cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally Confused 3!

N/A

Totally Confused 3!

I posted the following on the 24th April and had a reply from Bob Pullen - read below.

"Hi,

I'm on ADSL Home Surf 512k - Annual Contract at £18.99 per month and perfectly content with Plus net service.

First of all when I joined up I was on a monthly contract why has this changed to annual contract?

Secondly my exchange is to be regraded in April with multiple visits. What does this mean to me? Will my ADSL speed be regraded and will I need to change my contract to benefit from the regrade. Also how will I know the regrade has occured? BTW I'm running a Zoom X4 ADSL modem which gets switched off everynight.

Thirdly, what is the difference between my currant contract and the 512k one being offered for £14.99? If I downgrade to that will I be regraded?

HI there,

You have always been on an annual contract. For all intents and purposes though, this is now treated as a monthly contract because you have been with us longer than a year.

You should receive a free speed regrade to 2MB when the work is done at your exchange, without changing package.

The BB+ account currently at £14.99 will not receive a free speed regrade.

Kind Regards,
http://usertools.plus.net "

As the fair usage policy has been thrown out and the BB+ is for speeds up to 2M @ £14.99 PCM what is the difference between BB+ and Home Surf that I'm currently on?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Totally Confused 3!

Homesurf blocks P2P & binary newsfeed access and you cannot change this. BB+ still allows those types of connections but limits their speed during busy periods and prioritises web and mail access at all times.

I assume you don't have a need for P2P or binary newsfeeds so you may be better off moving to the BB+ product now. As you are downgrading, there may be a £14.99 fee to do so.
N/A

Broadband Costs

Yep

I got rather confused too -
I am paying 24.99 per month for the 512KB broadband plus £1 per month for a domain name.

I went through the portal amd looked at upgrades this is what i did

Chose the £14.99 per month option and 2MB speed, the upgrade to 2MB costs 29.99 one off charge therefore I now save approx £100 per year and have a connection 4x faster however, as I have already been promised a free 2MB upgrade (suposedly by end of April 05 - It hasnt happened yet) I am not sure if I have to pay the 29.99 charge as the account change cannot take place until end of May 05Huh Therefore I expect to have my speed upped to 2MB before thenHuh If the latter is true I am saving a whopping £121 per year

Admittedly I have had my ADSL since Mar 04 and got hit with the initial costs of set up etc. But the 14.99 deal for 2MB seems really good, or have I missed something....

Dont get me wrong I am not criticising PlusNet, just pointing out that there are good deals on the portal if you look for them.
LiamM
Grafter

Totally Confused 3!

Your £29.99 charge is made up of the admin fee for leaving Easystart and the £14.99 regrade fee to upgrade the line to 2Mb.

The OP could do the same if he wanted to regrade his line to 2Mb at the same time, otherwise it would be just £14.99 downgrade fee.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Totally Confused 3!

hedgehogsrest - you can either wait for the free regrades and the roll out of the speed tool to compete and have 2MB for the same you are currently paying, or you could pay the £29.99 and downgrade to PAYG now and get the 2MB now if your line can support it.
familycolvin
Grafter

Totally Confused 3!

hedgehogsrest - you can either wait for the free regrades and the roll out of the speed tool to compete .

What is the speedtool?
What does it do?
Do I need it to actually get the benefit of the promised speed regrade to 2MB when BT actually get around to it? (BRIXTON exchange - was scheduled for April but I have no way of knowing whether it has actually taken place because according to postings elsewhere neither BT or PN are going to tell me Sad )
When will this tool be available?

Mike
N/A

Totally Confused 3!

The Brixton exchange is listed 10 times on the upgrade programme (multiple DSLAM's), so you could be any time between now and July.

The speed tool will allow people to choose which speed they want to be connected to on their product, i.e. people on the up to 2mb product will be able to choose from 512, 1mb or 2mb.
familycolvin
Grafter

Multiple visits

When I looked at the PDF download Brixton was NOT down for multiple visits.
Is there an updated schedule?
if so where?
Mike
N/A

Totally Confused 3!

Nope there is still only the original version;
http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/bt_speed_upgrade_programme.pdf

There are no multiple visits, however there are multiple DSLAM's in the exchange, if you right click and search "Brixton", you'll find that it comes up 10 times.
familycolvin
Grafter

Totally Confused 3!

YUP. You are absolutely right.
I stopped reading having found Brxton on page 8
What a NAFF presentation - why didn't they put it in date order within exchange?
Still I supose that's BT for you.