cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Shaping - can you guarantee me.

N/A

Ive spent 3 years on ISDN until July when I went 2mb Broadband with Plusnet after the exchange was enabled.

Ive noticed over the last week that my online gaming experience is suffering, without going into great detail its like im back on something slightly better than 128k and the same guys Ive played with for 2 years are telling me Im slightly warping now.

Can you absolutely guarantee me right now, in writing that online gaming for Plusnet customers is not being affected by your traffic shaping activities.

A friend of mine (network guru) is coming over with some serious work kit to take a look at my connection and PC later, so if it turns out to be BT/PC I'll let you know.
6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

The traffic shaping is in place to help gaming and such activities. Have you tried any speed tests on either here, or the adslguide website? Also you can try the BT Speed test. This doesn't go anywhere near the PlusNet network so would show any problems on your line, equipment or exchange. Try checking the exchange status with the exchange checker on the http://usertools.plus.net site. A traceroute (from a command prompt type tracert gamesserver.com, with the address of your server) would show if there is a problem between you and the server.

Phil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I would be 99.9% certain that a problem with online gaming is not caused by the traffic shaping.

Without knowing the exact details of the problem I couldn't say 100% sure that the network management isn't having an effect (for example if the problem is the game downloading patches over a P2P network that could see a slowdown or if it used port 135 for example for some reason).

If you want to go in to the details of what the problem is then we might be able to suggest something that it could be.
N/A

Dave,

when i had my problem with the incorrect profile my game pings were over 300 since the right profile has been applied they are less than 30

So it could be the profile causing the problem
N/A

Its basically happening at what I would class as peak hours, so if its not the ISP then its a quick walk round to the exchange in the next street to have a chat with the guys there.

Check of the PC and wireless network shows it to be fine and the problem seems to exist only at peak times.

Were going to check the route and bandwidth over the period of a day.

EDIT: just like to add there 2 other threads going from other gamers, so it seems Im not the only one with probs.

Ill be honest, like alot of ppl here I trust Plusnet atm about as far as I could throw them, which isnt far. Luckily for me I paid the £14,99 up front so I can go no problems any time I want which at this rate will be in the next week.
N/A

one of your cs employees stated in my ticket that they can not garentee nothing to do with the traffic shapping and that it would pretty much change to compensate new customers and growing use ofyour network (not in so many words but how it came accross)

i hav asked for a list and a garentee that it wil not overall effect my service once the new tc come into play but they will not garentee it which in my opinion is just utter c...

i want garentee shaping wont be no more than 10% or 15% and a list of apps it effects and ones that it wont and believe this should feature in the t@c...i do not believe this is unreasonable nor me being a pain in the a..e.

I just want to know i will retain some of the things that i signed up for in the first place.

my gming has been pretty pants as well as with alot of others who have had probs think there was a thread earlier with 4 ppl complaining of the ame thing. so you are not alone and most of them were above there usual pings by 100 or so ..... which is putting me off more than ever but i aint paying the stupid migration fee to suit them i just moan instead.
N/A

one of your cs employees stated in my ticket that they can not garentee nothing to do with the traffic shapping and that it would pretty much change to compensate new customers and growing use ofyour network (not in so many words but how it came accross)

Thats how I see it aswell, the shapings going to increase until the pipes cant hold any more connections..........then look out Premier, idle disconnections are looming.

Once the pipes are full of http/email/voip then another pipe will have to be bought.

You can all fight for a wee bit of my 20/30gb a month...im off Smiley