cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket number 20537906 Can anyone else help???

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ticket number 20537906 Can anyone else help???

Hope someone can offer any advice.
I have been maxed now for approx a month or so, and everything seemed stable enough. Recently over the past week, when I log into my desktop system, my router immediately loses sync. and becomes quite unstable for around 10-15 mins, losing sync, and the PPP connection, and the internet slowing down. After 10-15 mins this appears to settle down. Sync sometimes goes up as well. The Downstream Attn is 45dB, and SNR margin is around 2-3dB, but sometimes does up to 6dB. Even when its settled down at night SNR can go down to 2dB. I have tried the router in the master socket,( Front not taken off, as I have no wired extensions in the master socket, it is a plug in one), connected wired and wirelessley to my laptop, and everything seemed stable, and sync went up to 6818kbps. The router did not once resync, and appeared to be rock solid, even though the SNR was at 2dB, and speeds were constantly at around 4Meg. ( IP Profile is 4000kbps).I therefore moved the router back upstairs, to the room with the extension, and connected again with the laptop, wired via LAN. Again things were stable with no drops in sync, although sync speed dropped from 6818kbps to 4818kbps. I then turned off the laptop, and tried the desktop. As soon as I logged in to the desktop, the router lost sync, and things were again unstable for around 15mins, losing sync, PPP connection etc. Can anyone offer any advice on what this may be. I suspect one problem is a dodgy phone extension to upstairs, but I am stumped why the router resyncs as soon as I login via the desktop. Could it be a networking protocol corruption, or faulty LAN cable. I think a clean install of XP may be called for!!

Router is a Netgear DG834G V2 with 2.10.10 firmware, which I have heard is notorious for giving false SNR readings. Is there any software tools out there that can measure SNR?