cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The sending of files speed.

N/A

i am currently using a simple prog to send and receive files to 1 person in the usa.. the program is called Socketoome and has always given the full upload speed for both ways of around 45k/s.. now its reduced right now and for some time to 7k/s the idea of getting maxdsl or any dsl was to get higher upload speed...so plusnet is this temporary or permanent if the latter i need to go look for an isp that can deliver an internet service..
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That sounds like a P2P program. What account type are you on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
N/A

premier.. 21.99

1 to 1 sending./receiving...

how else are you supposed to send larger files back and forth.... ? with 1 person..
using the internet.
Community Veteran

I'm not criticising your choice - without knowing the program it's probably the most efficient way to do the transfer. If the Ellacoya signatures are picking it up it will be classed as a P2P program, so all the posts you see in this forum about the speeds of P2P are pertinent.

You may find that if you disconnect/reconnect until you are on a different gateway the speed may get better - but there again it may get worse.

You can find your current gateway from http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

That sounds like a P2P program. What account type are you on?

That really shouldn't matter. This is supposed to be broadband - Not dialup.

You don't expect to be given dialup speeds on a broadband connection. Even if it is P2P, we are all allocated a monthly transfer to use as we wish.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Of course it matters. If he were on Broadband Plus he should have no expectation of speed at peak times. The description of the product has always said:
Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Of course it matters. If he were on Broadband Plus he should have no expectation of speed at peak times. The description of the product has always said:
Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads.

Well then thats rather strange and also a contradictory explanation of BBPlus. I'm on BBPlus and I can download 600MB .iso images via http with no problem (Peak or off peak). Anything else though such as P2P, ftp, smtp is troublesome.

Besides, this is broadband. It should NOT be slower than dialup and you know that full well. Stop making excuses for plusnet. Do you call 300 BYTES per second (thats 1/10th of dialup speed @ 3k) acceptable? - Really?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The idea is that http is generally where you are sat in front of the screen waiting for responses, so yes I would expect BB+ to get reasonable speeds for that. If you look at all the information on this page you may understand better.

At peak times using BB+ you should have no expectations of being able to use P2P, anything you do manage is a bonus.

If P2P matters you should be on Premier or PAYG.