cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The long dark night of MaxDSL. 3,10,1001 days?

Dizzley
Grafter

Well it's been 5 days since my Max upgrade. My router is synced at 8192 and I've seen my stable rate get set as "8000" but these days my speed seems to vary from <512kbit to around 4Mbit.

Also I'm getting many, many more timeouts trying to load mainstream web pages like Google.

Wossgoingon? :?

I have the feeling that all is not right in the BT world and I might never see a decent connection again. I used to get 2Mbit rock solid. Now it's all over the place. Will it really settle down somewhere near my stable rate?

I'm really worried. Can someone who's been through this make me feel any better?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: The long dark night of MaxDSL. 3,10,1001 days?

I'm really worried. Can someone who's been through this make me feel any better?

Nope, you can suffer just like the rest of us Wink Tongue

In theory it should settle down as that is the purpose of the full 10 day trial; to establish the best stable speed, but because Max is using ADSL at its limits (as apposed to the concervative limits imposed by BT previously), even small fluctuations in signal levels or noise could make the line unstable. Also some routers/modems are better than others at maintaing syc/connections when the signal degrades.

Even though BT did a lot of Beta testing, there are still far too many variables involved for them to cover all the possible problem conditions so its still a steep learning curve for BT, the ISPs and customers and the ones that suffer are the customers if the automated systems do not work.
Dizzley
Grafter

This is all very well, but it looks like contention will really kick in a lot of the time as we all struggle to get 8Mb. I wouldn't mind if I got 6Mb + or - 2Mb but seeing contended speeds drop to 512Mb will be painful. Can't we get some kind of guaranteed service?

I hope this is going to be transient. If not it's going to be like the Wild West.
N/A

disley,

the arguement there would be that BT do not offer a SLA and as such there is no guarantee to you for any level of service. This being said it was also said on the forums that should you suffer an impacting amount of downtime or period of severe problems ( such as pre dial up speeds for a couple of months ) Plusnet will be sure to try and obtain a refund for you from BT and in turn pass this back on to you.

Apart from this, BT do not have to guarantee you anything ( or so I understand ).

Yup and the contention wars begin...
Dizzley
Grafter

..there is no guarantee to you for any level of service... ...pre dial up speeds for a couple of months...
:shock:

Mmm. "Guarantee" was a bit strong. I was hoping that the BB network might be designed to cope with a significant number of 8Meg users. I still hope so. If the speed fluctuations I'm seeing are going to settle down then all well and good; otherwise we are all going to see irritating contention on MaxDSL where previously we got something like full line speed. So: will I have to move to an account or an ISP with better contention?

Why is it that those who have moved to other ISPs are allegedly reporting better speeds? That is a crunch question. I still have some faith left in PlusNet. 570k last night Sad, 6700k this morning. Smiley.

Is the grass really greener elsewhere?
N/A

So: will I have to move to an account or an ISP with better contention?

Any contention based at the exchange is out of the control of an ISP ( obviously ). The only contention an ISP can control is the contention on their own network and infrastructure. This is ( i believe ) still the 30:1 on premier accounts etc etc.

Personally I would wait and see how things pan out. Dont forget a lot of people are getting maxed out and there is plenty left to be done. You have no obligations here with Plusnet and you are free to leave whenever you wish, if you move you have the problem of two monthly subscriptions and then the contracts etc etc

I am the same if im honest. I would rather have the max possible speed, but am also inclined to think that the little increase I have got ( 240Kb/s -> 420Kb/s ) is a hell of a lot better than a kick in the nether regions.

Plusnet have always tried to do right by me ( even during times of bad speed ) and so I will give credit for this. Its up to you how you wish to play the game...

Regards,
N/A

I was hoping that the BB network might be designed to cope with a significant number of 8Meg users.

Nope.
It's designed for a significant number of 2Mb customers. Lots of 8Mb customers just floods it all down in a bit pit of tar meaning you get slow speeds.

All praise ADSL2. :S