cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttled [ or not ?]

iashton
Grafter

Throttled [ or not ?]

I've been following several threads on connection speeds in the Customer Service and ADSL Broadband forums.

Several refer to a 'throttle' on an account. This 'throttle' is under PlusNet control. The advice "ring PN and get them to release your throttle" is often offered.

Can I suggest that the 'throttle' status of an account is added to 'Connection settings'. This would save at least one iteration and hence everyone's time in the quest for maximum line speed.

[BTW if someone could backchannel me in as much technical detail as they like on exactly what a throttle is I'd be grateful]
5 REPLIES
N/A

Throttled [ or not ?]

Ok i was on 2MB Plus for £15 a month, and about 2 days ago, i Upgraded to 2MB Premier for £22 a month, I thought that i was going to get faster speeds on P2P's. So im thinking about switching companies, because every P2P is blocked, even legal ones, i only get 10KB/s MAX on them. why cant plusnet give P2P's high priority, like the internet and email is?? Why cant we choose whether we want high priority on P2P's on Connection Settings?.. Let me know.. Please. :?
N/A

Throttled [ or not ?]

Because those that (ab)use p2p for warez slow down the net for everyone else.
N/A

Throttled [ or not ?]

What a load of rubbish. Try reading some of the problems people are having.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont us ALL of a preceding post as a quote.
N/A

Throttled [ or not ?]

why cant plusnet give P2P's high priority, like the internet and email is?Huh

firstly, 'the internet' refers to the global network which connects millions of computers, and that PlusNet connect you to. I will assume that here, by 'internet', you are referring to HTTP ("web browsing").

Now, secondly... P2P is the lion's share of traffic on PlusNet's network, and indeed the entire internet. Have a think, for a few seconds, about what exactly prioritising P2P would do.?

No? Well, it would mean that everything was the same priority. Web browsing and email (amongst others) would slow down. P2P speed would not increase, and PlusNet's network would be contended out of existence.

Regards,

James
Community Veteran

Re: Throttled [ or not ?]

Can I suggest that the 'throttle' status of an account is added to 'Connection settings'. This would save at least one iteration and hence everyone's time in the quest for maximum line speed.

I presume by this you mean a function in which you can lift or apply the throttle yourself? If so I would fully support that proposal. At one point this was going to be the norm however it was put on hold when plus found the ability to unthrottle legacy accounts, iirc it may still be developed in the future but is of a low priority.