cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The SUP.. explained by an outsider.

loveridge
Grafter

Dear all. I have been a Plusnet subscriber for 3 years, and this is the first time I have felt I needed to post on these forums, and to be honest, I have only glanced at these forums when plusnet have implimented something I needed clarity on, (fair usage, sustainable usage, blah blah).
What prompted this uncharacteristic rant from me was the email that has become, "Folklore" within these forums. I was amazed that my surfing/download habits have been constant over the time I have been with PN, yet all of a sudden, I am told I am using my connection excessively, at least according to the Sustainable usage policy. I wont carry on about what I did next, as its on par with most other angry posters, excpept that PN customer service advised me to switch to a business account, as it is unlimited with no restrictions, (still waiting after 2 days for a reply to my ticket)

I took this sorry set of excuses for customer service to a freind of the family who is a solicitor.
*I must point out that I have not made legal proceedings against plusnet, but merely asked a friend about this situation in an unofficial way, and the following is not a legal statement from a solicitor*
He took a while to read the T&C, and the new SUP and a few of the posts on here. After removing his glasses and pinching his nose in the , "WTF am I reading?" kind of way, he gave me an analogy.
He told me to translate this into the real world, and chose the roads and our cars as an example. He told me to look at my internet connection as my car, and to see the roads as the internet itself. Consider that I take a similar journey each day in my car, along similar roads. These roads have no speed limits. The highway code, (PN's T&C) states that you need to obey the rules, or risk punishment, and tells you that speed limits may be changed at any time and can look for changes at the police HQ.
One day, you are happily going along your usual journey, and a traffic cop, (PN email dept), tell you that you are breaking the speed limit, and have been for the past two months, and take you out of your car, and make you carry on your journey on foot, confiscating you car.
When you think, "What speed limit?" and ask the policman, he says, "For the past couple months, you have been found to be going faster than the limit that we found it necessary to impose yesterday, but we havent actually put the signs up yet. Its all covered in the highway code, and as stated in the highway code, the change has been posted on a wall inside our staff canteen for a while now, back at the station".
It was also implied that the T&C were not the ones I signed to, and to state that a non reply to changes constitutes acceptance, that I could make a fortune if I implied that principle in other ways, (If I email everyone and say, "unless you reply to tell me otherwise, I am the new deed holder to your house, and reserve the right to marry your daughter", regarldless of if you read the email or not!) Wink

In summary, the solicitor friend told me that if a traffic offence appeared in court with similar circumstances, then the prosecutors would be charged with contept of court, as its totally ludicrous.
Although he did say that unlike the highways, I do have a choice who to use as my ISP, and the fact that I actually pay a monthly charge for this treatment, that I might as well use the money to pay someone to slap me in the face for not seeing into the future.
11 REPLIES
rammie1976
Grafter

But you see I also drive my car and you're slowing me down....get out the way!!! :lol:
loveridge
Grafter

That is true, but wasnt the point of the analogy. Smiley The point was how badly users are informed.

Rather than restrict the heavy users, why not create a package for them? I would not be unhappy to pay extra for a 512K line that is unrestricted. (which is what I originaly signed up for) 2Mb speed is useless if I have to monitor it. Whats the point of a 200mph supercar on a 70mph motorway?

I use downloading software regularly, but I have a throttle on it which limits the bandwidth to 50k/s which is 25% of my alotted capacity, so how can that be classed as heavy use?
rammie1976
Grafter

I'm afraid I can no longer reply, as apparently my original post, according to a PM from ACarr was "...your own comments have no value towards the thread, other than to berate the user and provoke an argument. "

Ratnered! :lol:
Saturn
Grafter

loveridge - what a brilliant first post! Congratulations.

It perfectly encapsulates the dissatisfaction and concern I feel at the moment about the way PN have been behaving. I hope PN read it and take heed.
loveridge
Grafter

Thank you Saturnet.

I dont think it matters if PN read it or not, they wont take any notice of me, I am after all a cutsomer, and never right. Smiley

So then, can anyone explain any benefit for any other package over the basic £14.99 one, now that there are restrictions?
N/A

Loveridge,

What is the software to which you refer?
can it be set for peak/off-peak downloads?
loveridge
Grafter

I use Azureus, to download my files. It only has a throttle built in, not a scheduler.

I was just wondering, is this policy of plusnet an attempt at stamping out piracy on its networks? What else is large downloading used for? :lol:
N/A

loveridge - Azureus does have a scheduler. Open it up, go to the Plugins menu, choose Install Plugins, get the list from sourceforge, choose 'Speed Scheduler' and install it. Here's the description from SourceForge:
Schedule your upload and download speeds based on time and day of week.
SpeedScheduler is an Azureus plugin for managing upload and download speeds on a schedule. Many ISPs (mine included) regulate how much their users can download/upload, but those regulations are typically on a schedule. In my case, there is no limit to the amount I can download between the hours of 12 midnight and 7am on weekdays, so I wanted Azureus to work with that schedule, setting slow speeds during the day, and fast speeds during the night. SpeedScheduler does that for you
loveridge
Grafter

Many thanks BBCity, I was not aware of any plugins to schedule azureus.
N/A

There is even a plugin to get around Ellacoya if you look hard enough Wink
and anthother to bump you ratio up
Sandro
Grafter

I was just wondering, is this policy of plusnet an attempt at stamping out piracy on its networks? What else is large downloading used for? :lol:

Well, I used to use P2P to help share some audiomaterial for folks with visual problems - it is usually not available in some countries and the copyright terms allow me to do it.