cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management.....Backwards?

N/A

Mmmkay.

I've been downloading things over the past few weeks and on any bittorrent download, it's generally gotten to about 50kB/s and gotten no higher. Any additions items added seems to balance out the load so that the download doesnt go much higher.

I *JUST* received a level 2 e-mail. This according to the webpage means i can now download at a maximum of "Up to 256Kbps". However my download has just taken a vastly improved jump upwards and i'm now downloading at over 140kB/s.

Rather than taking 2 or 3 days, it's now telling me that my download should be finished in about 48 minutes or so.

Can anyone tell me..

A) Why my speed is increasing the more i download.
B) How i can download at this speed on level-2 management.

(Or... should i keep my mouth shut so that no-one starts flicking switches and i get 4kB/s again?) Cheesy

-edit... now at over 170kB/s.......-
10 REPLIES
N/A

Say nothing. No-one will ever read this. :lol:
N/A

Mark a little too late.

People are already reading it Wink . But I have to admit myself that this is a wonderful incentive by Plusnet. In conjunction with the "The more you download the more your account is managed" slogan so that really you dont have to do anything as its all done for you and this wonderful new setup that they seem to be running, we should be seeing a nice brand new swarm of happy customers on these boards again.

Its almost as though Plusnet are trying to get people to download more and more :?: :lol:

But err seriously, what package is this on?

Regards,
N/A

Its the bog standard 2Mb premier account.

I'm on level 3 now... but im still going at least 70 down and 20 up.

....No arguments from me Wink
passer
Grafter

I'm so envious, not to say honoured, to be witness to someone who is restoring the smart-dumb balance! Cheesy
Just one word of warning, though. Something similar happened to my speeds for a week or so at the end of last month, and then, they mended it........... Sad

Now I'm back on my usual service, and bitchin' about wildly fluctuating speeds in the evenings, and throttled P2P all the time. And no letters about management, as I've never approached any caps. Milk it while you can, and I hope they don't beat you up about limits after they've "fixed" it.
N/A

Ah it doesn't really bother me if they do slow it down really.

What im downloading i have no real interest in getting any quicker than i would get at off-peak or at level 20 management

Plus with about 6 days to go, im still at least 10Gb's away from the 30Gb peak time and im only just halfway towards the 100Gb off-peak limit, so unless someone outside starts breaking into my wireless network i cant see a problem.

Long as i can still spend my drunken friday nights moaning about cheats on halo and people who seem to have uber aiming on battlefield2... im ok Tongue
passer
Grafter

Cool Cool
That makes it even better - a balanced approach!
crimsone
Grafter

I've been wondering why I've been having trouble with bittorrent since my last billing date.

This month I have an abnormally high amount of downloading to do (normally 20GB would be enough for me). I await my email about the change of management level with baited breath, (well, I opted out of emails so I doubt I'd get it, as much as I want to recieve service updates, but I dare say the contact us system will have a ticket for it.)
N/A

Hate to bring up an old topic (well it is mine) Tongue

But... this can't be right still ...can it?

I'm told that my usage has "exceeded the fourth level". I therefore have "Level 4 management has been applied to your service". According to the web site this should leave me with "Up to 64Kbps". Thats roughly a teeeeeny bit more than i could expect on a dial up connection. Fair enough, i have downloaded a lot, my fault, no complaints. Smiley Only two days until it re-sets anyway.

But how can the following still happen:-

10 mins later...

10 mins more........

Has someone somewhere added a zero to it to make 640Kbps ? :roll:
LiamM
Grafter

Plusnet have stated that they will never offer a connection as slow at 64kbps as they realise this is totally unworkable.
N/A

May I ask where that information is martinfamily?

traffic_management.shtml is still full of the same old lies and customer support have been giving me the smokescreen treatment for the past month.

Also calling it a '64kbit connection' is something of a lie anyway. The level 4 of traffic management for a 2Mbit line is actually an 8kbit Upload 64Kbit download cap for p2p, usenet and ftp and you dont find *that* information in the plusnet songbook.