cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent speeds (ports not open)

bluejam
Grafter

I'm thinking of switching to a cable provider soon because I've been putting up with this problem for too long now, I've tried fixing it several different ways, but to no avail.

I get awful speeds on torrents. If a torrent has lots of seeders (say at least 1,000) I can usually get about 50kbps. But generally speaking I get no more than 25, often lingering in the 10 area during the day. I've done port forwarding over and over again with lots of trial and error and that has never got me anywhere. When I test absolutely any port, I always get told that it's blocked or not working properly. All the typical ports that work in the torrent range are all blocked off. I've turned off firewalls to see if that helps, but it doesn't.
5 REPLIES
rob1969
Grafter

I get more or less the same problem,My Azureus says firewalled all the time after port forwarding etc.

I am awaiting the delivery of a new replacement router as I was told that maybe my router is faulty its a 2WIRE 1800HG but having read that you seem to be having the same(ish) problems I am begining to think that it was not the router at all?
bluejam
Grafter

My router was fine with a different ISP, I'm pretty sure it's a PN problem.
Liam
Grafter

bluejam, do you have the ports opened and forwarded in your router? If you let us know what router you have, we may be able to advise.

You should be able to forward the ports you're using from your router to your PC so that incoming connections are successful. This should give you an increase in speed, especially when the network is less busy.
bluejam
Grafter

I said in my first post that I have tried port forwarding, yes.The problem is that absolutely no ports seem to be open.

My router is a Belkin F5D7632-4
suec45
Grafter

Yeah torrent speeds are pretty dire again.

The only time you can get anything like 100K is between 4am and 7am.