Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is ridiculous - speeds !!!

N/A

Browsing is terrible

http downloading is non existent at 5k/bs

Somebody please stop me from blowing a great gaping hole in Plus.nets HQ !!

weeks this has been going on for !!! always at evening times, whats the point in paying for BB Premier up to 8mb when it clearly isnt worthy of it !! 56k Modem suitable more like !!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Evil Evil Evil
199 REPLIES
N/A

I have just been experiencing that slow staggered loading of a graphic on the screen when browsing webpages - you may remember it used to be like that with dialup and a modem. It is taking 10 seconds or so to load larger images on some webpages - I feel quite nostalgic…! :?
N/A

It's doing my head in, I got important things to download and its affecting everything !!!
N/A

After my experiences in October when I was down to sub 500Kbps on a sync rate of 8128Kbps, and reading the posts here I have come to the conclusion that either MaxADSL is not a very well thought out technology, or it is just not worth having.I regraded back to a fixed 2Meg connection,and after reading your posts I started a download of Google Earth as an experiment, and at the time of writing this(and I wish I knew how to put a screen grab in thes messages) it was reading
"27.3 of 29.6(186KB/sec)-13 seconds remaining" which I think is not too bad for a 2Meg connection at this time of the day(2140hrs)...... I think the trouble is that everything has to pretty well perfect for MaxDSL to work at it's best potential.

So there must be other factors other than Plusnet involved,otherwise I doubt I would be seeing the speeds I am.

"http downloading is non existent at 5k/bs "

That download was via HTTP by the way.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What results do you get on a speedtest such as

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

Is this just a download from a specific site or any site? What about just general browsing or other things and speeds off peak?

It's difficult to say exactly what the cause is as there's a number of different things. Depending on the results of the tests, I'd suggest raising it via the fault checker and the faults guys can take a look into it for you.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

There are other threads regarding slow downloading.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53213&highlight=

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53211&highlight=

I also had this last night (3-400 kbps!) but after 11 pm it returned to more normal levels.

Come on PlusNet. If several people report the same thing there is something wrong. Please, please don't just say we have no reported problems
N/A

Hi,

What results do you get on a speedtest such as

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk I have used Plus.Net's own speed checker and they were around 500 - 700 bps

Is this just a download from a specific site or any site? It was, but I have also tried different downloads from different sites also were just as slow What about just general browsing or other things and speeds off peak? general browsing was like dial up speeds, shows the text quick but any images took a while to load up
I'd suggest raising it via the fault checker and the faults guys can take a look into it for you. I have raised enough tickets to last a lifetime with the fault checker guys and all they ever tell me are to turn off my router, reconnect, blah blah and then oh look it's exactly as it was before.

Basically any internet usage is pointless in the evenings as it is impossible to use !!! Now I know that internet and ratios and what not come in to effect in the evenings when more people are online but NOT TO THE POINT THAT AN UP TO 8MB LINE IS SLOWER THAN DIALUP !!!!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN I PAY OVER £20 FOR THE PRIVILEGE

I would like to say that in the mornings everything is almost perfect. Good speeds on USENET and Internet browsing is fine.

So there's probably half the problem resolved their.
James
Grafter

I'd suggest that blowing a gaping hole in PN HQ could potentially cause a downturn in ticket and call response times, so perhaps not the best action to take.

You're on LLU, so this definitely has nothing to do with BT Central Capacity, so that eliminates the capcity debate. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that there exchange contention on the Tiscali side of things. Have you raised a fault to them?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

You're on LLU, so this definitely has nothing to do with BT Central Capacity

I'm not on LLU and I guess most others who are reporting a slowdown aren't either.
James
Grafter

Hi Nick,

Sorry - as you might have gathered I wasn't actually replying to your message.

I suspect that the issues that you were seeing last night were related to the imbalance caused by the gateway drop yesterday morning.
N/A

I'd suggest that blowing a gaping hole in PN HQ could potentially cause a downturn in ticket and call response times, so perhaps not the best action to take. was just a figure of speech hehe

is that there exchange contention on the Tiscali side of things. Have you raised a fault to them? a fault with Tiscali, why should I raise a fault with Tiscali, I am with Plus.Net, I know Tiscali run the LLU but I pay Plus.Net for this (terrible) service.

How do I leave ! now !!
James
Grafter

Sorry Matt.

I did of course mean to raise a fault through us, and we would pass it to Tiscali for you.
N/A

Now raised a ticket, lets hope it gets sorted asap.

Ive put up with so much over the last year or so through all Plus.Nets probelms but this is last straw !
N/A

Well I raised my ticket at 2pm today and I haven't had a reply, looks like Plus.Net are really taking my issue seriously ! hahaha what a joke !!

evening
31-01-2007 19:28:42 438.2
31-01-2007 19:27:57 597.6
31-01-2007 19:27:39 454.9
31-01-2007 19:27:06 430.9

afternoon
31-01-2007 14:03:35 1238.2
31-01-2007 14:02:41 1571.6
31-01-2007 14:02:25 1375.9
31-01-2007 14:02:09 1413

Even though the afternoon speeds are a joke too, it's appaling I am getting such slow speeds in the evening !!
N/A