cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent probs

N/A

Torrent probs

Hello

I started to download torrent of a software patch last night which was 2Gb in size. My best mate who is with AOL 2Mb also downloaded the same torrent but started 10 minutes after me.

Now I was getting 20 - 30 Kbps download on my premier 2Mb. whereas he was getting more like 200 Kbps and finished hours ago and i am still going.

I know there is shaping, and I have checked for things at my local exchange but all is green. But as a supporter of PN in recent weeks I myself are now starting to doubt the claims that the shaping shouldn't be too significant of an impact.

I wish PN would give us a slightly morer expensive option with no trafic shaping whatsoever, as this is now starting to nag me a little.
75 REPLIES
N/A

Torrent probs

Hi frammy,

Not sure if you have read Dave's post.

It may provide some insight and an idea of the way forward.
N/A

Torrent probs

yep been here on plus net for four years now.
this only my second topic and my 5th post all that time, but as agreed with you only recently has the occured but its wrong.shaping is either to strong or its affecting everything.

but im sure to rectify this plus net will cut and paste from other forums which they hope you havent read.
N/A

Torrent probs

Hi abonwick,

The sticky mentioned outlines what is happening at present and the fact that Plus Net are investigating the issues currently being experienced by some customers and striving to seek a resolution to these problems.

Had they buried their heads in the sand and ignored us, then that would be a different story. They havent.

This is a new strategy and new technology. As your apparent experience would indicate, with the roll out of any new kit or technology there will always be things which occur unexpectedly or dont go exactly according to plan.

It may take time to provide a resolution, if one can even be found. But the attempt is being made and far from copying and pasting answers, there are some people round here who are genuinely trying to help customers. At least give them credit for that.
N/A

Torrent probs

Here is my genuine help for you:

PN do not want you to use P2P (Bit-Torrent/kazaa etc) or usenet. It uses to much of their bandwidth. It is really as simple as that. Have a quick scan through a few other threads in this forum and that will become blatently obvious.

Apparently, despite all customer connections recently being upgraded to about 2MB (and soon 8MB will be available), they have not actually increased the capacity of their main pipe. Therefore there is simply not enough capacity, which is why all P2P traffic has been downgraded to "bronze" (which means that they basically give it the lowest possible priority).
The resolution to the problems that PN are seeking is simple, increase the pipe capacity; but this will not happen in the short term since this will cost them more and their profit margin will decrease; PN are in business to make money, supplying us customers with good broadband service is secondary.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is how it is... Do as many others have already done (and what I will be doing soon) and vote with your feet; go elsewhere.

The (non-PN paid) mods here do their best, but ultimately it is not their fault that the service is shocking. They just seem to be getting the bum-end of the deal trying to console us unhappy customers.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Torrent probs

PN do not want you to use P2P (Bit-Torrent/kazaa etc) or usenet.

It's not that we don't want people to use P2P etc, it's that we want the people who do use it to use it responsibly.

Without any of the measures we have put in place recently we would be in the situation that a very small amount of customers will be using a very significant amount of our capacity, which is a shared resource.

Like all shared resources if people use more than their fair share of that resourse other people suffer. We don't want to let the majority of our customers suffer from the actions of a few. We need to make sure that the majority of customers are happy with the service and there is no point in making a platform that only benefits a minority of customers.

The broadband market is changing, providers are moving away from the "All you can eat" broadband model. Those that aren't will have to soon.
N/A

Torrent probs

bbrown

We don't want to let the majority of our customers suffer from the actions of a few

So why are light users suffering the same slow d/l speeds from p2p and usenet,

thxs
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Torrent probs

Light users on our PAYG accounts have fast speeds on p2p and usenet.

We are working as described in Dave's sticky to improve the performance of usenet and p2p for light users on other account types.

The managed platform is work in progress, it's not completed yet. When we get there it will be much better for the majority of our customers.
N/A

Torrent probs

bbrown

We are working as described in Dave's sticky to improve the performance of usenet and p2p for light users on other account types

But is it not only plusnet usenet servers that where any improvements might come from, how do you intend to improve the speed for 3rd party usenet services..?

thxs
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Torrent probs

No, we are also looking into ways we can improve usenet for both our servers and external usenet. With external usenet it is early days yet so we're not sure that what we would like to do is possible.
N/A

Torrent probs

Mm interesting seeing that the ticket i raised and had returned ..

2005-10-18
12:46:33
Customer Support Centre Assigned : [internal]
have spoken to cust - cust is not happy with 3rd party usenet service - have adv cust that we have this under bronze where it will be staying.
Cust has chosen to migrate and have issued cust with MAC Key.

Regards,

thxs
N/A

Torrent probs

It's not that we don't want people to use P2P etc, it's that we want the people who do use it to use it responsibly.

And who are you to say what is "responsible" usage? We are paying customers; I (and many others complaining about this) are "Premiere" customers. We pay the extra monthly cost exactly to avoid these "Gestapo"-type actions. I have no problem with these limits being imposed on BB+ or PayG packages since they are paying the lower monthly charges, but let me refer you to your own website and "Premiere" package description... And I quote:

- 2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x times faster than dial-up*
- Super-fast 4Mb and 8Mb speeds coming soon.
- Get the security of a fixed monthly payment
- Ideal for experienced, serious Internet users
- Suitable for homes with more than one PC
- Premium quality service for all types of usage

Are you going to be the one to tell frammy or abonwick that they are indeed recieving this supposed "Premium quality service on all types of usage"? It would appear from their posts that this is far from the case.

The broadband market is changing, providers are moving away from the "All you can eat" broadband model. Those that aren't will have to soon.

Only other ISPs with the same mission statement as PlusNet are moving away from your "all you can eat" broadband. i.e. provide the lowest cost (to PN) broadband possible to as many customers as possible => make the most money for shareholders and management.

There are still quite a few ISPs who appreciate that the whole point of "Broadband" is increased speed and therefore more capacity. And I for one will be taking my custom to one of them in the near future.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Torrent probs

geraintmx333 - the plans for 3rd party usenet are yet to be finalised. Like I said we might not even be able to do what we want to do with it.
N/A

Torrent probs

Heres part of a conversation i had with a plusnet agent the other day.

At 12:45 I spoke to a agent from plusnet name not given due to forum rules,
That plusnet are not investigating the slowdown with external usenet server but only their own, and are not concerned about external usenet users and do not intend to investigate external usenet slowdown ,

I asked the agent if that is true than there will be no problem with posting on here or Ag confirming what he had told me, which after checking with someone said yes thats ok,

to me i would say that plusnet know full well what they intent to do with usenet

thxs
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Torrent probs

As the action we are taking with external usenet has not been finalised, many of the agents in the support centre are not aware of what we are planning.

As soon as it is finalised we will be letting everyone know about it.