cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Meter

N/A

Traffic Meter

At present the meter only shows the Total amount - this includes, I believe, both peak time and off peak usage. It would be usefull if the meter only showed peak time usage or have two meters one to show off peak usage and the other peak time usage.
At the momnet I do not know where I am as off peak usage is not counted towards the max I can reasonably use be it 50gb, 100gb or 150gb
4 REPLIES
N/A

Traffic Meter

The problem is, peak and off-peak times change.

One of the reasons PlusNet do not state any times when people ask when off-peak is, because as soon as they do this, it becomes the new peak (everybody would flood to it).

As internet usage changes, the time of year, the weather, are all a factior in when people use there connections, what they use it for and how much demand this places on the network. The times when peaks happen will never remain the same.
avalon
Grafter

Traffic Meter

Fair enough, but that wouldn't stop them retrospectivley showing how much you had used on/off peak now would it? This would at least be fair.

I mean if they record how much you are using on & off peak (as they must, otherwise they wouldn't be able to seperate out the worst offenders who were D/Ling at peak times) then why can't they show us the figures as well? Perhaps with the graphs turning red where usage becomes excessive?

It would allow people to better organise and self police their usage rather than PN reps to having to do all the work. It would also give PN a good tool when the do need to take action against anyone. "Well you could see from your VMBU graphs two weeks ago that your usage was becoming quite high at peak times, and could see last week your usage at peak times was already way into the red for this month, so really It's your own fault for not checking your usage and changing your habits if you've been throttled now."

Second point is that if asked when on/off peak is the stock answer by PN reps is for you to look at the utilisation graph. This was fine before when it showed the total usage but now it doesn't it only shows three residential products. No graphs for business or dial up products and no overall graph are visible so how are we now expected to accurately judge if there is spare overall capacity or not?

Perhaps it would be possible to put up a graph of spare capacity updated every half hour just to give us some kind of a clue?

Or is the off peak time specific to which residential package you are on rather than for the network as a whole?... Nope? Well I didn't think so.
N/A

Traffic Meter

The current meter is "retrospective" so splitting it should not be too difficult - or would it all I'm asking for is more information to better judge my usage. At the moment I cnnot tell if the majority of my activity has been during the paek times or off peak times - even if they do alter.
avalon
Grafter

Traffic Meter

The current meter is "retrospective"

Exactly.

I can't see a reason why it technically can't be done. Though I do remember it taking quite some time (months IIRC) to develop the "new" VMBU which was supposedly to be in place for the FUP in April but was never finished. But they seem to have some some shiny new graph making toys to play with now so who knows. Smiley