cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is a joke now. Email yet again

N/A

Yesterday I sent an email to a .nhs.uk email address.
It has been returned with this message:

Your message

To: Information
Subject: *Spam?* HR Manager.
Sent: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:35:23 +0100

was deleted without being read on Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:19:26 +0100

Final-Recipient: RFC822; Edmund.Lovell@cddah.nhs.uk
Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; deleted
X-MSExch-Correlation-Key: iBDWujBnw0qsjuKKnxvpuw==
Original-Message-ID: <BAY124-F2541AB0B64B560FF9387AFCE3F0@phx.gbl>

The email was NOT SPAM. It was a genuine email sent to a government NHS address.
What the hell is going on plusnetHuh?

I saw an advert today on a hoarding, "Email on the move with O2"
Email from my sodding desktop would be nice...
15 REPLIES
N/A

Probably need to see the rest of the headers from the email containing the failure message, but it looks like it was NHS that marked the message and deleted it.
I'm not sure if PN check outgoing email - I don't think so.
N/A

I'd have to agree, it looks like its been stopped at the NHS end for some reason.
Remember that gov't networks often have an extra layer of 'stupid filtering' like the chap who complained about a planning application by email. His objection was not received twice, and the construction work went ahead.
The reason for his mail not getting through? He complained about the size of the proposed erection!
Full story here

ISP's don't usually check outgoing mails, as mail scanning in itself is a large processing overhead, and there's little value to scanning outgoing mail, since it will be scanned by the incoming ISP anyway. Kind of an industry-wide practice.
Not the same as an actual company scanning outgoing mails though - we scan all ours, because we don't want our company name to be associated with spam, virii etc. but for an ISP, its their customers good names at risk, and its assumed they'll check their own mail to protect their own name.
N/A

My apologies for the mis-worded post.
The point I was trying to make (which I missed completely!!) was a legit email (no mention of erections....) gets stopped by spam filters in the nhs, then why can't plusnet stop all the obvious spam, as seen on oprah, replica watches, vjagra, stocks and shares etc etc etc....

On another thread someone has said spam should settle down now after the bank holiday, you're right, it has done, I am now back down to 20-25 a day.
N/A

Does that not suggest that it has reached the recipient, but on seeing the subject being marked as *spam* has just deleted it?
N/A

Your powers of observation are overwhelming.

Who or what marked the subject with 'spam' then? I didn't! Obviously something has added 'spam' to the subject line.

I have a friend who is also on plusnet, whenever we send emails to each other, most of them have the word 'spam' added to the subject line when we receive them. Using *your* powers of deduction, plusnet is adding this.

Was the word 'SPAM' added before it left the plusnet serverHuh?
N/A

It looks like the SPAM comment was added by the nhs servers when the message was received - why this happened is down to the nhs system admin, not plusnet.

Possible that the "spam" comment was added as the rejected mail was making its way back to you through the plusnet servers, but I think the first scenario is more probable.

There's most likely a rule set up on the NHS server to delete anything marked as SPAM - you'd need to take it up with the NHS, I guess?
N/A

you'd need to take it up with the NHS, I guess?

....the NHS are particularly good at IT projects y'know - good luck! Wink

I get @lostbouk's point though.

If an overzealous spam filter can mark a legit email as spam, why do PN email users have to put up with a spam filter which is can't mark the more obvious ones as spam?

Sorry if I misinterpreted your point @lostboyuk.
N/A

If an overzealous spam filter can mark a legit email as spam, why do PN email users have to put up with a spam filter which is can't mark the more obvious ones as spam?

I don't think it really matters what method they actually employ, there will always be a small group that would complain either way.

If it's a non-strict type them the "why cant this be detected??" brigade pop up, if it's very strict the "why is my mail being shown as spam" pop up, if its somewhere in the middle, you get parts of both groups popping up. You can't win Smiley

Maybe a pop-up blocker might help Cheesy
kosh2
Grafter

I work in the NHS and have no probs sending stuff to and from that address and my home one. perhaps the specific hopspital or whatever has some extra filters on it?

I have PMed original poster offering my address for testing.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Who or what marked the subject with 'spam' then? I didn't! Obviously something has added 'spam' to the subject line.

Most likely the intended recipients mail provider. Our SPAM will mark mail passing throught the mxcores only ie incoming and not outgoing email.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

@mourby

I have to agree, you can't please everybody all the time.

Perhaps the way to go is for everybody to have a webpage with a contact form to generate mail to a secret complex address, or one which only accepts mail from the form.

Multiple recepients wouldn't work too cleverly with it though.

You can't ple....... Wink
N/A

Judging from the stinky attitude that that lostboy posts under on these forums.. is it any wonder his email got marked as spam? Looks like the NHS spam filtering is working perfectly to me.. :roll:
N/A

I don't see what my attitude has to do with an email I send to nhs being marked as spam.
Yes, I have an attitude on this forum, I'm paying for a service I am not getting.
N/A

Well... as has been suggested, the chances are this is nothing to do with plusnet.

Take it up with the NHS :roll: