cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about upgrading to Broadband - help!

N/A

Dear all,
Because I am fed up with dialup speeds, I am thinking of upgrading to broadband (The broadband plus package). I've read all the pages inside out, but I want to make sure I haven't missed anything before ordering... so..

1) The equipment and set up 'free' deal - how long approximately would I have to stay with Plusnet before I could cancel for free?

2) Setup - is setup free? And does it mean someone will come over and install the equipment for me? What sort of timeslots are given? Are there any hidden costs for eg, upgrading the phone line??

3) Are there any other 'catches' I need to be aware of? Any hidden print?

4) Is there a downloading limit? How can we monitor that, and is it the same(?) as a time limit? (sorry, am pretty clueless with the internet!)

I think that is it for now, but I would really really REALLY appreciate a reply for this.

Very many thanks
Ally Deacon
10 REPLIES
N/A

I think the equipment is gradually written off over a period of 5 years.

Set-up is free, but you do install it yourself, trust me I'm no IT nerd and it is very easy.

There are no hidden costs providing you have a standard telephone line.

There is sort of a download limit but this only really kicks in if you're downloading loads - around 15gb I think, it doesn't stop you from downloading after that but I think it slows your connection down. Theres no time limits and there is a usage monitor on the plus net website you where you can view your usage.

I'm no expert but I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Thx
N/A

Entering the world of BB

Dear Ally,

I think thebrocklesbys has answered most of the questions quite well. What I wil add will be to the following of your questions:

3) Are there any other 'catches' I need to be aware of? Any hidden print?

There are penalties or fees you have to pay if you leave within a certain period of time, these should be explained in your contract.

4) Is there a downloading limit? How can we monitor that, and is it the same(?) as a time limit? (sorry, am pretty clueless with the internet!)

If you use P2P e.g. Kazaa or Newgroups etc. your downloading may be reduced as BB+ is not really intended for downloaders and yes 15GB limit a month is imposed using the above.

You will be disconnected like dialup, if you are not using it i.e. if you are "idle". This just means you have to press the connect button to get back on.

Hope that helps (if you need further explanation feel free to ask)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Thought a quick clarification is needed.
Basically the download limits only affect the Premier package. With BB+ there are no limits. However P2P and Usenet will be very slow as compared to Premier or PAYG.
If you are a light user - and coming from dialup you have got to be I would suggest starting on PAYG which will give you the best speeds for P2P or usenet if you get into it.
If you then want to change to BB+ or Premier you can at no cost.
I am on PAYG because I am a low user - up to 3 or 4GB per month usually - and I am staying on this package as it is cheaper than Premier and when my children are home they can use it for their rubbish P2P downloads - used to be episodes of Friends (ugh!!).
Edit -Just seen the post above, the 15GB limit is only on Usenet and after that it goes slow but I suspect with BB+ its going to be slow anyway so you probably wouldn't notice the difference
N/A

Hello Ally. We were on dialup until August. We're now on Broadband Plus.

If you want to use your broadband for web browsing and email, downloading Windows updates or program updates then Broadband Plus is fine, though Pay As You Go would be fine if you can stick to the included Gigabyte of usage. If you have children that want to be able to do homework etc. then BB+ is fine. If you want to download torrents of Lost from the USA then BB+ is NOT fine! Look for another Internet Service Provider (ISP). If you aren't familiar with torrents (other than water), then don't worry! And if you don't know what Usenet is then you don't need it, unless you really do want to download Lost etc. Sweeping generalisation I know, dear readers, but not everyone cares about these things.

Your point 1 suggests you realise you might want to cancel if you're not happy or if it's costing too much?. There really is no such thing as a free lunch! Think carefully whether there is such a thing as "free connection" and "free modem". If you pay up front for both, then you're not facing high costs if you decide it's all too expensive after all.

If you want a BT engineer to come and install your broadband connection for you then you'll have to pay handsomely for it, and it may have an effect on your contract.

I don't think anyone can cancel for free! There is at least an administration charge of £11.75 according to the terms and conditions for my date of signing up. Oddly I see no similar link to administrative charges for current signups.

You can see how much you've downloaded each day and each month by looking at My Account, Connection Settings, View My Usage in the member centre. We use about a gigabyte a month. We don't use it every day, but when we do use it it's for a couple of hours.

HTH (hope this helps)
N/A

Hi guys,
Thanks so much for the replies Smiley
I think I am going to go for BB+, as Ske1f states, I know nothing about p2p or usenet, and am not intending to download programmes, just software upgrades and playing neopets!
Another question.... I currently have one phone point downstairs and an extension cable trailing upstairs for my dialup. Can anyone forsee any probs with the BB by having it connected in this way? Or should I have a second phone point installed (any ideas how much that would cost?)
Also, a little tecchie question, what type of socket is it that you can plug both the internet and phone lines into? I don't really want to keep swapping them like I do now! Any links to pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks again, I feel a little more confident now!
Ally Smiley
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

You should be okay to continue using the extension cable that you have in place now. However, depending on the quality of both that cable and your phone extension, you might have some problems, but that's something that you can look into if they do develop.

As for the connection type, you'd need an ADSL microfilter, which will allow you to connect both the modem/router and a telephone into the same socket at once. You'd need these anyway as part of the standard ADSL setup within your property.
N/A

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the reply Smiley
When you say depending on the quality of the cable - can you suggest a good quality cable? Just in case? And how would I know that there were problems?
Can someone also please suggest a good ASDL microfilter? (Am assuming it doesn't come with the hardware) Read conflicting reports on the BT one...
Thanks
Ally
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

If its just a standard phone extension, as most people use for their dialup connections, it might not be the best quality, so you might have problems maintaining synch with the exchange. You can get some slightly better quality ones, listed as ADSL extensions. Though I personally have no experience of them.

As for filters, if you get hardware from ourselves we do send out a pair of filters, though they're the standard BT ones.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I used an internet modem cable such as this link with the filter next to the incoming point but if you need a long length then it may be better considering using a two port router located next to your master socket and tthen use a CAT5E patch cable to your computer network card.
Alecto
Grafter

Hi Ally

Normally your broadband connection will either work or it won't.
If it does, then look no further, if it doesn't, then you'll need to start finding out what the problem is. But most tend to work and I'd assume that it will until you know better.
Filters are an area where you can save a few pence and give yourself many problems. I use these which are some of the best. If you get others, make sure they look like this with a cable in the middle as the one-piece ones are usually poor. You will need one microfilter for every phone socket that has something plugged into it, including Sky.