cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread locking - message to moderators

madswitcher
Grafter

One of the recent forum questions from mrrippy had a valid question about Forum Access and was promptly taken off subject by one post (getitonbangagong), but rather that get it back on track, it was locked without the opportunity to continue and expand.

It appears to me that some moderators are starting to get a bit heavy handed and just locking at every opportunity.

In the above case, would it not have been better to have put the subject back on track and chastise the thread high-jackers?

Getting a bit heavy handed guys - I am starting to get symptoms of 'Lock rage'
38 REPLIES
N/A

Can I just make somthing clear here and put the above post into perspective.

mrrippy's thread had 2 on topic posts and about 14 off topic posts. I requested that the thread return to topic some hours before I locked it, if that is not trying to get the subject back on track then I havent a clue what is. Add to the fact that the op's question was answered, said thread was serving no purpose.

It seems to be open season on mods and Plus Net at the minute and the tendency for postin inaccuracies seems to spreading into the perception of moderating actions.

If you are going to criticise us, at least be accurate. Stating that the locking of a thread with 2 on topic posts out of about 16 is heavy handed is verging on the rediculous.
N/A

Can someone post a link to the thread in question so that the "Community" can make there own mind up.
madswitcher
Grafter

Mark -
please do not get defensive - my post was accurate - one post took the thread down another route to which others then contributed - What I am getting at is that no action was taken against those who highjacked the thread.

Yes warning were given - quite rightly by you and a colleague - but it seems that the only tol you have to control the forum is a locking mechanism. By doing so you must be getting frustrated, but this is just feeding the trolls in some respects.

Mike
Community Veteran

I have to say I agree... you didn't lock the thread unduly... And I will admit I hijacked it. Not normally my intention, but I am afraid I felt very strongly about what I posted.

I dont expect Plusnet to provide an "I don't like the attitude of other posters because...." forum... but I posted because racism really stinks and if links to racist content is published in a Plusnet forum I am interested in sorting it out,, and if the links are also pointing to racist content under the name of "Plusnet Jokes" Plusnet should be interested... when the link originates on their forums!
N/A

Having finally worked out which thread the OP was refering to I agree that it had gone off topic and removing the link was the right thing to do.

And for once locking the thread was the only action that could have been taken.
N/A

I have to say I agree... you didn't lock the thread unduly... And I will admit I hijacked it. Not normally my intention, but I am afraid I felt very strongly about what I posted.

I dont expect Plusnet to provide an "I don't like the attitude of other posters because...." forum... but I posted because racism really stinks and if links to racist content is published in a Plusnet forum I am interested in sorting it out,, and if the links are also pointing to racist content under the name of "Plusnet Jokes" Plusnet should be interested... when the link originates on their forums!

I don't use PN webspace but don't they have T&C's regarding acceptable content on their servers?
shellsong
Grafter

As I have pointed out in a similar "topic" (I won't call it a "thread" because that would be a insult to the principle of "threading") the present limitations of the Forums leave the moderators with extremely crude tools to deal with offending posts.
If there was true threading and maybe the ability to collapse posts or threads many of the problems would be easily coped with!
Theoretically these Forums could probably be MODded with MobyThreads to achieve something like that-- I don't know whether there's the will to check it out at PN
N/A

shellsong,
I've brought up the idea of adding a few useful mods before. The reason why PlusNet are reluctant to apply them is because the version of phpBB they are using is heavy customised so it works with the portal.

As I've not seen what access the moderators have here I don't know if its even possible for them to split a topic when it goes off on a tangent from the original, which would be a better idea than locking the entire thread IMHO.

Given the ratio of users:moderators I personally think they are doing a bang up job, even if it may appear to be heavy handed at times.

Keep up the good work guys!

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles
channel
Grafter

My understanding is that the mods here work with very limited functionality.

Splitting threads, for example, is not possible because these forums are a heavily modded version of phpbb.

Therefore the tools available are a bit crude. That's just one of the reasons why the amount of thread locking might be more than on other forums.

However, as a general point, it seems to me that the mods here are having to do a lot more moderation than they bargained for. There are a lot of posters who are, frankly, being deliberately inflammatory and off-topic or, even worse, multi-topic.

There are also complaints about the fact that, on occasion, the mods are locking one thread too many. However, at the end of the day, I don't think it is entirely reasonable to expect the mods to read every single nuance of every single post in the current circumstances. Let's face it, there really are plenty of negative threads in which you can expunge your thoughts. Ultimately, if you want a free for all negativity fest, then I would suggest that ADSLguide might be an apporpriate place to vent your spleen.
N/A

hmmm , Mr pcsni. I used to think you were great around the forums before you became a moderator. Your still pretty good, but getting a bad rep for your unecessary moderator duties in my opinion. :roll:
Alecto
Grafter

hmmm , Mr pcsni. ...........your unecessary moderator duties in my opinion. :roll:

but necessary in my opinion, and there are some of us think that the mods are too lax.
rammie1976
Grafter

If a thread 'goes off topic' and then becomes another topic, a topic with a relevant (or even irrelevant) point why does the thread have to be locked - its not even that there was pages of silliness or abuse...whats the problem?

So why don't the mods say start another thread titled say in this case 'acceptable links in signatures' and request posters continue in that thread provide a link (and a link on the new thread even?)....

"I mentioned earlier that it was going off topic and Chris has mentioned that the issue is now closed as far as this forum is concerned.

As such, this thread is no longer serving a purpose and is now locked."

What is this obsession with only one topic on a thread?

A very serious topic was being discussed and we're treated like children and told to stop being naughty!
N/A

....It seems to be open season on mods and Plus Net at the minute .....

You are not alone in thinking this!

I could understand it if Plusnet started questioning why they bother to provide this forum for their members, and why their staff contribute to forums.

Many isps simply don't make the effort of Plusnet to engage with their customers, and yet doing so seems to generate a disproportionate level of criticism and abuse.
N/A

archaeolith, its not an obsession, it simply enforcing the rules.

At the end of the day, if you dont like the rules of this board, find another one.