cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Upgrade yet or wait?

N/A

It seems there are many users experiencing problems with their recent upgrades to 8mg. Looking at the forums in general are their ANY members who have had successful upgrades with no problems. What is the general consensus, is it better to wait till things calm down, or go for it. Please bear in mind I am not using my connection for work, but I think I could put up with loss of connection here and there but not for long.
Suggestions please!!
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hiya

I had my 2mb upgraded sometime ago to 8mb my stable rate took 5 days to hit the proper figure.

I live about 1.6km from the exchange and have a good set of line stats.

Currently

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 26 db

Before max

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Line Attenuation 29 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 29 db 26 db

My SNR varies from 9db -> 6db at night. My router has always sync'd at highest speed.

Just did a speedtest with bbmax got 6501kbs downstream.

But at peaktime my connection will sometime be more contended than when on 2mb before, this is probably due to the exchanges not having the upstream capacity.

I think people are having problem if they are on the limit of the snr range ie 6db target which doesnt give much room for a increase in noise before the line might drop.

Whats you current linestats ?
N/A

How do I check the linestats. I am about 3 miles from the nearest exchange and I am currently getting a regular 1.5mg speed and a good reliable connection.
Also I have a voyager modem (USB) which I think only supports up to 4mg so should still be worth an upgrade.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Hi there,

Most modems or routers have a "Diagnostics" or "Status" section that will tell you your line stats.

If you post what sort of modem or router you are using then hopefully someone will be able to tell you more.
N/A

Linetstats

Check below for your model, it should explain all you need to know

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
N/A

Thanks for the replys. I have just checked the line stats from the link you gave me and this is it.

Modulation G.DMT
Downstream Data Rate 2272
Upstream Data Rate 288

This looks to me about right for a 2mg connection although my speed test download is 1.6mg which I am happy with for the amount I download.

So my question is should I do the free upgrade which is available or not. Even though my modem only supports up to 4mg. It still looks worthwhile.

My modem is 105 Voyager.
N/A

hmm

its looks like its not showing the snr rates which is what we need to see.

maybe you need to update the firrnware
passer
Grafter

This looks to me about right for a 2mg connection although my speed test download is 1.6mg which I am happy with for the amount I download.......

...So my question is should I do the free upgrade which is available or not.

I'm staying put on stats very similar to yours. At the moment you're happy, and it ain't broke. Why seek out grief if you don't need to? Smiley