cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The misery that is the Sky TV Phone line connection.

N/A

Recentley i got the old "Phone line disonnected letter from sky" So i plugged it in, its not been plugged in for a while now and its has never been right.

At about the same time my internet became painfully slow,at the time i didnt put two and two together. But when i came home today the phone wasnt working, tried every kind of combination, turns out it is when the sky box is connected it goes!!!!!!!

Dont understand it, why would it slow my internet down? I have all my filters in the correct place etc.

Any ideas would be good.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The only thing I can add is a report from neighbours in the next village.
About 9 subscribers lost their ADSL and the phone was a bit dodgy.
After about 3 weeks BT finally found the problem which was that one household in the same area had a Sky box (they didn't have broadband) and disconnecting that fixed the problem.
I was advised that when the problem was reported to the Sky installer his comment was on the lines of "Oh that's the Thompson box we often have trouble with them".
Make of that what you will but I would certainly check the manufacturer of the box
N/A

Funny you say that i just had my sky box replaced. It was a Thompson box and now its a Panasonic one, intresting.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Did swapping the box fix it? If not it could be that while the wiring filters are set correctly something could have been damaged. A filter that's faulty or a cable that's damaged (trapped in a door, bitten by a dog) could easily cause this kind of broadband problem, although it's rare to kill the voice as well.