cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This makes plusnet useless to me

N/A

I've never posted here before, but am going to now. This idle timeout nonsense makes a mockery of the one reason I still stay with plus: the static IP. I want to make incoming ssh connections to my home pc while I'm at work. The convenience of not having to carry floppies/flash back and forth is what keeps me with plus. The convenience of being able to fix any member of families computer remotely (every single one of whom is on plusnet for that very reason) is what keeps me with plus.

Two key features that I signed up for plusnet on:
* Always on
* Static IP
This idle timeout removes both of these. The recent speed upgrade I received is worth NOTHING to me. These two things are.

There are plenty of other ISPs providing a non-always on, non-static IP service for less money. What on earth are you thinking?

If you do this I will cancel. I will cancel at least four other accounts when I go. And I will stop recommending plus.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I don't know about home surf but bb+ has never had a static IP and premier and payg aren't getting idle timeouts.
csogilvie
Grafter

HomeSurf was a Static IP.
Community Veteran

So how would the timeouts effect that?
N/A

They won't all that will happen is if there is no traffic in a 5 minute period then the connection will be dropped. When the connection resumes the modem/router/whatever will get the same IP address.
N/A

They won't all that will happen is if there is no traffic in a 5 minute period then the connection will be dropped.

30 minute period Smiley
N/A

It's a 30 min period.

For outbound connections, there is little harm in this, provided your equipment is configured correctly.

It does however harm incoming connections, in that an incoming connection won't re-establish the dropped session.

As above, this only affects HomeSurf and broadband Plus customers.

Customers on Broadband PAYG, Broadband Premier, and the old Broadband Home 500/1000/2000 packages are not affected by this.
N/A

Philip, though I would hope incomming traffic is counted as activity and so will keep the link alive (I know TCP/IP will give alot of bidirectional ack's etc but UDP etc won't... so you could get 5 mins of traffic in with no out bound)
N/A

Indeed.

It's more that once the link drops, outbound data can automaticaly establish a connection (configuration permitting). Inbound traffic won't do this.
N/A

So does this mean I won't receive voip calls if Plusnet have disconnected me? Is this progress?
Community Veteran

You wont receive voip if you are dissconnected but from what ben said earlier you wont get dissconnected if voip is active.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, but sorry I'm not very technical. What does voip being active mean?
N/A

If you have VoIP software open (well, the software that PlusNet recommends - I can't say how other software works), it sends data more than once every 30 minutes, even if you don't receive or make any calls. So as long as the software is open, your connection is active, and therefore it will not timeout.
N/A

Thanks for the reply - what is the recommended software, and if it isn't Skype, will Skype work in the same way and keep the connection open?
N/A

Google and you will find ways to keep your connection active and avoid the idle timeouts if its a must.