cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think Twice Before Upgrading Your ADSL

N/A

Just before you jump to the idea of upgrading your line like I did last week be prepared for it to go wrong and then be left in the dark. I've been 5 days without broadband now thanks to plusnet. (They are blaming BT though!!) I tried to upgrade from 512 to 2mb my exchange can take it I live 100metres away however since the swap over to 2mb Ive never been able to connect since and keep getting fobbed off with 'We'll keep you posted its BT's fault......' Be carefull I met all the criteria for the upgrade and wish Id kept to the trusty 512! Pass the message around its really not as easy and straight forward as they say. :x

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Cross-postings removed as these only serve to cause confusion - users have access to all forums and doing this merely splits replies]
10 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

For most people though, it is as straight-forward as they say though - the actual upgrade of my line happened with no pain.
N/A

I do think you are being unfiar on PlusNet.

PlusNet do not control how your cables are connected at the exchange, BT do. PlusNet have no control over your connection, until it reaches there pemesis in London.

BT control the rest fo the connection, from your cables, the exchange equipment, right through to transporting your data accross the contry.

Unfortinatly, this does leave the people in the sticky position, that they must contact PlusNet and wait whilst the situation is dealt with by BT.

The good news is, that plusNet will cmpensate your downtime once your are back up and running.
N/A

I upgraded to 2mb and have had frequent disconnections probably due to the fact that I have to use an extension rather than connect directly to the BT master socket. PLusnet now tell me that I have to connect to the master socket, but nowhere can I find that mentioned in the t &cs for upgrade. Plusnet have offered to put me back on 512k for a fee of £30. I am trying to persuade them in the interests of customer relations to waive that fee. So anybody else thinking of upgrading, beware of the pitfalls.
csogilvie
Grafter

I would imagine you have to connect to the Master Socket to prove wether its your Extension causing the disconnects or the phone line - if it still happens in the phone line, then I would imagine it could be investiagted by BT.
N/A

rooster63.

PlusNet will only weiver this fee, if the line is tested, and deemed to have not been capable of the 2Mb service in the first place.

If it is capable, then it is down to internal extention wireing, filters, connection equipment, and other equipment attached within your premesis.
N/A

But when 512k worked I didn't think upgrading would be a problem until it was too late. Its a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted now telling me that extensions etc can cause problems and it is best to connect direct to the master socket.
N/A

Also experiencing problems since upgrade.

We recently upgraded from 512 to 1MB ADSL Broadband Home service with PlusNet.

We have lost service for the past 24 hours now, and PlusNet seem to be trying to lay the blame on BT when BT say that there are no problems at their end and the problem is definitely with PlusNet. One BT engineer I spoke to seem to even be aware of other problems with PLusNet.

I am very unhappy that I have lost my connection, but even more unhappy about the manner in which PlusNet are dealing with this problem - very reluctant to do anything in the first place and then very slow to get things moving.

I have been told by PlusNet several times that I was the ONLY person experiencing these problems. It is clear from looking at the Forums that THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

Regards, Carlo
N/A

I am having the same problem!!!

And PlusNet keep telling me it's BT's fault, but BT have run checks and tell me it's definitely PLusNet's fault.

Of course, we're left caught in the middle, without an ADSL connection - but PlusNet don't seem to care too much, as they have already been paid.

Very unhappy, Carlo Borsattino
Community Veteran

borsattino, your problems are probably different to those experienced by the other posters in these forums and therefore unrelated.

Chris
N/A

Thjose that are having problems, please conduct the BT speed test. You can find details of this in the Tutorials & FAQ forum.