cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling my downloads question

N/A

lo all, this is a question rather than a moan but it may change Smiley

I am 2 days in to my 2 meg plusnet connection. I was well aware that the 14.99 package wasnt for serious downloaders e.t.c and didnt expect it to be.

I am at work most of the day though i get home sometimes around 3 or 4 having started early.

I dont download sheds of movies/music /p2p BUT I do want to download the odd game between 200 and 500 megs to get me back in to the gaming scene.

Trying this it seems my doewnloads are throttled to between 70 and 120k which seems to rather kill thepoint of having a 2 meg connection. And no it wasnt a slow download server i am savvy enough to check round this.

I took the cheepie package as being back at work i wont be in to heavy gaming e.t.c as i used to be.

Should i consider the 21.99 package , will i still be ' throttled on that one ' and if so during what hours.

What time of day / night am i allowed to download without being ' throttled' on the 14.99 package .

cheers mas
8 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

With the Premier package you will see much better performance of p2p applications and binary newsgroups. There is a very light amount of shaping on P2P on Premier, but this shouldn't be very noticable.
N/A

sorry not being pedantic I may be confused overe terminology.

I'm not really a p2p'er ( i dont think) is downloading a game update from a download server P2P , I'm interested in the odd game download.

Maybe some of the folk could tell me a time of day/night to do such downloads and i'll be O.K anyway ?

cheers Mas
Bizlat
Grafter

thats not quite true Ben i definetly notice shaping on my 1mb between 4-12pm
N/A

thats not quite true Ben i definetly notice shaping on my 1mb between 4-12pm

As do I .. even at off peak times.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

How much slower is it? It shouldn't have a huge affect.

edit: corrected typo.
JJ
Grafter

Ben.....' it should have a huge affect' ....... This was a slip of the tongue :lol:

JohnH
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Oh yeah Smiley

I'll get that edited...
N/A

With the Premier package you will see much better performance of p2p applications and binary newsgroups. There is a very light amount of shaping on P2P on Premier, but this shouldn't be very noticable.

That doesn't seem to be the case at the moment Sad

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33146