cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrents problem

N/A

Torrents problem

I'm having trouble with torrents. I tried a 35 Seed/34 Leech torrent thinkinh I'd get a nice speed, but I only get barely 35kbs. yet it uploads at around 55kbs.
I used to get speeds of around 120kbs on my old pc maybe 3 months ago. I've tried other torrents with same result.
I've tried Bitlord, Azureus, Utorrent, Bittornado. All same, around 35kbs. I don't think it's firewall as I get green face, and mcafee's allows full access. Could it be something to do with ports? Any help would be appreciated.
I have 8mb maxdsl (3.5mb/500k)
Thanks
15 REPLIES
N/A

Torrents problem

Try utorrent, (www.utorrent.com) it has a built in checker to check whether the correct port(s) are open
Alecto
Grafter

Torrents problem

With that sort of ratio of seeds to leechers, your download is going to be limited to the average UPload speed that they can manage - which is likely to be a lot less than the potential download speed. If you have a down max of 8Mb, your up is still limited to 448k, so theirs probably will be too.

And furthermore, some of the leechers will have limited the upload speed.

And also, if you're uplpoading flat out, that will limit your download speed as the communication necessary for downloading will be hindered. Cut your upload speed to 30 or 40k, which may improve it.

You need a lot more seeders than that to fewer leechers before you can expect fast download speeds.
N/A

Torrents problem

Ok thx a lot. That helps a lot. I guess I had too few seeders and a load of greedy leechers.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Alecto
Grafter

Torrents problem

a load of greedy leechers.
:lol:

Another thing to bear in mind, some of the seeders may have been seeding twenty or thirty other things at the same time, so your percent of their upload speed may have been quite small. I don't know what torrent sites you use, but I've seen that quite often at one famous site.
N/A

Torrents problem

I have to admit that the other night I was seeing amazing speeds of about 277 Kb/s. I was downloading a load of small files in a big 1.3Gb consignment, but for the first time ever I actually got a decent speed.
N/A

Torrents problem

impressive Smiley I'm using Bittornado, and finding that i get best speeds with that now. but it seems to crash every now and again Sad

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Split a duplicated post.]

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Torrents problem

You need a lot more seeders than that to fewer leechers before you can expect fast download speeds.

Not strictly true at all. It depends weather the OP is getting torrents from a public site or not.
A 35seed 34 peer torrent from a private tracker site will max my connection out every time. In fact it would max it out with a LOT less seeders than that usualy. I guess you just get a better class of torrenter Tongue
I wouldnt get a torrent from a public tracker if you paid me....it's leech city out there Wink
N/A

Torrents problem

How do you know whether it's public or private?

Alecto
Grafter

Torrents problem

Public are available to anyone, private you usually have to be invited. If you don't know, then it will probably be public.

While ahoids may max out his connection (don't know his line speed), I wouldn't count that as normal for that ratio of seeds to leechers on some of the private torrents I've seen. Depends as I said earlier on how the uploaders are behaving, and I don't believe you can assume you'll get good downloads with what you quote.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Torrents problem

Bear in mind aswell that any unencrypted torrents are likely to be suffering at the moment due to this.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Torrents problem

It's entirely possible to be getting better download speeds from the leechers than the seeders, so the ratio of one to the other is usually meaningless. As long as there enough providing the original 100% to others to get to you thats all you need to worry about.

But as for the private/public thing, oh yeah, KUavoN (ahem) speeds always hit the big treble figures.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Torrents problem

How's the tests going on that Bob? It's says if everythings ok by the 2nd (today), then it will be made live on the 3rd (tommorrow). Can't remember any announcements about maintainence in the morning.

Phil
N/A

Torrents problem

The pessamist in me thinks it went live this morning as my VMBU tells me i've moved 1.4Gb since 12am whereas the last day or two its been 5Gb since 8am Wink

Ahhhhhhh but you never know Cheesy
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Torrents problem

I was thinking it might have gone live last night as my torrent was pretty fast last night.

Phil