cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The grass may not be greener

Community Veteran

Just a little tale of my experience of migration...

I know others will have gone perfectly well, but some dont - and as usual "Chesterfield's luck" has prevailed once more...

If you are considering leaving, then just take a moment to reflect...

I used my Mac code on 13th December, I elected a product from EFH, one of my friends is with them and has had no issues, his speeds and latency on the same exchange as myself were very good. - £18.99 for 15gb usage per month - staright forward no frills and to my knowledge no ellacoyas in sight.

So, later that day I receive an email that advises me of my login to the control panel, the area where I set up my 10 pop 3 emails etc etc.

I click the webpage link in the email, and it cant find the page. This was the first sign....

I log onto the forums for the isp and soon find that the email I have been sent contains duff links, wrong phone numbers and wrong email addresses.. Heres where I get that "oh dear, here we go" feeling...

So I find the correct page to log into the control panel - whack in my details and "username or password incorrect" appears...

Now Im convinced Im in for a fun time...

Log on to the forums, make a few noises, send a few emails and someone decides to try and help me out and look into my case..

Just over a week later and I get an email stating that my router login and password are ready.. Funny, they dont look like all the other customers... Thats because the isp efh has just been taken over by 186k, and they appear to me to have made what can be descrived as a "little mess" of this takeover.

My login for the router works. Great. Speeds are excellent and latency excellent - though it must be pointed out that since Plusnet took the brakes off my account, the speeds on my plusnet login are EXACTLY the same.

Im now in a situation where I have a login for the router, but access to no email with my new provider, and no idea of how long it will be before they have me set up fully.

Im hoping that I can keep the two running (plusnet and efh/186k) until my other ISP has me fully set up, or they have me fully refunded and Ill just stay here.

So - in my experience, was the migration worth the hastle? Nope.

Would I stay here if my new isp agrees to a full refund, yep - but id switch to PAYG.

It is such ashame that Plusnet could just not admit that they were throttling people who had not breached any limits, instead of sidestepping the issue and fixing it on the quiet.

If Plusnet could have just held their hands up and admitted that they had got a little trigger happy with the ellacoyas, then I may have stopped here - its just the feeling I got when it was clear that they had overstepped the mark with traffic management made me want to switch.

I was concerned though that even when being managed, that my latency was through the roof 700+ms, I know the ellacoyas would have been throttling my http traffic at peak times, but it seems that the management must have been having a disasterous effect on latency too.

So - yes there may be issues here, but the grass is not always greener. If PN could just be honest when they make a complete shambles of traffic management, appologise to the users that have been unfairly managed, and start to focus on the customers rather than where they can tweak and twist the network - then Im sure people will be able to see the network management as a good thing - Plusnt have in my opinion takn their eye off the ball whilst playing with the new ellacoya toys.

Will I ever migrate? Who knows. Do I wish I had just switched to PAYG instead of migrating? Yup.

You live and learn. I suppose people could look at my experience and use it as a reason to give PN just another chance, if PN can leave the ellacoyas alone for a while and return to the good old days, then Im confident that those chances will not become last ones.

Ta,
Chris.
(customer of two ISP's and feeling like the nowhere man in the sea of nothing - yellow submarine 196Cool.
32 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi Chris

I'm sorry to hear that things did not go too well for you, whilst the migration process is pretty slick these days things can and do go wrong unfortunately.

With regards to us, internally we have returned to the customer focused attitude we always used to have, and that will become crystal clear over the next few months with our external communication.
10crawford
Grafter

Chris

Sorry to hear about your problems.

At the moment I am glad I made the decision to wait for the new year before requesting my MAC. Speeds have been good the last few days and if they stay this way I won't need to move.

Ok there have been some problems with the email service but from my point of view I will give them a bit longer to sort that one out.

I hope the speeds of the last week can continue long into 2007!
Community Veteran

Glad to hear that Mand, you never know, I may be back (dont groan too loudly all you lot :lol: )

Someone at the new ISP is on the case at the moment, so maybe things will be fixed shortly - it certainly seems like ome progress is being made. I just thought Id post up to show what can happen during migration, so its not something to be done flippantly.

Have a good Christmas one and all.
Liam
Grafter

2007 will be our year guys. The Vision of 2007 document that we will be sending out soon will highlight, in part, some of our plans.

We really do want to regain our place as the most recommended ISP. We can't do that without your support. And if we don't provide you with a quality connection (with quality support) at a good price - then we won't get your support.

Here's to a fantastic 2007 - and Merry Christmas to you all!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well promising words Liam.

Just hope 2007 won't be your last year, should the board decide to sell up - can't see the brand being kept if BT take over.
sophos9
Grafter

Chesterfield.... the PN experience is getting better by the day... fast HTTP, fast FTP and all is stable

I even heard that p2p was blazing in peak hours...
Liam
Grafter

Just hope 2007 won't be your last year, should the board decide to sell up - can't see the brand being kept if BT take over.

I'd bet completely otherwise. But that's for another discussion.
N/A

I wonder if the "vision for 2007" is to get elacoyas working how you want them or to drop the things though.

A lot of the problems have come about because of the "management" of bandwidth, and there's plenty of other ISPs who will let us use our bandwidth in any way we choose. It's all ones and zeros whether it's p2p or http.

Another problem is the constant half truths and contradictions about what is being done, and lack of information before hand. For me, honesty is more important than speed.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

From a Comms point of view we tell you as much as we can as quickly as we can. Sometimes we can get stuff wrong, but it is not in any way intentional. If we waited to get things confirmed and proof read and such like the information would often be out of date (when looking at p1 problems and such like).

That said, we know we have messed up some of the communication this year, and are now a lot more joined up between departments to make sure the info we give you guys is totally accurate and still relevant.

With regards to the Ellacoya's, management is important, otherwise we would be back to the problems of a few weeks ago. We know where we went wrong with the implementation, and will not be making that mistake again.
Community Veteran

The problem from my point of view is that PN did not acknowledge this problem until it was too late.

And to date nobody has ever admited that my account was being managed, even though I was under the peak time limits. It was clear that someone got trigger happy with the ellacoyas and plucked a figure from thin air (2%) and managed the connections accordingly, without even considering for a moment that some of those top 2% may actually be doing nothing wrong.

That for me is where it fell apart - it showed that more effort was being put into management of the network and various protocols, than was being put into ensuring the "law abiding" customers got what they deserved.

Hopefully this will serve as a reminder that while network management is essential with a business model like plusnets, it has to go hand in hand with ensuring that when it is used for "punishment", it only affects those that deserve to be affected.
Ianwild
Grafter

That for me is where it fell apart - it showed that more effort was being put into management of the network and various protocols, than was being put into ensuring the "law abiding" customers got what they deserved.

I think those two things go hand in hand. We definitely dropped the ball in the last three months of this year in terms of keeping on top of our broadband network management. Because of the way we are set-up, it was very important we kept on top of that and our failure there has been apparent for all to see. It happened like it did though, and it's not been the most comfortable of rides in getting back to where we needed to be. My take is that the reasons behind this are not down to us becoming complacent, but simply because we all got so focussed on working the CSC and Support issues that we let our routine housekeeping operations slip. I think we're pretty much back on top of both things now, and the causes of us spreading ourselves too thinly have hopefully gone.

What I can say is that a 2% figure was never plucked out of the air. All of this comes back to us looking at customers that are using our products in a way above which they were designed (in this case in a way that was costing us money*) and advising / managing that appropriately. The nature of where we got to meant that going back and trying to belatedly catch up with our housekeeping affected a lot more people than it should have done. What did happen to you Chesterfield was a result of the diagnostic processes we had to follow and not an implementation of a changed product design or anything like that.

We are very aware that the mistakes we made here have left a bad taste, especially in light of historical decisions we've taken. We are certainly sorry to all customers who experienced an undue, albeit temporary, deterioration in service - It's certainly not what we aimed for.

I think you'll see some interesting and positive changes if you watch this space for a little while longer (Although being an eternal optimist, it's a fair comment if you suggest that I always say that!).

Ian

(* Even after peak time usage management was applied you can still move a lot of data at 512K...!)
N/A

well i dont think i have ever gone over 20gb in any month since being with plusnet..i have moaned about sending the odd for example 1gb file to friend in usa.. and for weeks now the upload to send these files has been pathetic.. plusnet do nothing for me as in stop managing a normal user.. if i have to be throttled to an almost standstill never mind peak or offpeak its anytime...download is normal speed but hey funny aint it i do more upload than download... it dont work and no help from support .. so i have asked for my mac... and i will take the chance of another isp..if it works for you then fine but it sure as h*** dont for me..and if they dont want to keep me thats fine too....
Community Veteran

(* Even after peak time usage management was applied you can still move a lot of data at 512K...!)

Yup - but after network management was applied I had latency figures of 750+ ms, which is certainly no good what so ever for games.

I know network management should not affect latency, but it did. Speeds aside my response times were 750ms+, after management was removed I got 50ms. So management was certainly causing me a headache when it came to gaming. The primary reason for me moving.
Ianwild
Grafter

An upload problem like that could be many things, but it's probably not us managing your upload speeds (A much more difficult thing for us to do with an Ellacoya if you think about how it works - As far as I know we haven't ever tried!). Although upload is counted towards usage allowances, upload capacity isn't generally a problem for us. Are you sure you don't have anything else eating the upload capacity of your line?