cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Limited

N/A

Traffic Limited

OK its a fair cop, I've DL'd too much this month and am in the naughty corner until early Feb Cry.

So I figure now would be a good time to switch from from the 2meg 20:1 (£31.99) Premier variant to a 4meg or 8meg 50:1 package that has higher usage caps.

A couple of questions..

+ There appears to be £29.99 regrade fee, I object to paying this. There was no mention of this "future" fee in the "20:1 regrade" email back in August. I could switch to an alternate ISP with less rigourous usage caps for free. Is this £29.99 really necessary?

+ If I do upgrade, do I get out of the naughty corner immediately?

I've been very happy with Plusnet up until this week and have recommended it to friends. Lets not spoil it. Wink

Andrew
7 REPLIES
N/A

Traffic Limited

Andrew,

I take it your on the Business package? There are no usage caps on those products. But Plusnet are monitoring them to see if any users are abusing them to bypass the caps and SUP.
There should be an option to change packages for free if you are in this situation, although I will not guarantee it.

If you do need to pay then by Debit/Credit card or cheque I believe is also a valid option?

Im not sure of getting out of the naughty corner instantly as it is not yet a automated service and as such manual work is involved. The other thing is you will more than likely only be released once you are on the new package.

Regards,
N/A

Traffic Limited

Hi Tom,

I am currently on the "old" 2meg Premier package which had a 20:1 ratio but costs me an extra tenner a month. Hopefully I won't notice the difference with 50:1. Hey, got be better than the Level 3 traffic management...

I figure I'll give Plusnet a ring tomorrow and see if we can do a deal.

Andrew
N/A

Traffic Limited

Andrew,

I take it your on the Business package? There are no usage caps on those products. But Plusnet are monitoring them to see if any users are abusing them to bypass the caps and SUP.
Regards,

OMG, glad im not on a business package, i guess there is nowhere ELLACRAPUS wont go.
Im wondering if they might start looking at how many times people visit the discussion boards in a day and if you visit more than 3 times for instance, they send you a warning email telling you about how slow the boards are due to re-visits and that it must be stopped.

Do plusnet have a group of people who's job it is to brainstorm each day and come up with inventive ways to squeeze the service to the bare minimum??

Where i work.....the managers are doing the same thing with regards to offering a squeezed minimum service but at least they admit it's for the bonuses they recieve at the end of the year.
N/A

Re: Traffic Limited

OK its a fair cop, I've DL'd too much this month and am in the naughty corner until early Feb Cry.

So I figure now would be a good time to switch from from the 2meg 20:1 (£31.99) Premier variant to a 4meg or 8meg 50:1 package that has higher usage caps.

A couple of questions..

+ There appears to be £29.99 regrade fee, I object to paying this. There was no mention of this "future" fee in the "20:1 regrade" email back in August. I could switch to an alternate ISP with less rigourous usage caps for free. Is this £29.99 really necessary?

+ If I do upgrade, do I get out of the naughty corner immediately?

I've been very happy with Plusnet up until this week and have recommended it to friends. Lets not spoil it. Wink

Andrew
i woulded recommended it to any of my friends as most of my friend have left them
sanderton
Grafter

I'm sure then the 20:1/50:1 stuff came round it was mentioned that if you changed your mind later there would be a regrade fee.
ceridwen
Grafter

Traffic Limited

Here's the e-mail sent by PN at the time:

Changes to your broadband account
---------------------------------

You may remember that we contacted you in February regarding your PlusNet 2Mb broadband account.

Your broadband service is currently based on a BT contention ratio of 20:1. This is because a 50:1 version of the 2Mb product did not exist when you signed up.

We have always stated that customers provisioned on 20:1 2Mb broadband would eventually be moved to a regular 50:1 product.

You now have the option to remain on a 20:1 contention.

What are the benefits of staying on 20:1?
-----------------------------------------

- Enhanced performance - very little speed loss at peak times
- Increased upload speeds of up to 800k with the arrival of 4Mb & 8Mb broadband

What do I need to do?
---------------------

If you would like to continue enjoying the benefits of 20:1 you must tell us within 14 days by raising a ticket in the Contact Us wizard:

- Go to http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets
- Click 'New Query'
- Click 'Account Changes - Upgrade, Downgrade, Cancellations & Moving House'
- Click '20:1 to 50:1 migrations'
- Raise a ticket. DO NOT raise a ticket if you are happy to be moved to a 50:1 contention

Remaining on 20:1 will cost £10 (inc. VAT) extra on your monthly broadband subscription.

If you are happy to be moved to a standard contention of 50:1, simply do nothing and we will automatically begin moving you in 14 days.

Please note, if you don't instruct us to keep you on a 20:1 contention, you will be automatically moved to 50:1.

What will happen to my service if I don't stay on 20:1?
-------------------------------------------------------

There will be little difference to your current broadband service most of the time. You will continue to enjoy the same speed and features at the same great price. Only the BT contention at your local telephone exchange will change, which may mean a reduction in speed at peak times.

What is contention?
-------------------

If you want to know more about contention, take a look at our beginner's guide - http://www.plus.net/support/features/contention_guide.shtml

Kind regards,

Customer Support

Nothing in there about any regrade fee should you later change your mind! A later regrade fee might have been mentioned on the forums, but not everyone reads the forums, and the forums shouldn't count as "informing customers".

Matthew
JonathanW
Grafter

Part of this fee is the £14.99 that BT charge us to carry out work on your line, and is required to switch you over from a 20:1 line to a 50:1 line and isn't something that can be avoided. The rest of the fee is the standard downgrade fee, as the account that you'd be moving to costs less than your current account.

If you were to upgrade, then your profile will be reset within twenty four hours of the account change completing.