cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket: 18669851

N/A

I would like someone to help resolve this issue please!!

Well it isnt a problem at my end! I have checked and double checked all of my settings, Made absolutly sure that all my settings are correct and yet I still do not get any decent speeds out of any p2p program I use, which borngs me to the fact that I am a cisco qualified engineer and probably know more about networks and DSL than any of you lot ever will. I have tested with a friend using torrent and a DC++ connection also tested with a second router and also a PCI Modem without any firewall software or antivirus software, something which put my DATA at great risk and at no time have i been able to get anything more than 5-10 kB/s at any time of day. I have also tried use very well seeded torrents and I mean 1000 seeds and yet still I get nothing but 5-10kB/s how can you say the problem isnt at your end when its quite clear that your network managment system is causing the issue. I want what im paying for and thats 25Gb of CLEAN data transfer via p2p protocol. In standard business practice if a company suppling a service isnt supplying the service as promised then usually the company is FINE a proportion of the fee they charge, perhaps I should start doing this to yourself, because your clearly not providing me with a service that I find USEABLE. Perhaps i should withold a months payment from you, although youd simply cut off my service not that what you have supplied is what I term a service. I am not one of the 1% of heavy users that you whine about...all i want is to be able to use my service when i want and to do what I want and I am NOT getting it. How about you give me a MAC code and let me migrate to another Service providor free of charge and waive the delayed activation charge for me as well, because I am sick and tired of batting this back and forward!!

I expect something to be done about the problem...which ISNT with my EQUIPMENT or with my LINE but is YOUR END.
27 REPLIES
N/A

I am a cisco qualified engineer and probably know more about networks and DSL than any of you lot ever will

Hows about alienating a large chunk of the decent people who help other customers on these boards.

I doubt if we could do much to help you, but as a suggestion, have you tried a BT speedtest. I am sure you have but just thought I'dmention it. Wink
passer
Grafter

Hi -

which borngs me to the fact that I am a cisco qualified engineer and probably know more about networks and DSL than any of you lot ever will

so that's what you were learning when you should have been doing typing, spelling, and sentence construction, then! :lol:

Seriously. my friend, this forum is run by the punters, not the staff, so shouting at them will not encourage positive and helpful responses. However, the P2P problems you describe are covered extensively in several threads herein, and we appear to be stuck with them for the time being. The reasons are largely understood by PlusNet and also by the users. We don't like it (I personally hate it as it seriously inhibits my use of the product I'm paying for) but we do have the option to leave.
N/A

You wrote what i thought

Good on you Mark
N/A

I wish you would not come on here alienating people with comments like I know more about networks and DSL than any of you lot will, this makes people not want to help you.

I agree it seams it is not at your end, and I will assume with your vast knowledge of networks and DSL technology you will have run a BT speedtest and found it is all fine there, if so it seams you may be having some issues with the implementation of the Ellacoya system, does your speeds improve at night I gather from your post not but you did say day so just checking.

As for leaving well that would be your choice but of course the defered activation you really can't quibble over, that is for the BT line activation, which I assume this service was provided as you now have ADSL, and the modem if you chose to have one provided, of course issues with the Ellacoya system and its implementation will not change the fact your line was activated and plus.net was charged by BT for the aformentioned activation and you did agree under the seperate terms of the "You stay we pay offer" to cover those costs should you decide to terminate your service agreement.
N/A

also a PCI Modem without any firewall software or antivirus software, something which put my DATA at great risk
OK you start alienating us. I start alienating you.

lets stat with this comment. I mean basically anyone with your background knowledge in networks wouldnt even think about doing this with either doing 1 of the following:

1) Making a backup.
2) Putting the files onto a read only partition.

In either case your data is safer than just leaving it on a completely unprotected pc. Wink

There was 0 Need for you to risk your data. There is 0 need for you to come on here insulting people. There is 0 Need to make a fool of yourslef like you have.

Your repsonce is not that of a typical qualified network engineer. (it lacked any sort of structure. You "appeared" to negliect mention speed tests/ other protocols etc.)

I will howeva overlook this and ask a few questions which may help:

Premier 2mbit has 20 not 25GB clean allownace.

1) whats your total monthly usage? (any idea on how much clean you've used)
2) You are on premier correct?
3) Do a download from an FTP/USENET server. What speeds do u get?(FTP is part of the clean allownace) - These are generally more reliable in terms of speed.
4) raised a ticket? ask to have your profile checked?

p2p by nature is often very poor and is alot down to luck on who u connect to. (you should know this Wink - just because 1 person can max out there line doesnt mean u can.)
N/A

I keep seeing stuff like this - as a BB+ user I cant really see any point in upgrading to be honest as I get those P2P speeds already!

BTW I think chemical sister was directing her ire at PNet rather than the users here so I dont think anyone has to get offended.
N/A

any of you lot ever will.
Wink nuff said i think
N/A

Whatever, actually that was copied from the actual ticket and not aimed at anyone on this forum, i probably should have stated that in the post but didnt, as I was pretty cheesed off with the bollocks replies that ive been getting from CS

I dont bother to spell check anything so if you want to pick up on that then fine go for it, i dont and wont rise to it, its pointless and a waste of my time and energy.

As for leaving my data unprotected, I only have the 1 PC here with me at this moment, I could have used my work Laptop as a dummy and tried that but I already know what the problem is and its not at my end, but even so I simply dont have the time.

My total monthly usage for the last 3 months has been no more than 5Gb per month, been pretty busy at work!!!

Its only this month that ive actually had some time at home, enough to get my Lad off the PC and get onto it myself, and he isnt allowed to use the internet without supervision as he is only 9.

I am on Premier!!

I have tested Usenet...its utter garbage just as bad as p2p so I would assume that FTP would be the same as well.

Yep raised a ticket. as you can tell from the topic title, th reply I got from CS was that Im not being managed....I already know that.

As for p2p yes i know that it can be very hit and miss but when testing from a torrent with over 1000 Seeds its pretty safe to say that you should be able to download at something more than 5-10 kB/s

With regards to speed testing, Ive done a few of them, via the BT speedtester using the bt login details and also tested from a number of sites all are OK, however when I first upgraded to Premier, my upload speed was less than 6 kB/s and had to raise a ticket to sort that out, it took 5 days of batting it backwards and forwards for CS to tell me that there was an issue and they would fix it, which they finally did.

Sorry again if it seemed I was aiming any comments and the users of the forums it wasnt meant like that.
N/A

I have a theory that they manage certain downloads from certain sites. For example I can stream video pretty well and some direct downloads work but others are very slow.

I was gettting about 20 to 50k from one site so switched my wireless network to a unsecured one the neighbours kindly supply our building with and immediately started getting 100-150k download speeds. This was when I was not being managed.

Either they are managing when they say theyre not or their network is just pretty useless.
N/A

@ruggedtoast - Plusnet will have different transit routes. Some of these routes are likely to becone conjested. i've seen this myself and it was down to the route the traffic took.

It seems worse if you try to access sites in the middle east. The transit links to that direction are pretty poor.

@chemicalsister - plusnet usenet has been dodgy the last couple of days although the speed has been fine. I'm at abut 13GB this month and usenet/ftp is fine. Torrents are slow as usual. 40~50K on a good torrent. (despite my m8's getting good speeds of them) Plus ofcourse say nothing wrong. I think all you can do is keep pestering them. I have seen 140+ but is extremely rare and it shouldnt be. I think its best just to keep at them. and with any luck a rep will see this thread and maybe help
N/A

Torrents are slow as usual. 40~50K on a good torrent.

Torrents are completely fine, I have tried several times on good torrents even now when it is peak and managed getting average 105kB/s (1Mbps line Azureus self limited to 110kB/s)
N/A

that fits. I rarely see 100+ on my 2mbit line. I often only get 10 or there abouts.. I think the management is a little selective about who it likes and who it doesnt.

I should prob get it investigated when i have the time.
N/A

I wish id get anywhere near 100 kB/s for my torrents!! if they could even get me to 60-70 kB/s id be happy at that. Problem for me is that even off peak i havent seen a single torrent ive tried go higher than 25kB/s and some of them are very very well seeded, and Could expect a higher speed than I get, peak time downloads are pointless for me, I dont see anything higher than 5-10kB/s for any p2p application even DC++ which used to be pretty good.

I decided to get the problem investigated but its like a brick wall, if i'd come up with some of the answers im getting out of CS, id get shot on the spot at work! lol

Guess ill just have to keep going at them, and not accepting the usual fob offs. Just a bit ****** off at paying extra for 2Mb premier to be able to use p2p when I want to and seeing speeds on it that were no better than on BB+
N/A

as for torrents. Azereus have a new client out that supports encryption. u need to turn it on but it might help u in the mean time.

Can you try a Ubuntu torrent off Isohunt? http://isohunt.com/torrents.php?ihq=ubuntu&ext=&op=and < 2nd one shud be fast as it has a good seed/peer ratio

I seemed to get good speeds of that 1 earlier when i tested.