Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This New VMBU must be Fiddled

fraval
Grafter

Yet another day my usage has shown up as i have used 1.04GB for [mon]
1.94GB for [sun]
I dont think so,i have raised a ticket but no response,i dont think this new VMBU is accurate at all.
8 REPLIES
N/A

So far this period my usage looking at the 2 vmbu's is about right.

Although the old vmbu says i've used a gig more than the new one. But then thats not so bad Wink
N/A

FiddledHuh I hope no one is suggesting that PlusNet is deliberately bumping the VMBU readings, just to throttle overall usage on the network. I refuse to believe it. Not PlusNet. Never!

But for the record, my usage readings (in MB) to date for the current billing month:

11May 12May 13May 14May 15May
Old VMBU 54.31 30.05 29.04 10.97 29.28
New VMBU 214.78 88.85 28.29 29.38 47.79
% +295% +196% -3% +168% +63%

I'm being "Maxed" at the moment, with intermittent disconnections, so the data for the last few days is lower than usual.

The software engineers, we're told, are "working hard" on resolving this inconsistency, and no doubt it'll all be sorted soon ... nearly three weeks now, but I'm an incurable optimist!

DT
N/A

Plusnet do not use the VMBU for the traffic shaping, the ellacoyas get the raw data directly from the gateways and process it that way, if the VMBU is wrong then your traffic shaping should not be effected.

My VMBU agrees with my own data with about a 4-6% either way difference but my monitoring cannot count and failed traffic which the PN gateways will, it's still travelled over the centrals to me just not been allowed in by my router/firewall so i'd expect that.
N/A

Plusnet do not use the VMBU for the traffic shaping, the ellacoyas get the raw data directly from the gateways and process it that way, if the VMBU is wrong then your traffic shaping should not be effected.

That can't be right. My VMBU always tallies with any traffic shaping warnings I get.

If PlusNet do not use the VMBU to determine when traffic shaping is applied, then the fault (according to you) must lie with the ellacoyas. They are obviously generating unreliable figures.

My experience of the VMBU is that it is completely unreliable. How am I supposed to manage my bandwidth with such an untrustworthy tool?
N/A

Not the case. My VMBU was in error and I was throttled down to low speed for the remainder of the month (2 weeks). Although the problem was recognised, it didn't stop my account being throttled. Also, they did not remove the restriction.Then, at the start of my new billing period, normal speeds resumed, as if by magic.

I've received no apology for the incident. I suppose they expect me to have poor service for two weeks, and not complain. Well, I'm moving to Nildram shortly to an unshaped network.

I supported the principle of shaping, but to be shaped in complete error and then not have the restrictions removed is extremely annoying.
N/A

Mines is showing 0.5mb Broadband phonecalls, I wouldn't even know how to make one if I wanted to. Sad

Not that I am anywhere near my usage limit, but if that was the final straw that took me into managed connection mode then I wouldn't be that impressed.
N/A

This small amount is probably caused by "background noise" on the internet.
Check out the link above and below the VMBU graphs for more info.

EDIT:
On the new VMBU (address ends .php) the link is only below the graphs on the "View Internet Activities" page.
Link to the info page here
N/A

Thanks for the tip James!

Shockedops:

Other than that mine seems about right in that case and has proved useful in ensuring I don't go over my limit.