cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The downloading of [-SPAM-]

Crowbo
Dabbler

I do that as well, but as yet the spam filters have been good to me and 'real' mail hasn't been caught up with it.

The point I am trying to make is I don't want to have to even download the stuff. If I am confident enough in F9's spam filters I want to be able to decide to have them delete it for me.

Then I don't have to do anything, and no risk of my kids etc somehow seeing some of the **** that comes down the wire.
8 REPLIES
Crowbo
Dabbler

With F9/PlusNet's spam filtering being so accurate, I don't really want to have to download any mail that has been identified as spam.

Is there any way of configuring an e-mail account so that spam is automatically deleted, rather than me having to set up rules etc within my client to filter it out?

Many thanks,

Tim
N/A

Tim,

The main reasons I've heard that F9 or any ISP are reluctant to blackhole mail directly even those flagged as spam is because no spam filtering system is perfect, and so there might be genuine emails which might be identified as spam when they are infact legitimate. If they were voided you would be the first person on the phone complaining about it. So YES! F9 spam filters are NOT perfect but if you were without the filtering your life would be unbearable, I'm sure mine would be too.

Ivan
Crowbo
Dabbler

Ivan thanks. I appreciate what you are saying, but if the choice is the end-user's and not F9's then people cannot complain. If on the spam options on an e-mail account you had [Low] [Medium] [High] [Don't Send Me Spam] then it would be up to me to select Don't send me any. The nearest approach is to blackhole addresses other than specifically set up mailboxes (which can be done by F9), I would like to see that supplemented with the spam blackhole. 90% of my mail is either "Premier" or bounced mail notifications to made-up addresses at one of my domains.
David_W
Rising Star

I set up a rule in my client, if email comes in with [ -SPAM- ] in the title, move to deleted folder. But then i check my deleted folder as a lot of stuff that isnt spam is marked as spam, and even forwarding it to thisisnotspam@ doesnt fix it.
N/A

But then i check my deleted folder as a lot of stuff that isnt spam is marked as spam, and even forwarding it to thisisnotspam@ doesnt fix it.

I believe that functionality has been removed from the spam filter along with the ability to filter by high/ medium/ low. thisisspam@ doesn't work any more either. It is something to do with it being a "off the shelf" solution these days instead of "tailor made".

Mark
David_W
Rising Star

But then i check my deleted folder as a lot of stuff that isnt spam is marked as spam, and even forwarding it to thisisnotspam@ doesnt fix it.

I believe that functionality has been removed from the spam filter along with the ability to filter by high/ medium/ low. thisisspam@ doesn't work any more either. It is something to do with it being a "off the shelf" solution these days instead of "tailor made".

Mark

That would explain why it dont work no more... if its not broke, lets break it!! :twisted:
orrery
Grafter

Is there any way of configuring an e-mail account so that spam is automatically deleted

I have for many years forwarded my main email account via spamcop (who's filering system is truly fantastic) - there I can review the spam and choose to forward it, delete it or report it. The system is about 99.9% accurate, but I still get a false positive sometimes.

Recently, my email ISP has introduced their own filtering system which just blackholes a huge amount of spam - even though they claim it doesn't do that. I now see almost no spam, but I know that this must mean that some genuine mail is being blackholed.

I'm now having to close down use of that account because I can't live with such a ridiculous system (no, it's not F9).

regards, Ian
N/A

Hi crowbo,

I use a muti-layered approach to dealing with spam. I have the F9 spam filtering service to remove the most gross & obvious spam, & ontop of that I also use MailWasher Pro on my own machine.

Mailwasher will allow me to delete off the server any remaining spam I dont actually want to physically download. You can remove massive amounts of spam in seconds, mailwasher can also be setup to learn what is spam & what is email you want/need. Just for those who may be interested mailwasher reports that 86% of all my mail is spam & junk.

http://www.mailwasher.net or http://www.firetrust.com

Ivan