cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The difference between Business and Residential Packages

N/A

Given the recent price change and contention change with the new Residential package I decided to compare the difference between the business package (which I am currently on) and the residential Package.

The 2Mb Small business Pro Premier package costs £65.99 and has a 20:1 contention ratio.

The new Residential Package will be 2Mb, cost £21.99 and have a 30:1 contention ratio.

There is a £44 price difference between these packages and only a slight difference in contention and unless you are a heavy user contention is something you don’t notice.
From what I can tell the only other difference is a .co.uk domain name which comes with the business package.

I contacted force9 to see what they had to say about this, not surprisingly and quite reasonably they decided not to comment until the new residential package was properly released.

Force9 were obviously in a hurry to improve there residential packages they didn’t think of the difference between the other packages they offer.

Has anyone else noticed this or is there some difference in package I haven’t noticed.
9 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

HI there,

Another difference is that the network management of the residential packages is not a requirement on a business account so does not apply.

Business accounts provided at 20:1 are also given priority in the event that a fault is raised on the line.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

What kind of network managment do you apply to residential packages that do don't to buisness pakages?

Your network traffic is routed through the same systems (its only treated differently) so prioritys would be the same, wouldn't they?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi there,

We have sophisticated Ellacoya equipment on our network that can differentiate between the different account types we offer.

It's pretty clever too.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

I have read some of the bumf on Ellacoya's website and it does seem like clever device; is that why you decided to get rid of the SLA.
Did someone stumble upon the hardware and realise that would be a lot better than the SLA?

Despite the preferential treatment of the business traffic I still don't see how it’s worth an extra £44, shouldn’t you reconsider your pricing structure or offer something else as part of the business package?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Do you mean FUP rather than SLA?

If this is the case then the ellacoya kit probably helped in our decision however the main reason was recent changes in the market meant that FUP was not the best solution for us.
N/A

Yes, sorry the FUP

I would still like to know how you can charge so much more or offer so little extra.
Can't you at least review the pricing for the buisness packages?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The prices for the business packages are still competitive with other ISP's business offerings. If it becomes that this is no longer the case we will review the business pricing at that time.
N/A

Do you offer blocks of 8 or 16 IP's on any of your residential packages?

This is an unrelated point point but i didn't want to open a new thread just to make a comment.
I have just noticed that you changed your login page, the font that you are now using is unreadbale the 'username', 'password' and other small text can only barely be made out.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

If a customer can justify it we can allow an 8IP block on a home account, however in most cases we would not allow it.

16IP blocks are only really available on business accounts.

The problem with the small fonts was raised to me yesterday and I have raised it as an internal problem. It doesn't seem to effect most pages though, only a few of them.