includes TV streaming and heavy usage which it seems you cannot provide. Although I have only been a customer of Plus Net for about 4 months, maybe it is time to look elswhere for a good ISP who is looking towards the future rather than the past / present.
NigelWood
Grafter

Do you work for Plusnet?

Yes, I'm a developer here. Since the comms guys are very busy at the moment I'm trying to help out a bit, Informally. Only the comms and marketing guys can make official postings so I don't have the logo and can only answer easy, general posts. I'd also have to their seek approval before posting to anything on contentious subjects.
N/A

Neither of your activities should be adversely effected. The equiptment we're using for traffic shaping could potentially provide for better gaming by giving priority to your UDP gaming traffic. It's possible we'll launch a gamer specific product in the future.

Thanks for that. I will say obviously that since Plusnet have had implemented traffic shaping we will see what effect it has.
My neighbour is on 2mb with Pipex , and the next one down on 2mb AOL and so we will be comparing my connection and download speeds to theirs.
If this traffic shaping does not do anything but improve the service for the general internet user like myself then Im sure Plusnet will be getting more of the type of negative press they are getting now and customers leaving in droves.
Im not all that impressed with what Ive read of the expulsion of 2 customers on ADSLguide.
N/A

I signed up to the 2 meg basic package which boasted "unlimited downloads" etc etc. Everything was fine for a couple of weeksand download speeds from my newsgroup server were what they should have been. After a while though it got restricted. I was new to all the internet world so at the time I thought there was a problem with my new PC/phoneline/modem etc etc. After messing around with BT and various conversations with Plusnet I was eventually told my speed had been restricted on downloads and I would have to move up to the premier account to have it running as it should. Needless to say I feel I was missold this package. Unfortunately I am stuck with it for 12 months unless I pay back my set-up and modem fee which was free at the time. As it stands now my download speed is fine but I am concerned how these changes are going to affect me again.:x
N/A

Re: Restrivtions

At the bottom of the email they sent, it states you can refuse the terms if you reply before 15th Sept using the contact section on the website. I have sent them a note to say I am extremely unhappy and refuse the terms. I've had no reply yet and have no idea if it will do me any good! I will note their response here.

Think I might pay the £57 and get out. Getting a bit disheartened at the moment. All these 'Great Offer' sign ups only for the company to change what you are getting a few months after you sign up. Is there any legal backing for the customer? The same has just happened with my gas and electric - cheap prices only to go up 2 days after they take over my supply!

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Full quote of post directly preceding this one removed as it's unnecessary]
N/A

you could try the trading standards or citizens advice if you are unhappy with the new terms and conditions and have recently signed up. it seems only fair you can get out with no charges if you bought a product that has been missold and/or conditions have changed
NigelWood
Grafter

Re: Traffic Shaping

I signed up to your 2mb service because I use both P2P software (which includes VOIP - which you say you are improving - how the hell does that work?) and stream TV quite often. When you have the likes of the BBC trialling TV streaming via a P2P network it seems you are taking a step backwards with your service. The future of the internet includes TV streaming and heavy usage which it seems you cannot provide.

VOIP will be improved because the priority system means time sensitive, low bandwidth applications like VOIP are given priory over file sharing applications which could otherwise cause jitter.

Lee, you say that you use both P2P and regularly stream TV. Perhaps you'll like to post this months usage stats for the benefit of the other forum users. You can find them here: http://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage but you will need to log into the portal first.

Our current high usage guideline for the 21.99 account is 100Gbytes/per month. I can't reveal personal details such as usage in a public forum but please compare your usage against our high usage guideline and I think your'll find it's more than sufficent.

The BBC trial

I invite forum members to correct me if I'm wrong about technology or maths. The BBC use kontiki to distribute MPEG-4 video. Mpeg-4 video's higher quality IAMA profile 1 is 1.5Mbps. That means a 21.99 premier customer downloading 4 hours of mpeg-4 TV every day would use approximately 82GB of traffic per month. Well within our guideline.

((MegaBits_per_second * (4_hours_per_day) ) / bits_per_byte) / megabytes_per_gigabyte
((1.5 * (4*60*60*31) ) /Cool/ 1024
=81.73828

I will be using the BBC trial on my broadband staff account, using PlusTalk, Internet radio and getting daily updates for my two Gentoo Linux machines, I doubt I'll hit 100GB per month.

I have suggested that we host some machines to on our local network so that BBC TV data can come to you straight from our core network rather than having to come via another ADSL user's PC and running up their bandwidth usage. Legal file sharing and an active life online I'm all for.

References
http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pdf/MPEG4_v3.pdf Mpeg-4
http://www.kontiki.com/technology/index.html
N/A

i think 100GB is about right and if you need anymore you should be paying more than 21.99 for a bb connection. Personally I have speed issues. 1.5Mbps (for streaming) is only achievable on a good day & for me traffic shaping means lower speeds on p2p and I dont think it should be based on how you use your connection but how much. then you have a clear picture on what your ISP is giving you. Saying we may throttle p2p at peak times but it wont hardly affect your speeds - well my speeds sucked to begin with so.....
N/A

Re: Traffic

Big thanks to Nwood for the reply. Good to see some stats. Maybe they should have been included in the email you sent regarding the change of terms. I would also love to see my usage but your link takes me to a 'Page Not Found'.

Even so, my biggest gripe is the change of something you have bought. It really annoys me. I can't imagine walking into a high street electrical store and buying a Plasma TV then 3 months later they come around and replace it with a 14" portable!

Please provide us with the product we signed up for. We the customer must have some legal backing. I am still refusing the terms. I urge other users to do the same and make a stand. Please email me any private comments and I will get together as much info as I can and present it to Plus Net and seek legal advice.
NigelWood
Grafter

Re: Traffic

. I would also love to see my usage but your link takes me to a 'Page Not Found'.

Sorry about that, the forum sofware included the full stop ('.') after the URL in the clickable link. I've now editted the post to corrected it. Please take the time to review your usage against our guideline.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

The link should be http://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage. nwood had a fullstop at the end which was stopping it from working.

Phil