cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading to Premier?....DON'T!!!

N/A

Read a few posts on here now. Seems a lot are related to BB+ and you are being told that all will be fine if you move to a Premier account. You're not gonna be shocked to find out that it won't....

Here is the mail that I got recently. It was the first communication I have had from PlusNet. I thought that I had signed up for an umlimited account - that was what the website said when i signed but funnily enough, all that has disappeared now.

Seems that a premier account has a limit of 100Gb a month but you are only allowed 30Gb of that between 4pm and midnight. Not only that, but when you ask for a MAC code, you will be put on automatic shaping down to 67kbps (1.4KB/s realtime) without being told. You will only find out when you complain. Then they will treat you like a muppet before telling you that their T&C clauses allow them to do this.

Do yourselves a favour and upgrade to a proper ISP.

====================================================
Dear **** *****,

It has come to our attention that you have been heavily using your broadband service in recent months.

You have received this email for one of two reasons:

- Last month you used more than 100GB of data AND 30GB of data at peak-times. This has happened at least twice in the last three months (including last month). This amount of usage is not sustainable for your product type.

OR

- This is the third time in six months we've contacted you about unsustainable usage.*

Peak-time hours: 4pm–12am (midnight)

What's wrong with my usage?
----------------------

Broadband is a contended service. This means excessively high usage by individuals will have a negative impact on the service of other customers. Please see the Beginner's Guide to Contention for a full explanation - http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/contention_guide.shtml

To ensure we continue to provide all of our customers with high quality broadband at a great-value price, we operate a Sustainable Usage policy - http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

What happens next?
------------------

Peak-time management will be applied to your broadband service for the next 30 days.

This means data intensive usage, including peer-to-peer, USENET and SSH traffic, will be restricted to a maximum speed of 67Kbps, during peak-time hours (4pm-midnight), 7 days a week. Standard web browsing and email will not be affected.

The restriction will be lifted after 30 days.

Peak-time management can be applied twice in a six month period. Unsustainable usage at this level for a third time, will mean 24/7 management is applied indefinitely to your service with speed restrictions on ALL traffic, 24/7.

What should I do?
-----------------

You have three options:

1. Ask to have peak-time management lifted, if you are prepared to reduce your usage. Your usage will be monitored for 7 days on a pro-rata basis for your product. If it continues to be unsustainable, 24/7 management will be applied indefinitely, with no option to lift the restriction. Raise a new query in the Contact Us wizard tool and follow the Sustainable Usage Policy Enquiries link - http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets

This option is ONLY available if this is the first time you have been contacted about unsustainable usage.*

2. Upgrade to a residential broadband product that meets your needs. Peak-time management will then be lifted. Upgrade here - https://portal.plus.net/products/upgrade/cbcupgrade.html

Please note; this option is not available for customers on the Broadband Premier up to 8Mb product.**

3. Request your MAC key and move to another broadband provider - outstanding contractual notice periods will be waived on this occasion. Please note, any deferred hardware, activation or migration payments must be paid in full. To do this, raise a ticket through the Contact Us wizard - http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets

If you don't choose one of these options, peak-time management will be applied for 30 days. Please reduce your usage and schedule large downloads for off-peak hours.

You can monitor your monthly usage on the View My Usage tool in the portal Member Centre - https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/

For more information, please see the Sustainable Usage policy guide - http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind Regards,
PlusNet Customer Support
58 REPLIES
munsy
Grafter

A question to you tripitaka how long you been with plusnet and how can you use over 100Gb a month.

Hope you don,t mind me asking, I like the sound of the last option.
N/A

This means data intensive usage, including peer-to-peer, USENET and SSH traffic, will be restricted to a maximum speed of 67Kbps, during peak-time hours (4pm-midnight), 7 days a week. Standard web browsing and email will not be affected.

67 kilobits is indeed nothing at all ( 1.4kb), i didnt realise the restrictions were so draconian as to make it only one third of a slow old dial up modem
N/A

A question to you tripitaka how long you been with plusnet and how can you use over 100Gb a month.

Hope you don,t mind me asking, I like the sound of the last option.

A 1Mb line flat out will use between 9 and 10Gb per 24hrs. It's easy to see where you could exceed this. I've been with +net since the middle of July I think.

If you want to know HOW...thats a whole other question!!! But, what the hell, they haven't done me any favours...you should see my ticket file!

visit two sites:
www.newsleecher.com
www.newzbin.com

Get newsleecher, hook it up to newzbin and away you go - a maxed out connection. It's an easy exit for anyone looking to get off this shoddy ISP.

Personally, I thought they were OK until a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, I have a large group of influential users that come to me for advice and I have already put the block on a corporate plan to hook up 30 home users through +Net. Just shopping for a new ISP for them - I think that ZEN is looking good.

I think I might rest when I have cost them, say, 100 user accounts? :twisted:
N/A

I thought that unlimited broadband means that I can use it without limits.
That I can download 100GB or 500GB - because it's unlimited!!!!
N/A

I thought that unlimited broadband means that I can use it without limits.
That I can download 100GB or 500GB - because it's unlimited!!!!

Yeah, so did I. However,Link:CUAremoved(below) seems to think otherwise. This is from my extensive trouble ticket queue:

Actioned : Dear Mr *****,
The broadband premier product is not, and has never been sold as unlimited. If you can provide evidence that suggests it has we would need to see it before we can take this further. If the usage is not modified to fit the SUP, profiling will remain, and you will most likely end up being profiled 24/7. If you cannot keep within the 100gb a month limit you would need to upgrade to a higher usage premier account.

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Do not post the names of CSA's. It is against the rules]
N/A

I would love that.....I am lucky if I can 10k/s now.......
N/A

Does this mean that if I upgrade and severly hammer my connection I can get out ?

I've only been with Link:censored net since june 2005.

John

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Avoidance of swear filter removed.
N/A

I wouldn't mind, but I thought Freenetname were crap coz they objected to 200Gb a month! At least they didn't have restrictive caps.

Funny how lots of people thought they had bought unlimited broadband with a premier account. I wonder where we all got that idea?
N/A

Maybe it wasn't sold as unlimited, but neither was it sold as limited. Was this 100GB thing mentioned during signup? I think not.
LiamM
Grafter

No, but the Acceptable Usage Policy is.... you agree to it in the terms and conditions - and that includes the SUP.
N/A

yep i remember signing up in may because it was unlimited... why do i get the impression theres a (yet another hidden) fair usage policy somewhere.

tbh im aware companies can change thier tos at will, but i dont think ive ever seen it done this drastically, the pn management have basically done ALL of thier numbers wrong, made a whole mess of the bandwith they bought and customers they got, and have had to go to the drastic length of completely changing our contracts.
N/A

martinfamily, where's this 100GB thing mentioned though in the T&C, SUP, AUP or whatever legal library they've written now?
LiamM
Grafter

According to the Terms and Conditions they can restrict you however they like. They haven't done anything wrong in terms of supplying the product in the raw terms and conditions context.
N/A

Please could you quote the passage from the T&C which says they can "restrict you however they like"?