cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new ISP

N/A

Time for a new ISP

Over time I have seen so many changes of policys to the force9 network usage, its driven me to look for a new provider, who can give me what I want. The network speeds recently are terrible. There are so many people I know who run off the same exchange as me getting (in the worst of cases) 20 times faster speeds with no caps with the same latency.

It does seem kind of backwards that now we have bigger pipes, even more restrictions are placed on us. Its like buying a ferrari, and then running it on milk, I mean whats the point. This really is nothing to do with the upgrades, as it has been like it for the best part of 6 months now. Force9 was great when I first had it, but over time, I have seen the service detiorate, more and more restrictions apply, and other ISP's offer greater service.

If we are going to be offered up to 8mbit lines, then at least let people run at 8 meg instead of 20k/sec. I never had this trouble when I was with my other provider. I would rather pay the extra pound and get no restrictions, no caps, and no excuses why networks have to have traffic shaping on them.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Time for a new ISP

Hi Spink,

I completely respect how you feel and that your unhappy with the service provided by F9 PlusNet. I'm sure users do vote and will continue to vote with their feet & cheque book when it comes to the quality of the service, & thats only right too IMO.

However, I think one users experience is subjective, I also think how you use the service has a significant impact on your opinion. Together with the type of account ( F9 product) you have.

I have been with F9 PlusNet for many years now, I started on a very basic dialup bronze account and am now on F9 premier 2meg. Whilst I agree that F9 are definately NOT perfect and Yes! I do have numerous frustrations with them as a providor and YES! I get annoyed at the less than perfect way F9 communicates with its customers & so forth.

I am pretty content with the service I receive from F9 but I'm a very lite user by my own admission. I have no interest in downloading music i.e.MP3's, no interest in downloading either old TV programs or movie's, & I dont play online games i.e. P2P (I only use email and http and abit of FTP). I dont really have any problem with SUP or speed of service as all my speed tests both F9 and independant test sites proove I am getting a 2meg service that I'm paying for. So I am satisfied that I would be hard pressed to find another ISP that could match the cost per month with what I get.

**I wish you good luck and hope you find the quality of service you are after from another ISP. Just to mention that I know Zen isp has had lots of good press from ex PN users although their service is more expensive than F9's.

Ivan
N/A

Time for a new ISP

Thanks for this Ivan.

It has just been annoying that when I need the bandwidth at a certain point in time, its not there - and I have to wait until 3am in the morning to be able to do what I want.
N/A

Time for a new ISP

Hi splink,

I completely understand how annoying that must be, it seems to me that F9 PlusNet are doing what many many business's that I can think of do. In other words the service is more limited (restricted) at what F9 define as peak period now 4pm to midnight I think.

Other examples in a similar vein might be airlines which charge the highest fair rates at the most popular times of the day or week or holiday period. Or buses that charge the highest fares at rush hours in the morning or when coming home from work. Same with trains i.e.highest cost fares at most popular times. Same with phone calls i.e. BT charge us more after 8am upto 6pm each day as they know that business require a service at that time, its essential and so they make the biggest profits at this time.

**ALL these organisations behave this way and have the service users by the short & curlies, they know we will be almost forced or have no other choice but to use the service at these times thus guarenteing their profitability in the process. Thats why they do it, Yes! we may not like it, we may not agree with it morally but its called capitolism whether you feel ripped off or not? make's you think doesnt it.

**Perhaps I'm becoming very cynical in my middle age but I suspect the vast majority of ISP's will all be doing the same.

Ivan
N/A

Time for a new ISP

most isp's have contention ratios, and if you are on the premier account this is actually better than most isps, where you have a 50:1 contention.

Remember F9 are ensuring that all users can access email and browse the web and play online games during peaktime, and thus downloading will be restricted.

Some days you will have a good connection and no problems, other days it will be slower for downloading, this all depends on how many users are connected through the same point as yourself.

Different isp's have didn't products and specifications, with a lot not offering the same as what F9 do, or will charge you a higher price for a similar package.

Before deciding whether or not you are going to stay or leave, you are best looking at the various packages and comparing them and see which one will benefit you. I left for cost reasons only as got a deal with my telecom provider otherwise i would still be with F9 as my provider. For all I know my new isp may start making changes, of which I may not like, and I may come back to F9 or to another isp, both I would like at the pros/cons from all packages and pick the one that would suit my needs.

As Ivan says, if I was just browsing and emailing, and couldn't find a cheaper cost somewhere else then yes I would have stayed with F9, as they do offer a very good service.

regards
mike