Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management Automation Delayed Again

10crawford
Grafter

stewnorriss said:

We will be posting an update on this situation shortly but we hope to have the first stages in place by the end of March and then roll it out from that point until we have a fully automated system.

This was posted in another thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39354 but I thought it deserved its own topic.

So it was by February (most people read as 1 February) to by the end of February to during March to by March 31 and now by who knows when.

Edited to correct link! No Text changed!
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

the date has always been sometime during march since the topic about how PN plan and buy capacity so I think its fair for Stew to say by the end of march it will be done

we'll take steps in March to simplify things considerably so that it is simple and clear for existing and new customers to see the value that PlusNet delivers.

There will be more details in the next couple of days regarding reducing peak times and simplifying the management system as well as automating it and providing new VMBU and network statistics.

I am willing to believe that the automation will be in place by the end of March and I and a lot people will be very very p'eed off if its not!
N/A

I am willing to believe that the automation will be in place by the end of March and I and a lot people will be very very p'eed off if its not!

Better not read the ADSLGuide posts from PlusNet staff mentioning April then Wink
With a project like this, delays are to be expected. Unfortunately the customer is often being unduly and negatively effected by the delays.
LiamM
Grafter

All of the background processes to automation have a target completion date of March 31st, with further changes being rolled out to complete the automation during the first few weeks of April.
Community Veteran

Better not read the ADSLGuide posts from PlusNet staff mentioning April then Wink
With a project like this, delays are to be expected. Unfortunately the customer is often being unduly and negatively effected by the delays.

I do read AG occasionally however I find the forums hideous and awful to read, I know delays are to be expected and that its mainly the backoffice system that is being upgraded in March with the front user system tools being implemented mainly during April. I am just putting my faith in PN that they will deliver this automated system on time
passer
Grafter

Andy - I see you've passed the 500 post mark - nice to see lots of positive stuff from you in the last week or so! Wink
Liam -
with further changes being rolled out to complete the automation during the first few weeks of April

So how many weeks does April have in Exeter, then?

Without rancour, I see this stretching out into the future in the same way that every other date we've been offered in the last several months for various changes has stretched out. I return to my (and other users') previous request that PlusNet learn to manage expectations better, and stop making promises, even by implication, that they cannot deliver. If they tell us it'll be ready in June, and then implement it it in April, we'll all be happy, and no doubt fulsome in our praise!
LiamM
Grafter

Why do you think Plusnet never give concise dates?

Things like this require bags of development time and delays are inevitable. Plusnet can only use an educated guess at when things will be ready. Would you rather they rolled it out unfinished?

Plusnet wan't this automation as much as we do and I know for a fact that half of the devlopment team at Plusnet are working on this project alone.

The industry is fast moving, something could happen in the future that requires the date to be put back again, but as it gets closer to completion the date gets more accurate.
10crawford
Grafter

Why do you think Plusnet never give concise dates?

Thats the problem they do!

They firstly said by February - that is precise - it hasn't been met.

Would you rather they rolled it out unfinished?

They have rolled out TM unfinished!
LiamM
Grafter

Whats TM sorry?

I don't remember Plusnet ever saying automation was going to be completed by February?

First I heard it was March, and now March/April.
LiamM
Grafter

Ah sorry, TM. No they havent really rolled it out unfinished, but they have decided more work is necessary to improve things for us.

Traffic Management had to be rolled out when it was otherwise the network and customers would have suffered majorly with contention issues affecting all types of usage, for everyone.

The heavy downloaders would have been able to fill the entire network - so something needed to be done.

So they rolled it out. This improved things from the network point of view, but not entirely from the customer PoV.

Automation solves this.
10crawford
Grafter

Quote from Service Annoucements in December

We plan to be updating the VMBU tool in January to reflect the changes introduced during December. Ideally we would liked to have updated VMBU before making these changes, but it is important to put improvements in place for the majority of customers quickly.
Community Veteran

Isn't the VMBU updated to reflect that though?
Community Veteran

Andy - I see you've passed the 500 post mark - nice to see lots of positive stuff from you in the last week or so! Wink

Not sure if that was a dig! I am just prepared to give PN a chance to roll out the new system, I will be very unhappy with them if it doesnt happen by the end of april at the very latest!

I think my 500th post was Here
passer
Grafter

no dig intended Smiley
Community Veteran

he he, well I did plan to celebrate my 500th post but got a bit carried away! Onwards to the 1000th post! aim for end of March! Cheesy