Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To D Tomlinson

N/A

To D Tomlinson

while i agree to most of what you say in your recent post

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32653

I understand that in certain circmstances traffic shaping needs to be used but surley not too the exstent that at peak time my 2meg premier line become 512k ie d/l of between 25k - 50k ,

thxs
32 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To D Tomlinson

I hope you don't mind me answering this on Dave's behalf, he's out of the office for the evening.

At peak time you should still see better performance than that. Do the figures you quote refer to p2p or http/ftp downloading?

Even though there is traffic shaping on p2p on Premier accounts it shouldn't be slowing your connection to this extent.
N/A

To D Tomlinson

@bbrown

Thxs for the reply, Ive tried Usenet and http and ftp done a lot of test to elimnate exchange hardware etc,

I know Usent is shaped but too me 25- 50 k is not even a 512k conection if plusnet said to me max you d/l you will get with Usnet http was 150k i would ok fair enough but the speeds as they are is beyound reason..

thxs
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To D Tomlinson

Usenet is prioritised, but not shaped like p2p. Usenet traffic is only dropped when the pipes reach capacity, which doesn't happen very often. Personally I frequently dowload files from our usenet servers at over 220kB/s on my staff account, which the shaping is heavier than on the Premier account.
Community Veteran

To D Tomlinson

when the pipes reach capacity, which doesn't happen very often.

So this does happen?

Would I be correct in thinking that PN have started to implement more shaping since the userbase swelled (25,000 in the past few months) Has no new capacity been added to cope with this increase?

Is the plan to maximise profits by squeezing/shaping the bandwidth as much as possible before the shouts get too loud?

I am seriously concerned about these developments, it would appear that profit is coming before quality more and more.

Dont mean to cause offence or start a panic, but I am starting to think the cracks are showing..
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To D Tomlinson

This does happen, but very rarely, and normally through unusual circumstances such as when a really big news story breaks that everyone wants to get more info from the net about which can cause a massive http spike.
N/A

To D Tomlinson

@chesterfield

This is excactly what ive been thinking and been trying to get infomation about,

and as ive said in another thread,

Cs sent me a e-mail stateing that the reason i was only getting 25 - 50k while d/l from a Usenet server was of the traffic shaping,,

heres the e-mail name edited due to forum rules

2005-09-07
11:23:51
xxxxx xxx

Unused - Management (ISP) Actioned : Dear Mr xxxxxx,
At peak usage times then this sort of traffic has less of a priority than http and email etc. Therefore this will be the reason for this. I would suggest that you try to schedule the downloads at of peak times, ie overnight, then you should see less of a reduction in speed. This is to protect and provide an acceptable level of service to all, as sold this is a contended product.
Regards,
xxxxx xxx

so who right Cs or Dt...Huh?
N/A

To D Tomlinson

You can find historical data on when pipes have been enabled HERE, with thanks to Kitz.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To D Tomlinson

Dave is right. Although usenet is of a lower priority than HTTP etc, it is only when capacity is reached that this has any affect. As I have said, this rarely happens.
N/A

To D Tomlinson

@bbrown

thxs for reply, but surely like i said before not the stage where i can only d/l 25k - 50k with a 2meg connection, i would be just as well to get a 512k package,

My d/l so far for my mth is 20gig appox and 12gig of that i spent trying to find out where the problems lay,

i needed to d/l the other night a linux disk which i needed for a pc i was getting going before i went to bed and it was going to take 6hrs for 600meg where ive d/l disk before in about 1hr+

I want to be able to d/l when i need or want too not when plusnet allow me too..
N/A

To D Tomlinson

A decent explanation about the reasons behind shaping…about time!

BUT why no hard caps??

It would be so much easier and so simple (if written in black and white) no one could argue. A decent hard cap at peak times would mean the hard core p2p/usenet users would not use it at this time but a normal user would get the odd file at full speed at peak time and be happy.

A hard cap also gets rid of the users you don’t want, the ones that cost you money. This would be plain and simple to them as well, but instead Plusnet seem to be more content to lie and cheat and annoy users in to leaving. Bad feeling spreads much quicker than Hard caps.

The way I see it, hard caps will arrive, you’ll have no choice, as usage of all the new customers increases what do you do when you run out of p2p to “shape” what’s next??

Somebody at Plus needs to make a decision if you want to be an Internet Service Provider or a WWW Provider and spell it out in black and white with hard and fast rules (and be prepared to make it stick for more than the usual six weeks) instead of all this trying to please everybody and trick new users on to services that they end up not getting( always on BB+ shaped at peak times…NOT) . Then what?? Upgrade them to premiere when they can get to do what they thought they could. More ££ but it only adds to bandwidth needs…..”I’ve had to upgrade to £21.99 so I’m going to use it now as its unlimited NOT and I’ve got to get my moneys worth” only they discover its NOT unlimited now they are really <..> off and make sure they tell everyone they know. If you can’t afford to sell a service for £14.99 then don’t!! People will respect that.

All you’ve ended up doing is pleasing no one by decisions that have been forced upon you by £££. Before someone jumps in here with “I’m happy” you need to look at why are you happyHuh Your getting less for the same ££. You may well be happy with that but a lot are not.

I’m off to pastures new, no complaints about the service ONLY the uncertainty of what tomorrow might bring.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To D Tomlinson

My point is you shouldn't be getting speeds that slow as a result of our shaping. There are many different factors that can affect the speed of your downloads.

Firstly, you could have a problem with your line. This can be ruled out by performing a few BT Speedtests.

If you are using torrents, then there are even more factors to consider, such as firewalls, which ports you're using, which client you use, how many leechers there are for each seed etc etc.

With usenet there are a few things to consider as well, especially how many connections are you using (can be up to Cool. If you are only using one then the speed will not be great.
N/A

To D Tomlinson

@bbrown

nice to meet you on here as well as Aslg,

left a post there for you..,but to this post you mention the usnet connection i tried 3 ipaddy 4 conection on each max i gcould get was 100+ , i used to use 1 address and 2 connections and could max out, and can still max out if it through the day or in the early hours , with just the 2 connections
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To D Tomlinson

You can use up to 8 connections. Have you tried that at all? I always use 8 connections and as I may have mentioned before consistantly get over 200kB/s on our usenet servers. Which servers are you using?
N/A

To D Tomlinson

@bbrown

Have just done a test with 2 connection and then with 8, 2 connection tonight 100k 8 connection 140k overal things are running faster tonight than have been the last 3nights,,

a certain improvment with 8 but still not maxing,, could max out with 2 connection anytime day or night with my old isp, but allway open to sugestion.

thxs you