cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttled Usage?

N/A

Throttled Usage?

Hi,

I am currently on the 'PlusNet Broadband Premier - Up to 2Mb' package and was wondering whether or not certain ports are throttled.

I use some P2P programs and it seems that recently the connection speeds have dramatically dropped to between 1-3Kb, sometimes even slower!!

I have done a speed test which gave me a result of 1437.7 which while not up to full speed is still around the speed I would expect.

Because the speed test is giving me a decent result, this leads me to believe that certain ports are being throttled especially since my speeds on my old ISP using the same apps where fine.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Throttled Usage?

To my knowledge no ports are throttled, its the packets sent and recieved are throttled, in other words you cant just change the port and itll work, its the packets that cause the traffic to be shaped, now I dont know what way premier works but as far as i know you arent meant to have any shaped traffic unless you have already downloaded over a certain amount or its during a certain time of day, double check it with their "vision of 2006"
Community Veteran

Throttled Usage?

It is types of traffic that are being checked not ports so it does not matter what port you use for P2P, it can be detected as P2P traffic and included in any allowances or speed restricted as necessary. The same applies to FTP and Usenet traffic.
N/A

Throttled Usage?

So what are the actual caps then?

When I signed up I was under the impression that there was about a 70Gb fair allowance usage. I have only used about 40Gb so far....
N/A

Throttled Usage?

SUP = 30Gb peak or 100GB per month ( 4PM till Midnight peak time)

FTP/USENET/P2P 20GB Peak per month ( 8AM till midnight peak time) Off peak use as normal.
N/A

Throttled Usage?

Thanks