cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's always one

N/A

There's always one

It's getting close to my year of DSL coming to a close. (Sept I think, must check with plusnet support)

Prices are dropping.

My connection is now stating to "feel" slow.

I have the free install home DSL product.

Can I cancel it after 12 months, and get a differant type of connection?

I believe you guys offer a lower contention ratio product, as well as faster speed connections.

Are both of these just a matter of clicking on a few links, and waiting? or will i need to pay a new setup fee?

Can i keep the fish or will i have to buy a new adapter?

In your opinion what package represents a significant upgrade at a reasonable value for money?

I've asked this on the forum, because i feel other speed demons might value the info.

Will the G/F leave me if i get a 2mb connection?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: There's always one

Hi Alan,

>My connection is now stating to "feel" slow.

If ONLY I could get even the minimal ADSL connection - still in the days of dial-up I'm afraid and getting greener by the day with envy!!

>I have the free install home DSL product. Can I cancel it after 12 months, and get a different type of connection?

Indeed you can but as I understand it, you will be required to cancel your existing product and apply for the new service of your choice. In doing this you will be required to pay a new installation fee as though taking out a new account. Before I say this for definite however, allow me to make enquiries and come back to you later this morning.

>I believe you guys offer a lower contention ratio product, as well as faster speed connections.

True, our business ADSL products offer a lower contention of 20:1 as opposed to 50:1 for the home accounts. You can find more info on this at http://portal.plus.net/info2/compare/compare_business_adsl.html

>Can i keep the fish or will i have to buy a new adapter?

As I understand it, this depends on the product (whether it is ethernet / USB) ... perhaps somebody could add to this and clarify further ...

>In your opinion what package represents a significant upgrade at a reasonable value for money?

It's difficult to answer this without knowing exactly what your application is for the product. It depends very much on what use you intend to put it to but again, a perusal of our portal should help you in choosing the product for your requirements.

>Will the G/F leave me if i get a 2mb connection?

lol - Most probably ... you have to weigh up if it is worth the risk though ... I'm thinking yes!!

Best Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

Hi,
Makr asked me to follow up on this.

> >I have the free install home DSL product. Can I cancel it after 12 months, and get a different type of connection?
>
> Indeed you can but as I understand it, you will be required to cancel your existing product and apply for the new service of your choice. In doing this you will be required to pay a new installation fee as though taking out a new account. Before I say this for definite however, allow me to make enquiries and come back to you later this morning.

Yes this is correct. If you move from the ADSL Home BT Installed product to either an ADSL Self Install or ADSL Business (router version), BT will come out and remove your current equipment. Once you choose your new acocunt type you will need to pay the new activation fee / installation fee.

Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
oliverb
Grafter

Wish they'd try to simplify things a bit...

Wouldn't it be easier if you could have the option to buy the hardware instead of having to return it/have it removed, then maybe you'd be able to sign up for a 'self install' package 'installing' the hardware that you already have.

Do you think any of the returned hardware ever gets reused?
N/A

BT don't give this option, but there are some great products out there, and maybe something will beat the old fish?

>
> Do you think any of the returned hardware ever gets reused?
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi,

BT are currently working on a new system to allow for easy changes of ISP, and connection types. I think we may know more by the beginning of April.

With what you want to do, because BT would have to complete work at the exchange (changing you from 50:1 to 20:1 at a higher speed) there would definately be a new install charge for this (£50+VAT).

I have heard a number of cases where BT have let customers keep the fish, but I didn't say that ;-). I believe the fish can run (swin?) at much faster speeds, although I guess the USB bus speed could be a limiting factor.

Best Wishes,

Ian