Gaming 424.6KB 17.08MB 17.5MB
Streaming 49.14KB 430.76KB 479.9KB
PlusNet FTP 0KB 0KB 0KB
Peer-to-peer 3.04MB 329.86MB 332.89MB
Usenet 0.54KB 13.59KB 14.13KB
FTP (non PlusNet) 0KB 8.21MB 8.21MB
Other 35.23MB 1.58GB 1.62GB
Total usage so far 140.45MB 2.04GB 2.18GB

Don't and never have played online games, Not used FTP (Non PlusNet) Broadband phone calls Not used still not got my free mins Other seems to be going up in leaps and bounds, Streaming not used Usenet not used
Total usage seems I use my connection more when I'm asleep and at work than when I'm sat at my PC ........... :shock:
24 REPLIES
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

The new VMBU tells lies....

I had this problem mate and i raised a ticket and was told that it depends on the type of packet coming to your connection and the system reads some as calling ones when you have just been surfing the net
JonathanW
Grafter

Whilst the figures there are a little difficult to read, the usage for the protocols you don't normally use seems to be reasonable.

It does depend on the application that you are using, as its possible that it is being flagged up as a different type of traffic to what it actually is. We saw something along these lines with the World of Warcraft issues last year, where part of it was identified as P2P.

The same applies for background noise in general on the internet, this is passed back to your router/modem and the VMBU logs it under whatever traffic type that it falls into. This is why you'll see a few hundred K on a couple of types that you don't use, where packets are passed to your router and then dropped.
N/A

A few hundred K?

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41589

I'm showing alot of MB on protocols I do not use.

Gaming nearly - 50MB
Usenet - 10MB

thats not just a few hundred K.

If the VMBU can't pinpoint what each protocol is using exactly, surely the thing is pointless?
N/A

I have 17.5MB for gaming I don't game
Other has a whopping 1.62GB

Makes me wonder how well these Elly (whatever there called) work and are they slowing down traffic there not supposed to?Huh
LiamM
Grafter

Other has a whopping 1.62GB

Out of interest, do you encrypt your P2P?
N/A

Err whatHuh
N/A

P2P - 13.7MB - 1.34GB - 1.35GB

Other - 41.39MB - 1.2GB - 1.24GB

No encryption, and P2P is still higher than it should be.

I don't have a wireless router so it can't be that what makes the "other" so high.
N/A

if its not working properly then should we be being billed/measured by it?
JonathanW
Grafter

Other is anything that doesn't get picked up as the other protocol types. So it could be any number of different things, depending on what you as an individual are doing with your connection.

As for P2P being higher than you expect, the key things to remember here are the overheads, things that don't always get displayed in your software, and the fact that when you go offline it takes most other nodes in the network a while to realise this, so they continue to pass data to your connection.
N/A

and the gaming usage me and others that don't play games are seeingHuh

Looking at usage from other months my usage with the new VMBU looks about right but what I'm doing and what the VMBU is saying I'm doing differ some what : :?
N/A

I have 8 1/2 MB listed for gaming. I also never touch games.
Also 35MB of p2p without running any (all my p2p is done from a server, not here).

The only things I've had running since the cycle restarted are ssh, sftp, emails, web, ftp and streaming radio.

The figures for streaming are looking a little low.
N/A

Thats understandable Jon cheers, but what isn't is the amount of "other" data that I have used and seemingly paultracey.

Everything I use my connection for like emailing, viewing web sites, uploading to the plus.net space and downloading the odd thing on bit torrent, is covered under Web, Email, FTP, P2P I don't use my connection for anything else so what things could other come under?
N/A

Well since my account got put on the new VMU tool on the 19th the tool has proved useless... on the 20th the data for the 19th cleared (okay fair enough my useage was reset at 20:00 on the 19th), looking this morning the data for the 20th has gone as well, and I know the net was used alot last night...
N/A

It is fairly "inaccurate".

I know for a fact that on wednesday i discovered i could download something that i didn't know i could before and did so. I did this at about 7.30 at night and it was at least a download of about 400Mb, however the VMU for that day says i did no more than 78Mb on that night.

Whicn means that either its inaccurate data, or that the data is not being placed in the correct time-frame. As for the "may not include the last 2 hours" part, up until 10.50 last night I apparently had zero usage for peak time, so it didnt include the last 7 hours of useage!

Also noticed that off-peak time will jump up over a day or two as well. Bandwidth on wednesdays off-peak will suddenly "increase" on thursday or even friday.

S'very confusin'.