cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This isn't a very good start is it.........

N/A

After all the trouble over the fair usage fiasco I decided to download bandwidth monitor pro to actually see what I was getting through in a day/month etc.
Was quite surprised at the results.
I checked today (20/2/05) to see what I had used for the 19/2/05

According to plusnet VMU - 5.86GB

According to Bandwidth Monitor Pro - 5.565

Now someone has got this wrong and personally I think it shows Plusnets problems. You have already stated that there could be discrepancies with your VMU so I don't hold out much hope of getting a fair reading when the fair play usage kicks in. This has annoyed me.I know its not a huge amount but if u calculate this inaccuracy over a month it could mean GB's of data.AND THIS WAS ONLY OVER 1 DAY!!!

Also.I recently read an article stating that at any one time Plusnet is only using 60% of its total capacity.But u say that at the current rates this is unsustainable.
How?

Also,if and when this fair use policy kicks in,what happens if u get a huge influx of new signups from other ISP's? How is this going to affect your precious capacity that u say you are trying to protect? OR will this mean that the terms and conditions will suddenly be changed again to suit your needs and people will just have to lump it!
9 REPLIES
N/A

Re: This isn't a very good start is it.........

Hi there,

First of all if you raise a ticket we'll happily look into your usage for you.

Secondly on the issue of sustainability, we have made no secret of the fact that great consideration was given to the "financial" sustainability of the products.

Put simply some of our customers were costing us 400-700 pounds per month.

With respect to the usage discrepancy we are only talking about 300MB out of around 6-8 GB.

Regards,

Rich

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed.
N/A

I think daz2712’s point is 300Mb x 30 days = 9GB

P.S. isn’t bad netiquette to quote the previous post in full?
Dealt with (johnessex)
N/A

Hi there,

I understood the point but as we've covered a few times lately these are so many resons for a mismatch of figures like this.

Sorry about the quote but I didnt think the post was long enough to cause concern, also with the pace the forums have moved of late it's wise to be sure your answers aren't misinterpreted.

Also why not try reading the "falsely accused.." thread in this furom, despete initially being very angry it turns out bandwidth is easier lost that you think.

Regards,

Rich
N/A

In what units does your osftware track usage?

Remember, PlusNet use the SI convention for data transfer amounts.

From quick inspection, if your tool monitors units in 2^30, it would translate to roughly the figures as shown by PlusNets VMBU.
N/A

Close........ 5.565 x 1.024 = 5.69856
N/A

So the users may have gotten away with roughly 40MB of data in his favour

Depending on the users setup, this could be attributed to LAN chatter, or possibly data blocked at the firewall level before even exiting the computer.

That is only speculation though and again, depend if the counter measures in 2^30 or not.
N/A

Ah, not so quick to criticise my nimble fingered friend. I was merely pointing out how the conversion is done. As to which is correct, we have no idea – 300MB, or 40MB
N/A

Somewhere (wish I could remember where) I read that BT only pass the figures to PlusNet every couple of hours.

Now, if I compare the figures for a single day (multiplying mine by 1.024) there are often noticeable discrepancies - but sometimes PlusNet say that I've used *less* than my own calculation, not more.
If I do the same over a week, the difference is trivial.
I suspect that my "midnight" may not always be the same as BT's "midnight".
N/A

I suspect that my "midnight" may not always be the same as BT's "midnight".

ehe because BT are in a world of there own :lol: