cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The spam problem - precautionary measures?

br1anstorm
Grafter

Discussion in the long threads (now up to Part 3) about dodgy spam are becoming complex - largely because people are understandably (a) joining in the efforts to investigate and speculate; (b) venting their anger; and (c) asking, or worrying, about damage limitation.

It would be really useful to have a thread - here? - focused specifically on what users can and should do immediately to protect their systems, reduce or redirect the flow of spam. Specific questions and practical advice and guidance only - leaving the speculation, investigation and recrimination for elsewhere.

There's already a good thread on these lines on the Thinkbroadband site here(see posts by rsharma and hOtblack especially)
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=3001934&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5...

So anyone with specific questions, or advice, please post. If Plusnet aren't yet offering systematic guidance on immediate action we can take, then help from expert users would be appreciated...
9 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

The email which went out to customers possibly affected by the trojan issue contained all the necessary steps to take to resolve the issue.

We will be emailing the rest of the customer base to advise of the wider affecting SPAM issue, and are looking at the things we can do to mitigate the consequences for customers.

In the interim I would suggest that if you don't use the catchall email address you blackhole it, as that will reduce the amount of SPAM you receive in any case.

You could also setup your mail client to move messages marked as SPAM to the trash/junk mail folder, or consider using a program like mailwasher to further reduce the amount of incoming SPAM.
br1anstorm
Grafter

redirecting/blackholing spam

I'm going to start the ball rolling on my own thread with a query about blackholing.

In the TBB site forum, Dave Tomlinson of PN suggests various steps, including

If the spam is going to a specific address that you don't use then you can use the Manage My Mail tool on the portal to create a redirect for that address and send it to the blackhole address blackhole@abuse.plus.com [endquote]

Spam is coming to my <username>@<username>.plus.com mailbox. I do not use this address/mailbox for any emails in or out. But it seems to exist as my default mailbox. Any mail addressed specifically to it is by definition spam. I have just tried - using the My Account>Manage My Mail tools on the portal - to redirect all mail (ie spam) sent to this mailbox to blackhole@abuse.plus.com. But the system won't let me do this.

So how do I do what Dave T suggests?
Community Veteran

There is also a similar thread here, in which another member of staff has offered some advice.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

In this case what I would suggest doing is creating a seperate mailbox, e.g. postmaster and assigning any aliases you use or the catch all address to that mailbox and use that rather than the default address.
N/A

Yeh, same problem here Evil . Just ditched all sub inboxes and left the postmaster as the primary account on the system Cool . But just recieving spam Evil from the old email boxes to the post master account, but never used these email addressses for a very long time.

I have incredimail as a spam filter to detect these emails Cool Yeh paid register spam services to detect these emails each year. Cool
N/A

I don't understand how come I've started to get spam on my postmaster email address and I hardly use that account. I use outlook and I don't know how to get it to filter spam.
It's only started to happen quite recently maybe in the last couple of weeks.

How do I stop it?
br1anstorm
Grafter

Hi there,

The email which went out to customers possibly affected by the trojan issue contained all the necessary steps to take to resolve the issue.

We will be emailing the rest of the customer base to advise of the wider affecting SPAM issue, and are looking at the things we can do to mitigate the consequences for customers.

In the interim I would suggest that if you don't use the catchall email address you blackhole it, as that will reduce the amount of SPAM you receive in any case.

You could also setup your mail client to move messages marked as SPAM to the trash/junk mail folder, or consider using a program like mailwasher to further reduce the amount of incoming SPAM.

Thanks, Mand, for such a quick reply - even partly preempted the particular question I went on to post. Three points:

i) I've seen the advice re possible trojan infection. Comment: I think, and hope, I'm not one of those affected (I have never used/logged on to PN webmail, and certainly not around the dates mentioned);

ii) you "are looking at" things to do, and "will be emailing" advice. Good. But a week is a long time in politics, and 24 hours is a long time when it comes to IT viruses, hacks, Spam etc. This spam problem has been current for how many days now? Users really need rapid advice on immediate, interim steps - like blackholing, redirecting etc, where I've already, see separate post, run into difficulty. Request: step-by-step guidance, please, on how to blackhole the default address.

iii) you sensibly suggest setting up mail client to move messages marked as SPAM to a junk mail folder. Yes, but... the messages I'm getting aren't marked as SPAM. I discovered, once this crisis hit, that the PN spam filter on my account was off (even though I'd understood it was enabled by default and had certainly never disabled it). And one forum post suggested that the radio buttons on the portal for activating the filter didn't work so one had to raise a ticket to get the filter working. Question: is this true? and how quickly can the filter be turned on?
N/A

You can also try SpamTerrier - 100% FREE; similar to mailwasher.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/spam-terrier/index.php

Best advice I can give is, install Magic Mail Monitor / mailmoa etc, check whats in your mailbox before downloading it too outlook / outlook express / thunderbird etc
Community Veteran

Locking this in favour of the thread mentioned by Thomas.

Roll on community site and thread merging :roll: