cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally fed up now

Community Veteran

Totally fed up now

Well after a nice break driving round Europe I returned home to find that the fault I appeared to have on my line appeared to resolve itself (again).

My speeds have been great for the last two weeks, downloads at almost full speed, well over 300kb/s in some cases and pushing 400.

Today I awake and decide to play a little xbox before heading to work, and the box didnt connect to live straight away. Strange I thought, perhaps live is down. Force it to connect and everything seems fine - until it tries to post my scores, which takes an age.

So I boot up the pc and take a look at the router - it appears that this morning at 7:15 ish, it had to reauthenticate to Plusnet.

So I gave my speeds a whirl, and guess what - back to pathetic again. Instead of almost 4000kbps, they are down to 400, and most of the time well below - 200kbps.

So what caused the reauthentication, and why are my speeds next to useless again after it, even though the synch is over 4200kbps??

Answers on a postcard.

Edit - just done another test which I like to do and thats download one of the HD showcase files from Microsoft. These downloads when the connection is working as it should, come down at around 300kb/s or higher. After the reconnection this morning, 40kb/s maximum.
5 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Totally fed up now

Hi,

We've seen four drops today, though presumably one of them was rebooting the router intentionally.

Your IP profile is still 3500 and has been since the 25th June according to BT's system, although it may well have changed in the last hour or so.

What does the BT Speedtester give you?
Community Veteran

Totally fed up now

All four drops (maybe five now) were intentional, Ive tried rebooting a few times to see if this makes any difference. Just to see if something within the exchange alters with a reboot.

Ive also tried switching to the RIN to see if it made any difference - none at all, so it does not point toward any config error on PN's part.

Bt speedtest now shows 2100kbps - weird.

Downloads from the windows HD showcase site also confirm that 160/180kbps now.

Not quite the 350+ I was seeing, but liveable. Maybe contention has kicked in this morning for some reason. Ill just keep an eye on it - it seems to be "healing" itself again. :lol: :roll:
Mand
Grafter

Totally fed up now

That does seem very strange, hopefully it will keep going back up for you to the 350 mark.

I'd keep an eye on the IP profile, if it stays the same that does point towards contention, if it starts reducing that indicates a return of the line issues you had before.
Dev
Grafter

Totally fed up now

why is my IP profile at 5500 even though my router has been synching at over 7000 for the past few month?
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Totally fed up now

This should really be at least 6000kbps on the basis of what you've said (see thresholds below)-

from 6240kbps up to 5.5Mbps
from 6816kbps up to 6Mbps
7392kbps up to 6.5Mbps
7968kbps up to 7Mbps

That said, if your sync speed has been dipping overnight (as often happens) you might be prevented from achieving the higher IP Profiles, even if you normally sync at a higher rate.