cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The smarter way to broadband...

N/A

Plusnet rocks, here's why...

Please can you let me know the process for leaving Plusnet. The reason for cancelling are:

1) Plusnet has knowingly and consistently reduced the speed of my internet connection and provided no suitable remedy or any form of useful help.

2) Plusnet's terms and conditions are essentially variable and this can give plusnet the right to do practically anything to their customer's service.

3) Plusnet stopped providing the high level of service they once offered and now simply take my money for a service which they no longer offer.

This is technically theft. I am incredibly dissapointed with this service - all Plusnet had to do was to stop throttling my connection and I would have gladly signed up for another 5 years.

When I first joined Plusnet I was about to sign the company I work for for a large business package. Thankfully I have learned that Plusnet is not professional enough to cater for our business let alone it's residential customers and we have had to look elsewhere.

My only problem now is that I will have to endure this consistently dire service for the remaining months of my contract. While doing so I will do my best to make sure that potential broadband customers know what the service is really like. I think the noble thing to do on Plusnet's part is to end my contract early.
XXXXXXXX CSC Agent 9:51am, Thursday 18th May 2006

Dear XXXXXX,
Your first year contract ends on 11/12/06. At that time, you can raise a new Question requesting cancellation of your account.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 11:43am, Wednesday 24th May 2006

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX

I asked "Please can you let me know the process for leaving Plusnet."

I have domain names and hosting with plusnet which I will transfer when I move. I would like to know the details of moving these. Also I would like to know how the emails will be transferred.

As I write this email, my connection is still at 900kbit/s, roughly half of what it was when I joined, since being "upgraded" to the "up to 8MB account".

If I do not recieve adequate help and support for this issue within the next fortnight, I will be forced to cancel my direct debit payments.

Let me make this quite clear: I do not see myself paying for a premium service which is nowhere near premium quality .

I am prepared to give two more weeks for Plusnet to correct this issue before I cancel my direct debit. Feel free to give me a call on xxxxxxxxxxxxx to discuss.

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxx CSC Agent 11:49am, Wednesday 24th May 2006

Your line is not MAX enabled. You have a 1meg line so the speed that you show is correct for the speed that your line is enabled at.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

I think this is really great, true devotion to reading and responding to the questions I have asked. Real initiative and problem solving capability.
I was told I was upgraded to 8MB a couple of months ago btw.

But wait it gets better:

Dear XXXX,

Thanks for the rapid email. I was informed that my account was upgraded a few months ago, and as you have stated, this is clearly not the case. I was on 1.4Mbits when I first joined Plusnet.

My original question has not been answered and no remedy has been suggested by your support team, once again.

As is stated earlier, i'm cancelling my direct debit in two weeks time, unless this situation is resolved.

Thanks

XXXXX

PS This is my last polite email.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,
I am sorry that you wish to leave us.

Allow me to clarify the points made by previsous colleagues.

You are currenlty in an annual contract until April 2007, as such if you decide you need to cancel before this time we would need to take payment for the remaining months' subscriptions.

We are willing to investigate any potential speed issue that you have, however you are currently on a 1Mb line, and as such a minimum speed BT will see as acceptable is 200Kb, if your speed is above this then BT will not accept a speed fault.

We were in the process of upgrading all of our customers to the 8Mb service, or the fastest their line could support up to this speed, however this is taking some time, as we are upgrading our entire custoer base, starting with the oldest custoemrs. Unfortunatley, BT have withdrawn our method for upgrading these people for a minimum of 2 weeks while they fix software flaws. For this reason, until we get this tool back, we are unable to increase anyones line speeds.

If you would like us to investigate a speed issue on your line, we woule need you to complete 3 BT Speed tests as detailed here: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27 and we can see what is happening from there.

Please note that canceling your direct debit is not a way to cancel the accout, and if you do this you run the risk of the outstanding amount being passed to a 3rd party debt recovery agency, which may result in legal action and may affect your credit rating.

Regards,

XXXXXX

My contract seems to be extending in length by the hour, Plusnet can warp time itself!

Plusnet is definitely is the smarter way to broadband.
35 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Well, its true that we do have the power to change time, but we only use it for good.... Well, okay, for good and to get free takeaway when we're working lates. Cheesy

I've had a word with the last agent who responded to your ticket, as he's clearly broken one of the prime rules of time manipulation and revealed it to you. I think Mand's also going to take him out back for another quiet chat.

As for your ticket, I've added a further response on there for you to explain things a little further.
N/A

I havent seen much good from plusnet to tell you the truth. You seem like a knowledgable and helpful person, unlike some of the staff I have been in communication with over the last 5 months.

Basically I want nothing more in the world than to leave plusnet. Why do I want this?

Well basically, you know the story from the emails. Put it this way, if your milkman/lady showed up once a month you would stop using his/her services right?

Same thing, business is business. Plusnet offers a service, I pay for it. Plusnet stops provding the service, I stop paying for it.

However in this case i'm being pressured by having a 3rd party debt collecting service on my tail!

How about if I move to a location that doesnt have DSL? will that reduce my leaving fee? I'm prepared to pay up to £80 to leave, right now.
N/A

As long as you pay all of your subscription fees up to the end of your contact, there should be no reason that you can't leave within a few days of the payment clearing - not sure that that would come in at less than £80 though.. even if you only pay 15/mth, if you have 6 payments left to go it still comes to £90.
Sad
N/A

Not entirely sure why I should have to pay for my remaining months when Plusnet is not providing the service for those months (let alone the existing months)
N/A

I wrote this message to PN today

Dear XXXXXXXX,

I was not given prior notice that my account had been upgraded to the up to 8MB Package. It was instantaneous - I recieved an email as the account was upgraded. Thus I was not entitled to cancel the agreement between the "notice of the changes and the time the changes take place"

Please read this following paragraph carefully:

23. Ending this Agreement

23.1 This Agreement can be ended by:

23.4 If you give us notice that falls before the end of your current Agreement period because we have increased our Charges or materially changed the Conditions of this Agreement to your detriment, you may cancel in the period of time between the notice of the changes and the time the changes take place.

Also, you are able to end the agreement if I move to a location where I cannot recieve your "service".

20. Breach of Contract

20.1 We can suspend the Service in whole or in part, or end this Agreement (or both) at any time:

20.1.6 with immediate effect where the Service cannot be provided to the Premises requested by the Customer.

XXXXXXXXXXX CSC Agent 9:55am, Friday 26th May 2006

And got this reply...

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

The upgrade was part of a marketing change, and we were quite within our rights to change the name of the product. Please be advised that the featues are exactly the same, except you are able to get a higher speed.

Also, until we recieve the remainder of the annual contract, the account will not be closed; and if the account payments lapse, the case may be referred to a third party debt recovery agency.

Please advise on how you wish to proceed.
Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX

Who needs internet hardware, effort , dedication to service, when you've got marketing and greed...?
N/A

What conditions did they change?
N/A

The changed my account to an up to 8MB teleworker. That's a change in the agreement.
N/A

But surely all they did was change the name, and include a potential increase in speed, to use the argument cited above in the quote from the T's and C's you would have to demonstrate that these changes were of detriment to you.

Did they change anything which can be demonstrated to be of a detriment to you?
N/A

Actually, for any change in the agreement, you are entitled to leave the agreement between the time you are notified and the change itself.
N/A

Yes, but what it says, is
23.4 If you give us notice that falls before the end of your current Agreement period because we have increased our Charges or materially changed the Conditions of this Agreement to your detriment, you may cancel in the period of time between the notice of the changes and the time the changes take place.

Making it faster is difficult to demonstrate as being to your detriment, and changing the name is also tricky so see affecting you in some negative way.
Which is why I asked what they have done to make your contract represent less value for money? Because that looks like the only way you'll get out of it. :?
N/A

My speed dropped from 1.4Mbits to 900Kbits

That's detriment.
N/A

If thats a detriment caused by MAXDSL then it is actively being worked on by BT at the minute.

The current Max problems and issues are well documented. If Plus Net walked away and said tough luck old son then there would be a major problem, but whilst they and other ISP's are actively working with BT to resolve the problem, which lets face it, is not of the ISP's doing, then all we as customers can do is sit and expect that this is resolved in a reasonable time.

We then move into the area of what is reasonable and thats where it gets difficult to define and even harder to litigate against.
N/A

But PN haven't changed anything to make that happen though have they?

If they haven't increased their charges, and they haven't changed the terms of the agreement, I suspect that you cannot apply clause 23.4 of your contract to this situation.
N/A

1) I'm not on maxdsl.

2) Something happened to make my speed drop at the same time as being notified about the change of account. Plusnet did this.