cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Ups and Downs of a Broadband User

N/A

Cheesy After waiting years for my exchange to be activated I was delighted to hear the news that in January 2005 I would finally get the chance at a Broadband connection.

Cheesy With the order placed in December I only had one more month to wait for my Unlimited Broadband.

:x What’s this? Now we are discussing FUP, and my brand new Unlimited connection will be no more!

Cheesy Finally I get my head around the FUP, and all-in-all it seems a fair way to proceed. My usage over the two months so far is way less than 10Gb per month. Well done F9 for finding a fair solution that avoids hard-capping. I could even downgrade and save myself a little cash.

Cheesy Wow! A free speed upgrade to 2Mb as soon as BT can get to my exchange, with additional increases to 4Mb/8Mb in the near future. Good grief I can hardly believe my luck. Being less than 400 yds from the exchange I shall be eagerly awaiting 8Mb.

:x Hang on a second, don’t get too excited, on past experience there is no way that BT will go near my exchange for months.

Cheesy But wait, it’s there in black and white, MYMAR to be upgraded in April 2005. Now this is getting too good to be true.

Cheesy Mid-April, a reboot of the router later, and what do you know? The line synched at 2Mb. BT have really been on the ball this time. Lets check the announcements, email and connection speed.

:x Hmmm…
No announcement. No email. No 2Mb.

Cool Ha well, it will be here soon, I’m sure F9 have been informed by BT and will have my re-grade in hand.

Cheesy Another forced reboot later and downloads now running at 230K. Well done F9, looks like the re-grade has been implemented, we’re really in the fast lane now!

:x Sorry, a duff router has let you connect at 2Mb, your connection is now back at 1Mb.

:shock: FUP cancelled!! What? After coming round to the FUP, it’s not even getting off the ground. So what’s going to replace it?

Cheesy 2Mb at 21.99. That will save me 8 smackers a month.

:x Higher prices for higher speeds, don’t like the sound of that at all. This is certainly not what I was lead to believe.

And now everything is up in the air until further announcements are made next week because…..Huh??!

To be continued…..

A Confused/Happy/Unhappy/Dismayed customer, quite frankly I don't know what to think at the moment :roll:

Graham
22 REPLIES
N/A

well said.
N/A

[removed by author]
N/A

If you think of FUP as Bobby Ewing walking out of the shower in Dallas, it's *4 upgrades for free by the end of the year.

:lol:
Nice one queeg
zone8
Grafter

£21.99 gets you 2Mb Unlimited*
£29.99 gets you 4Mb Unlimited*
£39.99 gets you 8Mb Unlimited*

yeah i think this is how the prices will be turning out which is not so bad Smiley & when the 18 mbit connection comes out which aint to far away the prices will change to

£21.99 gets you 4Mb Unlimited*
£29.99 gets you 8Mb Unlimited*
£39.99 gets you 18Mb Unlimited*

:-D so get free upgrades from 2mbit to 4mbit Smiley
N/A

Rather than worry about the history of it.

But are not historical events the way we form an opinion?

Think of it this way...

Sep-04

£21.99 gets you 512kb Unlimited*
£29.99 gets you 1Mb Unlimited*
£39.99 gets you 2Mb Unlimited*

Sep-05 (possibly)

£21.99 gets you 2Mb Unlimited*
£29.99 gets you 4Mb Unlimited*
£39.99 gets you 8Mb Unlimited*

(* unless you take the ####)

If you think of FUP as Bobby Ewing walking out of the shower in Dallas, it's *4 upgrades for free by the end of the year.

As a light hearted look at a new broadband users experience over two months since connection (plus several years previous with F9, stuck on 56K) I am just sharing my view of the world. As for the free upgrades, F9 giveth and F9 taketh away!

I cannot see any of the recent proposed /actual / to be published product announcements will have any real effect on my usage patterns, but the story line does not read well. As for the total U-turn on FUP, that's purely a decision for F9/PlusNet. Customers will make up their own minds as to what effect it has, actual or perceived, and the actions they will take.
zone8
Grafter

well we are currently on 30:1 from reading other posts & all seems pretty smooth and cool. very true all customers will have to make up their own minds. Im sure please im not with plusnet side & im on F9 side LoL plusnet forum is just full of people screaming LoL F9 is totaly chilled out as normal Smiley
N/A

Im sure please im not with plusnet side & im on F9 side LoL plusnet forum is just full of people screaming LoL F9 is totaly chilled out as normal Smiley

Dont know what it is, we get exactly the same stuff but I would always choose F9 over PlusNet!!
zone8
Grafter

LoL maybe all the brainy people are on F9 which knows what they are talking about :lol:
N/A

On a similar note, my connection has been up and down ...

Smiley Paid for an upgrade to 2mb - BT confirm my line can support it.

Cheesy My lne is upgraded in only 4 days !

Shocked The FUP is cancelled

Cry My F9 speed drops back to 512kb although my connection to BT is still 2mb ! What gives ? It's been like it for 24 hours as far as I can tell.

Anybody else noticed wildly varying speeds ? I've checked at different times of the day and it seems to be 'capped' at 512.
zone8
Grafter

what you will need todo is get into contact with F9 if you got upgraded to 2mbit & then its gone back down to 512 again. maybe something they will need to change on their end for you to get the full speed of your connection.
N/A

what you will need todo is get into contact with F9 if you got upgraded to 2mbit & then its gone back down to 512 again. maybe something they will need to change on their end for you to get the full speed of your connection.

Been there, done that! Still waiting for any other answer than "soon". My line was updated 10 days ago.
zone8
Grafter

last couple of days the support from the company has been pretty bad. Not sure what to tell ya. I dont work for the company so cant get them to speed up lol
N/A

Exactly!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Anybody else noticed wildly varying speeds ? I've checked at different times of the day and it seems to be 'capped' at 512.

Give your modem/router a reboot you should now be on 2Mbps.