cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new 30gig off peak limit.....

N/A

I play Counter Strike source, and as a test, I decided to see how much b/width it used. In 2 hours of play, with only CSS and MSN running, I made 400mb of bandwidth use.

The amount I play, peak time, I'd use the 30gb with just gaming and internet radio.

Funiily enough I dont play much after midnight...
14 REPLIES
andy020
Grafter

My two sons play online games alot when they come home from school about they may just go over the 30gig peak limit does it really matter if they usage goes to 31gig or 32gig every month?

[Edited]
Community Veteran

the 30GB is during peak time (4pm to midnight) unless that is what you actually meant.

The 30GB peak usage is likely to be enforced very strictly so doing 31 or 32GB will cause the warning to be issued. Full details can be found here. See the section below the main tables for when your speed could be limited.
andy020
Grafter

well i cant leave PN yet because i sign the yearly contract i wouldnt really want to leave its jus the peak times limit is just dosent fit my needs..
N/A

It's 30Gb peak = 4pm-12am

Online gaming doesn't use much bandwidth, so you shouldn't need to worry but check out the limits in the link posted and compare that with the amount you use in "View my Usage" (My Account->Connection Settings )
channel
Grafter

Andrew - 30Gig is a lot; you might have nothing to worry about. In the short term, you will just get a warning email if you do go over the limit. If it happens a couple of times, you will get throttled but then you can also exit your annual contract (by special concession from our friends at PN.)

Do you use over 30Gig a month at the moment (ie: have you checked your VMU reading?)
Community Veteran

well i cant leave PN yet because i sign the yearly contract i wouldnt really want to leave its jus the peak times limit is just dosent fit my needs..

You could upgrade to 4MB for £8 more you get 50% more GB's
andy020
Grafter

well my usage is around 30.30 gig a month thats with the 100gig usage included.... Also our exchange recently got put up for broadband so we cannot get 4meg Cheesy until they upgrade it
LiamM
Grafter

Even if everyone in my house played online games between 4pm - midnight every single night, i don't reckon I'd even get to 15Gb/month.
N/A

if they did liam, they would be made to walk the plank

ahhh haarrrr
N/A

Depends entirely upon what games you're playing.
Some can be much bigger bandwidth hogs than others.
andy020
Grafter

Well the games they play are Call of duty Enemy terrotory and a game called GUNZ online
N/A

Any idea how many maps, skins etc you downloaded in that time? I'm guessing that's where most of it's been used.
N/A

No server-side downloads whatsoever. Merely game time.

(and the pings weren't even good Cheesy)
N/A

metronet have a adsl usage calculator that is useful if you want to get an estimate on your usage

http://metronet.co.uk/adsl/adsl-calc

Its basic, but good for people who don't have a feel for there usage.