cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is totally unacceptable.

N/A

I use the internet to work and run my business...
With speeds as they are now, i can't work.

Get it right Plusnet or you're going to end up on BBC's watchdog.

Note to employees of plusnet - If too many customers leave PN you will all loose your jobs.

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Title changed from all caps as per link:rules]
17 REPLIES
James
Grafter

What speeds are you currently reporting?
N/A

Speed is less than 200k when i can actually get any bandwidth...
Generally speaking its taking about 30-60 seconds per mouse click to do anything. That'll give you some idea of how slow.
Community Veteran

Hi Iainet

Can I ask which package you are on?

Chilly
James
Grafter

Hi Iainet,

Looking at the conditions on your line, the downstream line attenuation is very high (62dB). It's also reporting some other random oddities.

I'd be inclined to think that this is a problem with your internal wiring, hardware or telephone line. Can you please change your microfilter and try connecting directly to the master socket, or more preferably, the test socket behind this.
Firejack
Grafter

If iainet is using FTP then I can confirm those sort of numbers. Getting timeouts and pauses between 5-10 seconds on executing the most simply of actions like deleting a file. Been deleting the contents of one folder for over 20 minutes now :shock:
N/A

Hi Chilly, yeah i'm on Max DSL £21.99 a month package.
shellsong
Grafter

@iainet

After seeing James' comment it would possibly be useful to see what your stats are-- have you done much to try troubleshooting your local wiring?

Have you tried with the router/modem plugged straight into the test socket of your BT master if you have the split face NTE5 type of master?
N/A

Yes Yes Yes i tried all those things already thanks everyone... still have the same speed...
I've not changed any setting or hardware since monday when everything was working fine.

this has happened before, and it righted itself after a few days. but thats not acceptable, i am loosing work here.

it can take 10 minutes to get onto this site to even perform a test.

If you look at 'my questions' i have a test running that never completed so it says this end.

there are too many people on this forum complaining about speed issues for me to accept that this is my set up causing this.
Community Veteran

When there are "many people on this forums" complaining about speed problems its very easy to jump on the Me Too bandwagon.

When in fact there are many things that can causes slow speeds;

BT Exchange contention
    PlusNet central capacity
    Incorrect traffic management profile
    The unpronounceable's miss configured, again!
    Exceeding your bandwidth allowance
    Wrong product for your usage
    Noisy BT phone line
    Poor quality internal phone extensions (Disconnect ring wire)
    Cheap microfilters
    Dodgy router
    external interface

I am sure I have missed a few more.

The last 7 are under your control, so they should be the easiest to rule out, but it does take a little effort.

James is suggesting the the problem lies with one of the last 5 in my list.

Chilly

"external interface" added to list.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You missed the biggest cause of increased problems at this time of the year: Christmas lights
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I'd be inclined to think that this is a problem with your internal wiring, hardware or telephone line.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's never PN's fault!!
They told me it was a fault with my line, BT's fault.
A friend is a BT engineer, he checked my line. My new ISP checked my line also. Nothing wrong with it!
Community Veteran

Good one Jelv.

It may sound odd but they can cause interference, mess up your connections. Central heating is another one.
I have added "external interface" to the bottom of my list.

Chilly
sinewave
Grafter

this has happened before, and it righted itself after a few days

The same thing happened to me. every now and again things would really go wrong. I'd go through all the usual checks, lodge tickets etc etc - I even re-wired my house with Cat5e cable - but then it would just sort itself out for no reason. And all tests would always come back as "no problem found". The good times got shorter and the bad got longer until eventually noise appeared the voice line and ~no-one~ could argue there wasn't a problem! It still took BT over a month to actually get it fixed (no really!). God it was frustrating. I probably know more about phone lines and the net than BT after that:-)

there are too many people on this forum complaining about speed issues for me to accept that this is my set up causing this.

Yeah but they don't have the it as bad as you do!

There's something wrong, very wrong. I wish you luck.
James
Grafter

Yes Yes Yes i tried all those things already thanks everyone... still have the same speed...
I've not changed any setting or hardware since monday when everything was working fine.

If you're still seeing the same speed related problems, I'm happy to raise this with BT.

too many people on this forum complaining about speed issues for me to accept that this is my set up causing this.

It's very important to determine being a line fault and any potential issue with our network. Your line stats strike me as being a problem.

Also, if you are running a business, why are you on a residential connection?