cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttled once, throttled forever??

N/A

I requested my MAC code today, that's after about 18 months with PN. I went over my usage limit for the first time in October 2006 and got trottled during peak, I expected it...

However, it seems this was just the start of my problems. Ever since then every single day at 4pm My speeds bomb through the floor. I'm talking less than 0.1mbps up/down. Web browsing is like wading through treacle in glue covered boots.

I contacted PN half way through November and told them I felt I was still being throttled despite being into a new billig period. They told me to do some BT speed tests which I did, here are the results from the support ticket I pasted them:

---------
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4061 kbps

-------------
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3899 kbps

-------------------
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6283 kbps

As you can see, all the results seem ok. They don't suggest that I should be getting such low DL speeds. I got this response in reply:

"The management we apply to accounts does not affect speeds given on the BT speedtester site. I think this is going to be because BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at your exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification. At busy times, in particular, your ADSL connection can operate at a much reduced speed. BT's ETA fix time for this is: 30 Nov 06"

I waited for 30th November, it came and went. Still the same problem. My exchange is GREEN "There are currently no known capacity problems on your exchange" yet at this moment my speeds are slower than ever.

Contacting PN again, they tell me change gateways, I have already. This is beyond a joke...

I get the impressive that PN support just skim read tickets and paste pre made replies. Over a month now I've had this issue.

What exact option do I have other than request a MAC? I've had a ticket open with support for a month now and things are worse not better. It seems pretty obvious to me at least that I'm still be throttled as every single day without fail as soon as the clock hits 4pm the dial up speeds come into play and I'm no where near my DL limit.

So pissed off with this BS. :-(
25 REPLIES
N/A

All I can really say to you is: good luck with it.

I gave up waiting for Plusnet to answer a question I had about the throttling of IRC traffic. They were wholly unable to provide any meaningful answer within a reasonable time frame. I found my IRC speeds down to the point of connections getting dropped, i.e. sub 1KB/sec. Yeah... 1KB/sec and then as if by magic at odd moments the speed would leap up to a far more reasonable 320KB/sec for a couple of seconds before dropping back to below 1KB/sec.

The reason?

I suspect Plusnet throttle absolutely everything all of the time. If I'm right, perhaps you should be grateful you get any good speeds ever? Wink

Seriously though, don't expect any sort of straight answer. Any new tickets will receive a totally meaningless reply within 12-24 hours and then when you respond back saying that the reply was meaningless you'll probably end up waiting several days for someone to then say "I've escalated this." at which point you may as well give up all hope of hearing back.

As I keep saying on this forum, I'll leave PN soon. Certainly by the end of January. I may well migrate my friends and family away from PN too...

Anyway, sorry for going on about my own experience there, but thought it might reassure you that you're not the only experiencing a poor level of customer service and mysterious traffic speeds.

Good luck with things, and I hope that you get the issue resolved.
James
Grafter

Sorry if I've missed something here, but as you are getting fluctuating speeds on the BT Network, how is generating your MAC Code going to help this? The BT Speedtest bypasses our Network and gives you the speed directly on BT's.

Move to another ISP, you'll just get the same problem.
Community Veteran

My BT speedtests fluctuate too, but my PN speed at peak time certainly doesnt get anywhere near the BT speeds.

Yes the OP will still see the same BT speed reductions at peak time, so do many others. The point I think the OP makes is even though a BT speedtest gives a result of several MB speed, when connected to the plusnet network, they get nowhere near that level.

Obviously he could be within the top 6% of users of a product and have his connection throttled for that reason. Apparently this is done regardless of whether they are within published limits or not, just being in the top 6% will do it.

Until BT spend some money on aserious upgrade of the whole network, I think we are all likely to experience BT congestion at some point, but until then, we should expect to at least get somwhere near that speed through our PN connection, and quite frankly we arent.
N/A

Sorry if I've missed something here, but as you are getting fluctuating speeds on the BT Network, how is generating your MAC Code going to help this? The BT Speedtest bypasses our Network and gives you the speed directly on BT's.

Move to another ISP, you'll just get the same problem.

Sadly, I think you do misunderstand. The speeds I get from BT are a *million miles* better than those I get after PlusNet.

What exactly does one have to do to get you guys to check if there's actually a problem? like I'm still being throttled!!?!!

Every single day come 4pm my speeds drop to 350kbps, 100kbps, 400kbps etc etc. My uploads even worse. Please, gimme a break. I got throttled in October for the first time, since then it appears I've been throttled every day since. Yet all you guys do is tell me to run BT speed tests, and when I do, you gloss over the figures which show quite clearly that the BT speed tests results are no where near the results I'm getting from PlusNet.
James
Grafter

Hi,

Sorry, yes I did misinterpret what you were saying. Please accept my apologies for that.

Can you post some speed test results and let us see what you're actually getting?

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk
http://www.speedtest.net

Both seem to be pretty reliable.
N/A

This was from last night: 7:38pm

Early morning 12:42am

This is now:

Usually my speeds during off peak are acceptable, although todays seems a tad lower than usual.

But like I keep saying over and over, like I have been for a month now in my support ticket. When 4pm hits my speeds SUDDENLY dive through the floor. Every single day, whether at the start or end of a billing period.
James
Grafter

Right ok. That doesn't sound good.

Would you be happy for us to try dial testing your account after 4pm? That would mean that if there were any profiling/management against your line, we would also see it, and it would take any exchange/line problems out of the equation.

We'll do it on Dave's line. We believe that he is the only person on his exchange.
N/A

I've also just ran a BT speed test and it's looking quite different to what it was previously:

Today:
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7648 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1936 kbps

20th November:
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6283 kbps
N/A

Right ok. That doesn't sound good.

Would you be happy for us to try dial testing your account after 4pm? That would mean that if there were any profiling/management against your line, we would also see it, and it would take any exchange/line problems out of the equation.

We'll do it on Dave's line. We believe that he is the only person on his exchange.

James, you can do whatever you like, if it will help. Dial testing, I assume that means my phone will be ringing this evening? if so, no problem.
James
Grafter

That suggests a change in BT's bRAS profiling overnight.
N/A

That suggests a change in BT's bRAS profiling overnight.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but when I did the 20th November test I was having the same problem, albiet not as severe.
James
Grafter

The IP Profile that you are quoting in those speed results is the restriction at BT's end, commonly referred to as the bRAS profile.
N/A

The IP Profile that you are quoting in those speed results is the restriction at BT's end, commonly referred to as the bRAS profile.

Why would BT restrict it?

Sounds like I'm getting a double whammy.
James
Grafter

It's often caused by your router resyncing at a lower level. This results in the bRAS dropping within 90 minutes. Unfortunately, it takes up to 3 days to pick up again if a steady higher level of sync is maintained.