cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace routes

N/A

Trace routes

Hi,

You're all probably sick of me already but to clear up my "2mb connection woe" heading I need to do a trace route. I seen the site detailing it for a website, but how do you do a trace route for torrents? I use Bittornado mainly for my torrents. Thanks in advance, and sorry for pestering you all!!!

Damien
9 REPLIES
markgillespie
Grafter

Trace routes

but how do you do a trace route for torrents?

You dont....
N/A

Trace routes

You can if you really wanted to, but you would spend hours doing it and for no gain that I can see.

Why would you want to?
N/A

Trace routes

Hi,

@cos the major problems I'm haveing with my new 2mb connection. (I'm the one hogging the board at the minute with the "2mb connection woe" header. Basically, since upgrading to 2mb my torrent speeds have if anything decreased, never get higher than 110, very rarely get anywhere near that.

Thanks for the reply,

Damien
Firejack
Grafter

Trace routes

What torrent you trying to download? Perhaps it only has a limited number of seeds and leechers. I downloaded the trial for Neocron 2 the other night and it was fine.

EDIT: Just reading your other posts. By limiting your upload speed, Bittorrent will adjust your max download speed. This is done to stop people leeching in torrents. Bittorrent limits your download speed dependant on your upload speed. You can only download up to 4 times - as I recall - faster then you can upload. So going to a 2Mbit connection won't help as your upload is still the same as 0.5 or 1Mbit. 4 times your upload (0.25) is 1Mbit... and from the numbers you post in your other thread this seems to be the explanation why bittorrent is no faster on 2Mbit then 1Mbit.
To get the best performance in Bittorrent its best to limit your maximum number of simultaneous torrents and the number of connection in each torrent. Otherwise your connection will quickly get bogged down handshaking so many connections.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Trace routes

I don't understand this problem but I noticed a reference to bit torrent connections with XP SP2 in this forum by pumbertot.
http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=63693&hilightuser=45076
Any help?
Firejack
Grafter

Trace routes

That seems like a bit of a random post by pumbertot. Not much information on the exact problems he is having.
With SP2 the Windows Firewall was upgraded and activated by default. My guess is that is the cause of pumbertot's problem.. but thats going off-topic Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Trace routes

The point, which I don't understand, was that SP2 reduced the number of connections from 16 million to just 10.
This was not related to the BSOD problems but was in response to a poster who said that there were no problems with SP2
markgillespie
Grafter

Trace routes

That's per socket, which for virtually all applications is more than enough.
N/A

Trace routes

There is a problem in that SP2 limits the number of maximum concurrent TCIP checks to 10. I did post this somewhere else, although I'm sure I explained it better then.

See the following site for more details and a much better explain, and a patch

EventId 4226

Bit Torrent download speed as previously stated is limited by your upload speed, which in this case is 256, regardless of whether you have 512, 1Mb or 2Mb. I've found setting my down and upload speed to 66% of their max to be the best. (I got the 66% from a website with tips on bit torrent)
I've also limited the maximum number of conections to 200 per torrent.

Aaron