cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of standard e-mail.

davidpanther
Grafter

I'm given to believe that when the new (beta) e-mail goes up, the old ('standard') will no longer be available.

My attempts at using beta have been fruitless as it uses a pop-up, which means I have to lower my IE security settings.

I'm posting this to-

a. bring it up for discussion (though I guess it probably doesn't affect many other people here)

b. ask for any way I can get round this without having to change my IE security settings when I want to access my e-amil
22 REPLIES
N/A

Re: The end of standard e-mail.

Simply choose 'simple' instead of advanced or proffesional.

Problem solved

*removes quote tags before the mods!! :p
Moderators not (John) Drat ! Catch you next time Wink
davidpanther
Grafter

Where do I go to choose 'simple'?
csogilvie
Grafter

http://beta.webmail.plus.net/ and choose Simple in the interface drop down.
davidpanther
Grafter

Cheers for the advice, unfortunately it doesn't work with IE on the high security setting.

The page won't open unless javascript is enabled.
TomMelly
Grafter

I'd suggest using a different browser. The security settings required to make IE safe probably break a fair number of sites. (I'm not recommending dumping IE altogether btw).

How about http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ ?
oliverb
Grafter

If you (Plusnet) insist on using popup features you also break some "kiosk" browsers.

If I recall about a year back I was able to read email from a motorway service station "smartphone" using plusnet webmail. Please try to provide a "flat" interface if at all possible.
N/A

The simple interface is flat.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The front page of the webmail screen will autodetect your browser and try and offer you the best interface for that browser (where possible). You can of course change what it offers. For example with Opera it comes up with the Simple interface.
davidpanther
Grafter

The simple interface is flat.

Not entirely sure what 'flat' means.

But, if it is, then the fact remains that even the 'simple' interface will not operate when IE has security set to 'high'.

I think this is bad as it's quite inconvenint to be switching security settings to read my own e-mails, and, like i said before, the old 'standard' e-mail worked fine under 'high' security settings.
N/A

I agree with this popup stuff, but it doesn't end there!

I have a pop3 account set up in my main post box, so I can read other mail, previously (on the old system) it put a flag which lets me know which mail is from where, but now I have to goto multiple accounts and click the link.

This creates yet another popup window ! not to mention I have to enter my password for the world to see!! its not even masked!

I've tried with Firefox, and it doesn't popup at all, but why should it in IE? Also can you set the default setting log on style like Advanced, basic etc? why do we need so many anyway?

Sorry if I've highjacked the thread a bit, but all roughly based on the popup Cheesy
Community Veteran

All of your issues you have commented on have been mentioned before so PN are aware of them.
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

Unfortunately, we cannot always cater for this level of end-user customisation ("target=blank" is standards-compliant HTML).

Beta webmail (and in future when it becomes standard) will continue to open in a new window, so if the user chooses to block all "popups" they will have trouble viewing the webmail solution.

I'll raise this with the Product Development Team for consideration in future webmail developments, but there's nothing that can currently be done except lower the security settings.

kind regards

Luke
oliverb
Grafter

Please... Do not make your web portal design dependant on pop-up windows.
N/A

My internet banking uses popups..

Lots of important things i use, use them.

I just find ways around keeping IE set at high, like a firewall and spyware scans every 2 weeks or so.. no big deal to me.