cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput Stuck after BT Repair - MaxDsl

Nocturne
Grafter

Following a repair by BT to their line last Thursday afternoon my sync speed increased dramatically and has subsequently never been below 5696.

I'm powering the router down each evening but my throughout has only increased to 500 kbs.
This is the value shown on PN's web page which gives the speed BT expect you to achieve.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate&pn_session=a328bed9472a6d99706a86d97d335364

Am I correct in understanding that the value specified on this page will limit my throughput, to 500 kbs in my case, or is it possible to have a significantly higher throughput than this page shows.

I have been asked by CS to run three tests with BT's Speed Checker over a period of time.
I may well have to do this but could it be that the problem lies with PN per the above Web Page.

A test PN have just completed shows my Downstream Line Rate as 5696.
CS have stated that my Line Rate is set to my Throughput Rate.
4 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

The only reason we need the speedtest results is so that we can raise this back to BT. A fault can be logged if the speedtest results are significantly lower than your sync rate for a prolonged period.
Nocturne
Grafter

Thanks Mand - much appreciated

I've logged in per PN's instructions using URL and IP address and tried the BT Speedtest using IE and Firefox and got nowhere.

A typically meaningless error message comes up 'Only Tap 1 Tests enabled - Log In as Tap1 User'.

I'm surprised we have to use what appears to a beta version of a Speed Check programme to try and convince BT that the users throughput has not matched their speed for an excessive length of time.

Has this procedure always been necessary or is this a requirement which BT or PN have introduced ?.

Either way it seems another hurdle to have to overcome before making some progress towards getting the service somewhere close to where it used to be.

Edit:

I've ignored the instructions PN referred me to and simply brought up the BT's Speed Check page and completed a Test which confirmed my Configured Downstream Throughput set at 5000 kbs.

The test produced an actual throughput of 489 kbs.

I presume since this was 'through' PN and not logged direct onto BT it will not count - but at least it works.
Nocturne
Grafter

Can anyone please confirm what the significance is of the value on PN's Web Page relating to the speed BT would expect you to achieve.

Does this in any way limit your speed or throughput.
Community Veteran

Does this in any way limit your speed or throughput.

Yes, it will limit your throughput assuming your exchange is not congested.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed