Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management Update - 1st December

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi guys,

This is an update to Monday's forum posts and the Service Status and Planned maintenance announcements that are going out this evening.

We are continuing to hold daily workshops across the business regarding customer experience and the performance of our broadband platform. Throughout the last week we have been paying close attention to the performance of our network and been comparing this closely to feedback provided by our customers.

We have already mentioned that changes in the way the Internet is being used has meant an increase in average customers' usage in the last three months (Premier customers in particular). Upgrades to higher speed products and the seasonal change as we move into the winter months has also driven this increase in usage. It's important to recognise that despite these factors (all of which have driven an increase in demand), the industry has seen no reduction in wholesale bandwidth costs. BT Wholesale has announced proposed pricing for 2007 and we are reviewing our commercial model in light of this.

Our priority is as always, ensuring that all our customers are provided with a consistently high quality broadband experience built around the design of the product they are subscribed to. An experience unrivalled when comparing performance against value. I mentioned in the last post how we thought we were close to achieving this back in August.

When we upgraded to Ellacoya 6.4 one of the benefits this brought to us was the ability to identify a much wider range of traffic which we had previously been unable to capture. The most significant difference being the identification of encrypted peer to peer traffic and the like.

As usage changed, seasonal trends crept upon us and we neglected to keep on top of housekeeping. The balancing that we found was working for us in August did not work in October and November.

The impact of this was dropping traffic in the gold queue and an unacceptably high level of drops in the silver queue. This manifested itself in slow download speeds particularly on FTP and peer-to-peer, even for light users.

We have now put back in place a thorough programme of administration to ensure that automated rules and manual reporting are kept regularly updated so that the effectiveness of the platform and therefore the quality of customer experience is not compromised again.

Over the course of the weekend we will be preparing to make a number of configuration changes to our traffic management platform in order to dynamically redistribute bandwidth across our customer base. This will take into account the time of day, product and usage requirements of each individual customer and is designed to help redress the inbalances seen across the network following the upgrade of our Ellacoya management platform to version 6.4.

Our measurement of success is to achieve zero packet drops in both the titanium and gold queues along with an good level of service for applications in the silver queue. If we meet this criteria then the vast majority of customers should see an increase in performance. What we do not want to see is a situation akin to last Monday where the customer experience was far below what we are aiming for.

Following on from the last post, we would like to confirm that the VoIP & gaming rate limits we have in place are intended only as a temporary measure and plan to have these removed by Christmas. Moving forwards we are looking to review both the automatic and administrative rules of the platform at least monthly to ensure that the platform remains consistently fluid and that bandwidth is always fairly distributed amongst our customers. We will always need to update and evolve our traffic management system in order to be able to guarantee the quality of real time applications and will keep customers updated as we do this.

We will of course continue to work towards a satisfactory resolution and would like to thank customers for their continued patience.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

128 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Please get to the point, what are you actually saying?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrToast
Grafter

I can't find the info about what traffic is in each queue. (I tried the search on teh protal)

Could someone post the link please?

EDIT: (Used Google rather that the protal search)

Found it here.

Its a bit confusing though as it shows the same table for all products. I also suspect its out of date.

Can this page be re-written with a simple matrix?
crimsone
Grafter

As usage changed, seasonal trends crept upon us and we neglected to keep on top of housekeeping. The balancing that we found was working for us in August did not work in October and November.

The impact of this was dropping traffic in the gold queue and an unacceptably high level of drops in the silver queue. This manifested itself in slow download speeds particularly on FTP and peer-to-peer, even for light users.

From what I can see, it's a case of "sorry for the inconvenience, but we haven't been keeping our house in order for the past two months, and this is the reason that so many of you haven't recieved the service you've been paying for (with particular reference to Monday). We plan to put it right soon though, and we promise never to do it again."
long-gone
Grafter

Bob,

PlusNet doesn't pay you enough - you could polish a t*rd to a fine gloss.

But don't worry, the real problem (user / capacity ratio) will eventually be resolved - one way or the other !
N/A

Please explain why my torrents are limited to 30kbps...

P2P is in the bronze queue for Plus customers
It's in the silver queue for Premier customers until you have exceeded your usage allowance and then its in the bronze queue.

I'm a premier customer, torrents do not appear to be in the silver queue.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

err,

Bob,

will our speeds improve !!!!

Yes or No

thats all we want to know ..
Neil_A
Grafter

Its a bit confusing though as it shows the same table for all products.

You can use the drop-down menu to select different products and this will show you different information
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
N/A

It would appear that my torrents are being throttled to 256kb or 30kbps actual download speed even though I am only 3Gb into my peak time usage, could you take a look at this for me please neil.

Or bob. Anyone. Please.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

Over the course of the weekend we will be preparing to make a number of configuration changes to our traffic management platform in order to dynamically redistribute bandwidth across our customer base.

preparing is a non-definitive statement ..

can I assume this preperation will take no longer than this coming weekend as you stated. Followed by immediate action to improve the network configuration.

Or is it delay tactics of the kind we have seen many times before.

:?
Laser
Grafter

This will take into account the time of day, product and usage requirements of each individual customer

Is that the historical usage, or a dynamic re-assessment of what a customer is doing at any given time?

i.e. Does that imply previous weeks/months of usage will be used to determine if you are a "light" or "heavy" user and apply a profile to suit, or is it going to be "you haven't downloaded more than 10MB in the last ten minutes" type thing? (Or something else?)
N/A

It would appear that my torrents are being throttled to 256kb or 30kbps actual download speed even though I am only 3Gb into my peak time usage, could you take a look at this for me please neil.

Or bob. Anyone. Please.

It must be all the playing about with the traffic management, because you're not the only one. I found myself being throttled down to 30kB/s for the last few days until my bandwidth usage was reset this morning.

I know I didn't overrun my peak time usage because I'm on PAYG.

I'm awaiting with baited breath an actual response to my ticket rather than the default one the CSC agents generate when they see the word "speed". :roll:
N/A

Oh dear. I've got another 19 days until my bandwith is reset again. I've only used 3gb during peak time so far this month. It was only the other day that they where being limited to 180kbps, now 30kbps.
N/A

Following on from the last post, we would like to confirm that the VoIP & gaming rate limits we have in place are intended only as a temporary measure and plan to have these removed by Christmas.

That soon? Thanks. Evil
N/A

It would appear that my torrents are being throttled to 256kb or 30kbps actual download speed even though I am only 3Gb into my peak time usage

Strange that, mine are limited to exactly 30k too...and have been for weeks peak time.

Is there something Plusnet are not telling us?